Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi badger i,m with you on this one,i too have seen hammered coins of which you speek in several collections of coins.But i own not one

tinpan

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
JDSCOIN said:
Here are a few more things to think about (and remember, what we are working from to make this determination).

From what I can see, there appears to be the remnants of a 'rim'. Look closely. Also, if you look closely, you will see that the 'coin' is not perfectly round; but actually, a bit 'oval'. And that, is what would indicate it having been flattened.

Again, this may be a good exercise in coin identification, something which we have an opportunity to learn something from. But as far as the 'coin' itself goes, it is probably of little value do to the condition that it is in.

Here is the thing...
Like JDSCOIN said, if it's IDable its probably only worth the metal it's made of. So...I suggest to at least try and ID it. If it's silver, a baking soda/water soak will take a lot of the gunk off. If not, try electrolysis. If you think that there is ANY chance this is something that if it is IDable and worth something, DO NOT do either of these. It could destroy its value. The other thing I first thought of when I saw it was just what everyone else said...a slug or possibly a really worn token.

Upvote 0

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
If it range up as a nickel, probably just a worn down shield nickel. I have a couple so worn down that they look like slugs. Very little detail left on them and very thin. The only thing, they come out dark brownish red around here

Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How interesting. It could be a worn-out old coin. and maybe even silver- I have had some silver read in the nickel range, though usually only small stuff like half dimes (actually my half dimes have come in around pulltab range). I have heard of 3c silvers being found in the nickel range. But of course your piece looks to have the diameter of a nickel, so I suppose that rules out 3c silvers, half-real pieces, and so on.

Maybe it is a very well worn Shield nickel, who knows? Or maybe just a slug. (Of the metallic variety).

It's pretty intriguing, though. Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free2Dtect! said:
I really doubt what you have to say about this topic. In another topic here about an European gold coin, you stated your lack of expertise on the subject, then proceeded to devalue the finders gold coin. Your web site explains it all a coin dealer! Nuff said. ;D

Hey... wait a sec... whatcha got against coin dealers?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wirelessworldinc

wirelessworldinc

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
took it out of soaking the other morning and was rubbing on it and broke it in two. I did notice that the inside looked to be bright copper. I have a cheap detector and am still trying to figure it out. I was in a creek bed this last weekend with it and there was alot of metal in the ground and it would start acting crazy. It would light up all of the indicators and make a loud sound. I would have to turn it off and back on again and it would do it again. Maybe I need new batteries.

Upvote 0
Z

ZumbroKid

A flatened nickel 3 cent piece still retains the same mass and will read in the range i quoted.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lordmarcovan said:
Free2Dtect! said:
I really doubt what you have to say about this topic. In another topic here about an European gold coin, you stated your lack of expertise on the subject, then proceeded to devalue the finders gold coin. Your web site explains it all a coin dealer! Nuff said. ;D

Hey... wait a sec... whatcha got against coin dealers?
You know how pete is. ;) Hi pete! Good to see your still lurking.;D

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GUYS i CAN SEE A PROFILE HERE AND EITHER #'S OR THE LETTERS U.S.A...... ???

Attachments

• IFA2..jpg
    IFA2..jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, no US coins used the abbreviation "U.S.A.", that I'm aware of. Tokens? Maybe. But I don't think it's a token.

It's like staring at an inkblot. Sometimes I think I see details and sometimes I don't.

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free2Dtect! said:
Nickel 3 center reads at foil range.
It reads 21-22 on mine which is the nickel range.This reading was on an air test only though and i've never dug one so.Oh yeah your right,you don't lurk,your right up in the face usually. :o Have a good one! :)
[/quote author=Michelle link=topic=51783.msg398247#msg398247 date=1162992404]
GUYS i CAN SEE A PROFILE HERE AND EITHER #'S OR THE LETTERS U.S.A...... ???
[/quote] I don't see it but i'm blind in one eye so it could be the first few letters of "United", that is about where it would be located,provided that the image is reversed that is.It's broken in half now so it doesn't much matter.
wirelessworldinc said:
took it out of soaking the other morning and was rubbing on it and broke it in two. I did notice that the inside looked to be bright copper. I have a cheap detector and am still trying to figure it out. I was in a creek bed this last weekend with it and there was alot of metal in the ground and it would start acting crazy. It would light up all of the indicators and make a loud sound. I would have to turn it off and back on again and it would do it again. Maybe I need new batteries.
Maybe! ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread