What's new

to dig or not to dig

mission

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
61
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in iowa and search plowed fields for surface finds. i see that some of you dig, and deep! i have a campsite that is on a small hilltop and was wondering if/how i should go about "getting below the surface" the topsoil has basicly eroded to the lowland and the top of the hill is getting light colored, we find most things making their way down the hill so maybe its too late and nature already did the dig, any info on digging would be great
 
Upvote 0
:wave: Welcome! Try and locate (by digging) the area that has the highest distribution of finds, and concentrate in that area. If you are not finding that many artifacts at the top of the hill, most likely most of the artifacts have already eroded down the hill. Good Luck in your search!
 
Tony Beets: "Drill holes, drill holes, drill holes". Meaning "test pit, test pit, test pit". If there's a chance of finding small beads, then screen it. You might judge the depth of the site on top by how far down the slope the stuff is coming out at.... just depends on soil layers. In most of FL, for example, Woodland is just under the humic top layer, with archaic up to 4 feet down, paleo deeper up to six feet down to hardpan. Some sites you can just throw a shovel and where it lands is where you start. Make sure your test pits are deep so you don't miss multiple habitation/use layers. What types and time period points do you generally find there at the campsite?
 
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a good spot. First thing I do is make sure I have permission to do whatever I want too. Then after I get the ok I will let the owner know what Im doing so there isnt any confusion and I know I wont get in trouble. I havent asked to dig but he has told me I could. The soil here is just so darn hard I havent done it. Good Luck, rock
 
You better check the dig laws in your state first and foremost. Some states won't even allow digging for artifacts on your own property.
 
I have one of those old boring bits that is about one and a half inches in diameter, I twist it down into the soil till I hit hard pan (bottom clay) when I pull it up I look for charcoal, shell or a red burned area, that is usually a fire pit and a good place to start.
 
I've been waiting for another fellow Iowan for a long time... If you own it, dig it... if you have permission, dig it... if it's state ground, take some pics., if your anywhere near NE Iowa, PM me...Good Luck!!
Steve
 
Welcome, mission! Post some of those finds you speak of. We'd all like to see 'em! You sure are right bci, not many Iowans on here. I'm in SE Iowa. Hunting has gone cold for me lately so I haven't posted much. Not enough rain.
 
I am starting to dig in SW Iowa haha. Go Iowans!
 
When I start a test dig I use post hole diggers and go thur the dirt one jab at a time. Then if it looks right I start a 4by4 cube hole, if I find sign has I go down, I take my hole deeper. A probe helps a lot once you get in the ground, good luck:thumbsup:
 
I use a edging spade and sod out a 1x2 foot area when doing test holes. And then carefully search deeper for signs of occupation. You can put the sod back when you are done. I would start digging test holes where the topsoil begins down the slope. I found half of my artifacts on the slope of my site between the water source. The best thing about digging a slope is it is most likely not to be disturbed by the plow. Good luck and let us know what you find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom