TITANIUM DIGGER

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I've bought many tools in my 65 years of life and nothing upsets me more than to have one break!
I've used many hand diggers that I thought were quality only to have them bend or fail while trying to enjoy a
little leisure time, metal detecting, gem hunting, gold prospecting, or just digging ginseng.
I started many years ago building my own and my metal of choice is Grade 5 Titanium.
It's a metal not easy to work.. it's just about as stubborn as I am!:laughing7:
Being 45% lighter than steel, I can increase the gauge and even tempered 4130 chromoly can't match the strength to weight.
More rust/corrosion resistant than stainless steel and second only to pure gold.

The blade on the digger is 8 1/2" long, it is 2" wide and 3" at the hand guard and 1/8"(.125") thick.
The handle is 1" round tubing .065" and has a 3/4"X4"X1/8" vertical spline inside for strength. Both spline and tube welded solid to hand guard. The over all length is 13 1/2".
Grip material is the same as the hand grips on commercial exercise equipment and non-slip.
Sheath is made from black UHMW and stainless steel. It was made with an open design to prevent dirt accumulation.
The digger weighs 11 ounces

When I ask a tool.. "Are you ready!?". I want the tool to answer.. "Any time..any place.. and under any conditions!"
Now is that too much to ask!?:dontknow:

Best at ya!
-Wayne

IMG_6193.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

Look nice WOW!!!! you made this ?

Now THATS a KNIFE!! :)

You have great skills.

Great job on that digger. I really like it. When I yard hunt I still use a swiss bayonet. That is old school for sure. Your tool looks like it would be good where care and precision is needed. If I am in the woods and fields its shovel time.

Great job on that digger. I really like it. When I yard hunt I still use a swiss bayonet. That is old school for sure. Your tool looks like it would be good where care and precision is needed. If I am in the woods and fields its shovel time.

Hi, Neighbor!

I have several digging tools.. I made this one to also be used for digging corundum in NC and GA. or gold prospecting, ginseng. etc.
I also carry a shovel and pick/ mattock in the woods.. they're titanium too.

Hrm that's rather outstanding!...what do I have to do to obtain one ? lol

Mike

Well, Mike..
You have to watch eBay until the metal you need is listed..
after that, you'll need a good supply of sanding disc and grinding wheels because the titanium eats them up real fast!
Then you got to make sure no one is near by while you're working.. unless "4-letter" words don't bother them!:laughing7:

Beautiful work. I have only worked with sheet titanium and that was a real drill bit killer as I remember. That welding is outstanding. That pattern work on the cutting grooves is masterful. You must be a metal worker or machinist to produce work of that quality. OK. now you can send me the knife, lol Frank...-five star.png
cm.png

Beautiful work. I have only worked with sheet titanium and that was a real drill bit killer as I remember. That welding is outstanding. That pattern work on the cutting grooves is masterful. You must be a metal worker or machinist to produce work of that quality. OK. now you can send me the knife, lol Frank...-View attachment 1048839
View attachment 1048842

Hey, Frank..

Yeah, titanium can be a real pain to work! Every metal has it's little tricks to make it easier and with titanium every process is different.

Got into a disagreement about drilling titanium while talking about sand scoop making.. I'd made the remark that each hole drilled in titanium sheet(.071") was done in less than 3 seconds! Going first with a 1/8" pilot.. then to a 1/4".. then 3/8".. and last to a 1/2".
They said I was joking and it couldn't be done.. especially after I said I used a $75 Craftsman China made drill press!:laughing7:
I ended up making a video to show it could be done.. I wasn't trying to be a smart-butt.. I was trying to help some of the guys that had problems drilling holes that wanted to build their own scoop!

I've been a metal fabricator for 45 years(retired) and have worked in many different types of fabrication.. from aircraft to nuclear power. And have had welding certifications in most metals under different processes. I even had a certification for welding plastics for a blow pipe company!:laughing7:

Frank.. I'll send ya the digger after I get through using it!:laughing7:

Hey.. because you're a friend, I'll let you see the titanium drilling video... just don't laugh at my Tennessee Mountain Talk!!:laughing7:

When I ask a tool.. "Are you ready!?". I want the tool to answer.. "Any time..any place.. and under any conditions!"
Now is that too much to ask!?

I buy tools and such to use them not coddle them also.If tools cant stand some abuse every once and a while then theyre not tools,theyre garbage.I dont repeat the mistake of buying them again.

WTG thats a sweet looking tool.Looks like it can take punishment and keep going..HH

*Frank.. I'll send ya the digger after I get through using it!
laughing7.gif

Don't bother, at 77 it will out live me by quite a bit. Frank...-111-2 de Vinci.jpg

How much for you to sell me one? :) Its awesome...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back