What's new

Todays hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,221
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

My friend and I went back to the site where I found the 1583 hammered sixpence 2-3 weeks ago. We had already been back one time since then with little luck so we weren't expecting much. We started out in an area about 50-75 yards from the iron patch where the sixpence was dug, and it turned out we had placed ourselves in a mini-hotspot. I dug a large tombac after only walking about 10 ft which was a good sign. Soon afterward a large colonial buckle piece came to light. Then I got a faint but solid "70" on my F75 and from directly under a cut cotton stalk I pulled out a real nice 1679 cob. Kind of caught me by surprise. Things cooled a bit after that and I only dug a few more random flat buttons. But when I walked over to the woods to empty my bladder I got an iffy signal in the grassy area between the field and the woods. I thought it was hunters trash or some other piece of junk, but I was surprised when it turned out to be a button. But it was partially folded over and quite dirty so I just threw it in my pouch. But when I got home and did some dry brushing I was shocked to see it was an early British artillery button. I don't know much about these but I'm assuming its likely War of 1812 era. I'm sure someone can confirm that or correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the small button next to the artillery in the pic looks like it has a 2-digit number on it with the 2nd number being a "5". I may be seeing things but that's the way it appears to me. Thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • 020112e.webp
    020112e.webp
    163.8 KB · Views: 752
  • 020112a.webp
    020112a.webp
    294.5 KB · Views: 728
  • 020112b.webp
    020112b.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 715
  • 020112c.webp
    020112c.webp
    91.3 KB · Views: 738
  • 020112d.webp
    020112d.webp
    67.1 KB · Views: 717
Upvote 0
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

WOW, that cob is in great shape :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: What a sweet, sweet coin... I can't remember but I think that button dates from the 1790's-1810's, of course could be wrong


btw, can we see a picture of the obverse of the coin?
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Super day Bill, love the cob! Jeff is spot on dating that artillery button. I dug a few of them on Antiqua many years ago.
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Fantastic cob! Man ,I want one!! The button is killer also.
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

umrgolf said:
WOW, that cob is in great shape :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: What a sweet, sweet coin... I can't remember but I think that button dates from the 1790's-1810's, of course could be wrong


btw, can we see a picture of the obverse of the coin?

Here's one I took in the field before I washed it off.
 

Attachments

  • 020112f.webp
    020112f.webp
    98.3 KB · Views: 605
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Awesome hunt!! Sweet cob! :headbang: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Wow, what an assortment of finds. The silver and early artillery button are outstanding. It's just amazing the time span these fields yield.
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Killer Cob :headbang:

You have bee on fire lately :thumbsup:


Blaze
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Super find! I just found my first cob this past weekend...it's a great feeling and a great find!!
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Just saw your other post,& that was good for stage 2 colonial blood pressure hypertension.Now I'm about to stroke out. :blob7: ;D :o
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

:icon_sunny:
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Beautiful Cob Bill. That site has turned out to be quite productive. Good luck this weekend!
-Evan
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

This is just getting annoying now :laughing9: I want one :'(
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

CRUSADER said:
This is just getting annoying now :laughing9: I want one :'(

I'll trade you one for an early hammered ..... LOL!
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

FANTASTIC find! There are no doubt one or two of those somewhere down here in Louisiana. Now if I can only get my searchcoil over the right square inch of land... :wink:

Seriously, posts like this keep me digging. Great stuff.


-Buck
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Great job!
Hey that oval piece looks like that fox hunt cufflink that I found. Does it have anything on the front? (second pic, at 8 o'clock from the musket ball)
 
Re: Today's hunt yields a 1679 cob and early British artillery button

Bev said:
Great job!
Hey that oval piece looks like that fox hunt cufflink that I found. Does it have anything on the front? (second pic, at 8 o'clock from the musket ball)

Sorry Bev - its blank on the front with broken hooks on the back.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom