Tired, I mean retired!

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yesterday was my last day of working for wages. I?ve retired, after 55 years of work I?m finally going to enjoy time doing the things that are more interesting and pleasurable. Some hunting and fishing, some prospecting/mining and of course home projects.

I also will try to participate on these forums more than I have in the past.

It?s kind of strange feeling right now.

Mike

Last edited:
Upvote 4

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In retirement, it is sometimes necessary to recognize the selective hearing and memory loss - that can be triggered by such words as "build", "addition", "remodel", "re-do" and by phrases such as "you know what we should do?" or my favorite "I want a sitting room", etc. Hearing and memory can shut down to varying degrees (IMO, an adaptive response) when such trigger words or phrases are first detected by the retired ear.

LOL! That's funny stuff. Sometimes my alarm goes off when I think I hear "Why don't we", but since my ears are retired I'm not really sure what I heard.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats Mike and welcome to the club! I?ve been out 5.5 years or so and as mentioned above
- it?s amazingly great
- you need to have projects, hobbies, friends, etc.
- do something awesome frequently, none of us know how many days we have remaining!

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Oregon Viking, thanks. Yes I plan on doing some more prospecting in the near future. Just a few home projects to finish ��. Give me a jingle if you get down this way.

You bet Nevada Prospector, let me know when you get this way again. Quite a difference between Nevada and the northcoast huh?

Mike

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got one more thing to say, not for Delnorter but a humble warning for those among us also retiring or retired-

I used to work construction. I got out before age fifty. One one of the reasons I got out was that I discovered that the average lifespan of a union carpenter after retirement is just six years. The average for iron workers is even more dismal, a mere four years. And do you know why?

-Alcoholism is NOT a hobby. :BangHead:

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoying retirement but there’s sure a lot of things to do here at home and for others. Didn’t have much time for prospecting or detecting.

Screening a small amount of cons today. Got a little deer hunting in but no buck for me this year. The Siskiyou Mountain are sure getting steeper.

Attachments

• A109EC14-9B37-4B29-B616-401352D119D3.jpeg
    A109EC14-9B37-4B29-B616-401352D119D3.jpeg
    587.6 KB · Views: 29
  • B5DA2FD8-C4B3-4F97-901E-3645E4C5E419.jpeg
    B5DA2FD8-C4B3-4F97-901E-3645E4C5E419.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 98C8F083-675C-4B4C-B1F7-EB12D5C29A0D.jpeg
    98C8F083-675C-4B4C-B1F7-EB12D5C29A0D.jpeg
    170.9 KB · Views: 28

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your retirement Mike! I retired 16 years ago and still going strong. I bought a Harley-Davidson and the wife and I and friends have been traveling around the western part of the US since. Seen and visited a lot of bucket lists sites and other places I never thought I would ever visit! But there will come the time when you honestly say "when did I ever have time to work?" Good luck! Enjoy the rest of your life!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more retirement comment...when you have one of those nightmares about work and it wakes you up, you will be so happy that it was just a dream! Go back to sleep with a smile!

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike I really appreciate the invite. I’d like to do that very much. Please keep me posted on your progress with treatment and mining this spring.

Have you ever been to redwood country and the beautiful Six Rivers National Forest area? You’re sure welcome to come stay with us while recuperating.

All the best with your fight.
Mike

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you on the struggle both directions Herb. I have to pace myself on the way up, but actually do pretty good on the downhill. My sons and most of the younger generation “bone out” their deer where they take them. I’ve never done that, always having carried or dragged them whole. If I’m very far from the rig next successful hunt I’ll sure try this Method.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread