today finds

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
went hunting today with picaway.from 8 till noon the day sucked.from noon till 230 i can only say "twilight zone".and from 230 till dark the day ended the way it should always begin.found the point 2nd from the left as we were walking out of the field.was really excited when i flipped this one out of the mud.it was a little dark when i found it and picaway and i thought i may have found a clovis.a perfect one.the pics dont do it justice.dont think its clovis but would like some opinions? i think it is definitely paleo/transitional paleo.it may appear to have a ding on base,but actually it is a fossil inclusion.incredibe chipping and has a small flute on one side.the other pic is of the days tally.bottom two rows are brokes and the rest are scrapers and tools.and one hammerstone.this does not include what picaway bagged.he should be posting some pics.

DSCF0368.jpg

DSCF0369.jpg

DSCF0367.jpg

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

HOLY COW!! :o All in one day? I'm still trying to train my eyes to recognize them. I can't wait to find my first one. I look and look but don't know what the heck I'm looking at LOL :tard: Oh well, some day. Outstanding job. WTG :thumbsup: ;D

:cat:

Cierras

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
I think that those finds are amazing... my hubby and I are looking at them and are amazed/ the "clovis" we think is actually more of a Angostura... Early to Middle Archaic.... 8,800 to 7,500 BP ( before Present)... We looked it up in our book, and the fluting doesnt seem to fit a clovis, but more of the style previously mentioned... great finds though... Makes a day of our finds look weak!

P

pickaway

Yeah that was a killer day.I'm thinking that piece falls into the lanceolate catergory beautiful piece of ridge its made of.I only found 1 birdpoint ,bunch a brokes & some of the best scrapers ive ever found.I finally broke my 09 streak of no whole one found.Also found a broken stemmed lanceolate point frikn made out of FR moss agate!Thanks again Greg for meeting up & taking me to a great field. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
got some better pics of the sweet one.thx for the nice comments everyone.yea i am believing it falls in the lanceolate category.it has perfect symmetry and if you held it your hand i think most would grade a 9 or 10.it also has that transclucent blade edge when held in the light right.tried that pic but it just wont come out clear.thanks for going picaway,it was a great time.

DSCF0386.jpg

DSCF0387.jpg

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanna come by and hunt!!!

P

pickaway

point & just a few of the scrapers i found.Thanks again Greg :thumbsup:
22.jpg

221.jpg

222.jpg

223.jpg

224.jpg

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
quite a haul there, that is a fine paleo lance, congrats , nice side notched point and that first scraper looks paleo too, great day of hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread