IMG48026.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 812
OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
Yes, but it is alot thinner than a nickel. Maybe a slug or plug or whatever you call them things that come out of an electrical box? just a thought. I see something faint on it, but I doubt it will come clean.

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try a rubbing with a piece of tissue paper and a soft stick of charcoal? Sometimes you can see some detail that way.

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
That plug that come out of an electrical box is called a knockout, it is made out of steel and is magnetic. That coin thing could be a worn so thin James II Gun Money small silver shilling 1690 22mm OD. 75% silver. Or some other worn so thin coin.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Have you ever stepped on a slug barefoot? It's gross.
very gross......I know some people who are slugs.....they are gross too.

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would have to agree with Bebop. It looks like an electrical box knockout to me too. I have seen several on the streets in Pittsburgh and I've picked them up thinking they were coins.

Upvote 0
J

JDSCOIN

Wirelessworldinc... hello,

I read your message and what you had said in reply to some questions. I also have looked at the images. You said that you thought that you saw something faint on the 'coin'... my thought was that it might be a flattened 3c piece. They were made of nickel and so, would sound off like a nickel on some detectors and were smaller. Thus, if flattened out, could be the diameter of a nickel, but much thinner. Just a thought.

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0
J

JDSCOIN

Hello Free2Dtect!,

Thank you for the post regarding the Nickel 3 cent piece. But I am not so certain that it is very helpful. I'll tell you the reason why.

First of all, it may depend upon the metal detector itself. Different makes and models tend to read a bit differently (even some detectors which are like tend to do this to some degree, especially if they are different in terms of being either earlier or later models of the same kind of detector).

Another factor is that what I was talking about was a 'flattened' 3c piece; i.e. more 'area' as it is spread out more. Another reason that I thought it may be a flattened 3c piece is because of how it had corroded. It appears to have a high copper content. If it were silver, as opposed to nickel, the silver content most likely would have been higher (unless it is a foreign coin) and it would have probably darkened instead of corroding as this one obviously has.

Also, something else that probably should be said here is that the 'coin' (if that is what it is) is in very bad condition. Even if it were something which we could positively identify, it most likely would not be worth much. If, for instance, it IS a flattened 3 cent piece, the value would be practically nothing. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

I dug several of the 3 cent pieces in Wisconsin. They turn dark and it does not come off soaking. So your theory is not too valid on this being a flatten version of one. Your claim of them reading in the nickel range validates your knowledge on the subject.

Upvote 0

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Probably a token of some sort. The missouri tax tokens are about the size of a nickel and about half the thickness, if even that. They are made of a zinc alloy and the detail vanishes quite a bit when exposed to the dampness.

Upvote 0
J

JDSCOIN

Here are a few more things to think about (and remember, what we are working from to make this determination).

From what I can see, there appears to be the remnants of a 'rim'. Look closely. Also, if you look closely, you will see that the 'coin' is not perfectly round; but actually, a bit 'oval'. And that, is what would indicate it having been flattened.

I almost said that it could have been a nickel that someone had just rubbed down on cement or whatever, or filed down to be thinner.* But that would not account for the shape of it or any of the other indications which I see present. Besides this, look at the edges. They do not appear to be perfectly round either, there are small 'dents'.

In answer to what was said regarding 3c pieces getting dark, yes, they certainly can get dark. But that is not the only consideration. Perhaps what I had said about silver getting dark (instead of corroding like a nickel and copper coin) confused someone. I mentioned this in relation to the corrosion factor, not apart from it. There are generally certain things that we will find in combination with each other that will tell us what we want to know.

Again, this may be a good exercise in coin identification, something which we have an opportunity to learn something from. But as far as the 'coin' itself goes, it is probably of little value do to the condition that it is in. It may rate in the old standard of grading as a 'poor' at best - IF it can be identified at all. As it is, it is probably only worth the value of the metal that it is made of.

* IF it were a nickel which was simply filed down or otherwise worn down to be thinner than normal, it would most likely still register on most metal detectors as a nickel or in the 'nickel' range. Again, this is due to the same or similar metal content in conjunction with the diameter or 'spread' (area) of the coin within the coil range of the detector. That would be something like the difference on the detector between the same coin being detected at a slightly different depth - it would still register as or in the 'nickel' range. Best regards,

JDSCOIN

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread