What's new

tobacco barn foundation?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old stone foundation in the middle of the woods. I am trying to figure out what the structure could have been and an explanation of why it is built this way. There were a lot of old tobacco drying barns around these parts and I am wondering if that is what this could be. I have been in a few old tobacco barns but have never seen any with this type of foundation. The measurements are approximately 19' x 18'. The thicker part of the walls run 12' from front towards the rear.For a better description see the scanned drawing. Found broken iron pieces of farm equipment near this site. Also, in the spaces between the double walls in the front I found pieces of tin roofing.
 

Attachments

  • ruin2.webp
    ruin2.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 01-17-2010 04;41;23PM.webp
    01-17-2010 04;41;23PM.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 626
  • ruin2a.webp
    ruin2a.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 625
  • ruin2b.webp
    ruin2b.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 619
  • ruin2c.webp
    ruin2c.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 620
Re: Old foundation from?

Interesting foundation. Maybe a sugar house? :icon_scratch:

Watch out, out there. I see a ghost dog in the last pic. :D
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old foundation from?

DigginThePast said:
Interesting foundation. Maybe a sugar house? :icon_scratch:

Watch out, out there. I see a ghost dog in the last pic. :D
Not sure what a sugar house is?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old foundation from?

SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
Interesting foundation. Maybe a sugar house? :icon_scratch:

Watch out, out there. I see a ghost dog in the last pic. :D
Not sure what a sugar house is?

A sugar house is where they boil down the sap from a maple tree to make maple syrup. The newer ones I've seen are larger than those of the past.

A pic:
 

Attachments

  • sugar house.webp
    sugar house.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
Re: Old foundation from?

DigginThePast said:
SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
Interesting foundation. Maybe a sugar house? :icon_scratch:

Watch out, out there. I see a ghost dog in the last pic. :D
Not sure what a sugar house is?

A sugar house is where they boil down the sap from a maple tree to make maple syrup. The newer ones I've seen are larger than those of the past.

A pic:
Not many maples around here. Lots of Oak and pine. I know in the past centuries they would collect pitch from the pines and make turpentine. Kind of like a distillery
 
Upvote 0
has anyone seen a foundation like this?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old foundation from?

SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
Interesting foundation. Maybe a sugar house? :icon_scratch:

Watch out, out there. I see a ghost dog in the last pic. :D
Not sure what a sugar house is?

A sugar house is where they boil down the sap from a maple tree to make maple syrup. The newer ones I've seen are larger than those of the past.

A pic:
Not many maples around here. Lots of Oak and pine. I know in the past centuries they would collect pitch from the pines and make turpentine. Kind of like a distillery

Kills my theory. :D

:icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Sky, You and I are located less than 45 miles from each other, and in our surrounding counties there were upteen tobacco barns, and every one I have ever seen was basically square. All the smoke houses in these areas were basically square too, and much smaller. My thoughts are leaning more toward a family burial ground. BTW, the white dog in the background looks like mine. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • Annie.webp
    Annie.webp
    24.7 KB · Views: 429
Upvote 0
although I can't say for Certain
because I Can't see that Front center
foundation you Drew, If it was always
Ground Level
or not.

But wondering if it could
be old Iron furnace

14-maramec_iron_furnace_sm.webp
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Sky, You and I are located less than 45 miles from each other, and in our surrounding counties there were upteen tobacco barns, and every one I have ever seen was basically square. All the smoke houses in these areas were basically square too, and much smaller. My thoughts are leaning more toward a family burial ground. BTW, the white dog in the background looks like mine. Breezie

I agree, but in the two channels that run in 12 feet from the front I found pieces of tin from roofing? The measurements of the site were approximate by walking toe to heel. I am wondering if it is a very old tobacco barn and maybe there were some kind of heaters that sat over top of these channels. I would really like to know what it could have been. Your dog is cute, mine is 3 and he is my detecting buddy, he usually goes with me on my hunts. His name is Raleigh.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2437.webp
    DSCN2437.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
Sky, in this particular area of NC, we really don't have that many possibilites for buildings during that era. I feel like it is NOT a hay barn, horse barn, tobacco barn, corn crib, shed, well house, or smoke house. So this is what is left: a small homestead, an iron furnace as Jeff suggested or either a burial ground. What you find around it may be your best clues. Raleigh is a cute dog! Annie goes with me MD too. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Sky, in this particular area of NC, we really don't have that many possibilites for buildings during that era. I feel like it is NOT a hay barn, horse barn, tobacco barn, corn crib, shed, well house, or smoke house. So this is what is left: a small homestead, an iron furnace as Jeff suggested or either a burial ground. What you find around it may be your best clues. Raleigh is a cute dog! Annie goes with me MD too. Breezie

I don't think it was a furnace because there would be more larger stones around and there are none.
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Breezie said:
Sky, in this particular area of NC, we really don't have that many possibilites for buildings during that era. I feel like it is NOT a hay barn, horse barn, tobacco barn, corn crib, shed, well house, or smoke house. So this is what is left: a small homestead, an iron furnace as Jeff suggested or either a burial ground. What you find around it may be your best clues. Raleigh is a cute dog! Annie goes with me MD too. Breezie

I don't think it was a furnace because there would be more larger stones around and there are none.

There's not much left for it to be other than a home or burial ground. What have you found around the foundation? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
savant365 said:
If you scroll down to pic number five on this site it looks pretty close from what I can see in your shots.

http://www.sciway.net/sn/46.html
That could be what it is. Thanks.

I don't think it is a tobacco barn. I've been around tobacco barns all my life, and never saw one with the foundation like that . . .of course all things are possible, but not probable. The area beside the tobacco barn with the roof was used for handing leaves, wrapping, and tying. It could not have a foundation because it had to be open for the tobacco slide to go in and out. Sky, are you from NC and this area? Breezie
 
Upvote 0
I've seen a lot of tobacco drying barns too. They all seem to either have slats in the sides to open, or look like this one. This is a North Carolina drying barn. (which means, I don't think its a drying barn, but not sure what it is).
 

Attachments

  • nc tobacco drying barn.webp
    nc tobacco drying barn.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 411
  • tobacco barn.webp
    tobacco barn.webp
    2.3 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0
Might be a tad large for a springhouse - at least the ones I've seen, but here's a couple of the stone kind. (that are fairly large).

B
 

Attachments

  • stone springhouse 1.webp
    stone springhouse 1.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 325
  • stone springhouse 2.webp
    stone springhouse 2.webp
    4.6 KB · Views: 322
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
SkyPirate said:
Breezie said:
Sky, in this particular area of NC, we really don't have that many possibilites for buildings during that era. I feel like it is NOT a hay barn, horse barn, tobacco barn, corn crib, shed, well house, or smoke house. So this is what is left: a small homestead, an iron furnace as Jeff suggested or either a burial ground. What you find around it may be your best clues. Raleigh is a cute dog! Annie goes with me MD too. Breezie

I don't think it was a furnace because there would be more larger stones around and there are none.

There's not much left for it to be other than a home or burial ground. What have you found around the foundation? Breezie
Nothing but tin roof pieces. There is signs of a cart path or driveway, found iron parts from farming equipment and nails. Not much around. Gave up after not finding anything of worth. Next time I head down that way I will MD a little more.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom