What's new

tobacco barn foundation?

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old stone foundation in the middle of the woods. I am trying to figure out what the structure could have been and an explanation of why it is built this way. There were a lot of old tobacco drying barns around these parts and I am wondering if that is what this could be. I have been in a few old tobacco barns but have never seen any with this type of foundation. The measurements are approximately 19' x 18'. The thicker part of the walls run 12' from front towards the rear.For a better description see the scanned drawing. Found broken iron pieces of farm equipment near this site. Also, in the spaces between the double walls in the front I found pieces of tin roofing.
 

Attachments

  • ruin2.webp
    ruin2.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 01-17-2010 04;41;23PM.webp
    01-17-2010 04;41;23PM.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 626
  • ruin2a.webp
    ruin2a.webp
    44.5 KB · Views: 625
  • ruin2b.webp
    ruin2b.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 619
  • ruin2c.webp
    ruin2c.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 620
Breezie said:
SkyPirate said:
savant365 said:
If you scroll down to pic number five on this site it looks pretty close from what I can see in your shots.

http://www.sciway.net/sn/46.html
That could be what it is. Thanks.

I don't think it is a tobacco barn. I've been around tobacco barns all my life, and never saw one with the foundation like that . . .of course all things are possible, but not probable. The area beside the tobacco barn with the roof was used for handing leaves, wrapping, and tying. It could not have a foundation because it had to be open for the tobacco slide to go in and out. Sky, are you from NC and this area? Breezie
I have lived here in Raleigh for the past 9 years. Originally from Pittsburgh area.
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
How about a spring house? I think the key would be its proximity to a stream or spring. Is there one nearby?

None that close, a stream about 1/2 mile away.
 
Upvote 0
You said you found farm stuff - maybe it was a storage shed?

What other things have you found in the area?

B
 
Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
You said you found farm stuff - maybe it was a storage shed?

What other things have you found in the area?

B
Could be. It's just a weird looking foundation, not square but like a U shape with an inverted smaller u shape inside and thicker on the sides in the front. most foundations are just square or rectangle.
 
Upvote 0
Still thinkin' springhouse. It would explain the strange layout of the foundation. The water enters one side of foundation, circulates around product to be cooled, then exits the other side. As far as no water nearby, well, springs dry up all the time.
 
Upvote 0
Rasputin said:
Still thinkin' springhouse. It would explain the strange layout of the foundation. The water enters one side of foundation, circulates around product to be cooled, then exits the other side. As far as no water nearby, well, springs dry up all the time.

I guess that is possible, the foundation is higher up on a hill and there is a stream at the bottom but it is a few 100 yards away.
 
Upvote 0
Thinking about the "nearby spring" - back east, they used to make root cellars that were near springs (but not right next to them), because the ground stayed cooler where there were trees and a little moisture. In the New England area, they occasionally would make them sectional - with the stuff needing a little moisture would be on one side, and stuff needing less moisture would be further away from damp areas.

I wonder?

B
 

Attachments

  • root cellar.webp
    root cellar.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom