Todays lunch break finds

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Today's lunch break finds

I went out at lunch time today and hunted for a few minutes. Well, I thought, must have been about an hour an a half! I found a couple broken points and what I think must be a flaked Celt. Here it is. Give me some input, if not a Celt, what is it.

image-1437257720.jpg

image-2428525005.jpg

image-1264105202.jpg

Thanks for viewing .

Upvote 0
That sure looks different than what I'm used to in that material. Seems right though. Nice find!

it dose looked work,but if it is sandstone.
i don't think it would be a flaked Celt. i would say a chopper
but to tell the truth ,i do not know your area at all

natchitoches said:
it dose looked work,but if it is sandstone.
i don't think it would be a flaked Celt. i would say a chopper
but to tell the truth ,i do not know your area at all

It's green chert or green rolight ( misspelled badly) it could be a chopper. It's not abrasive at all. The sand stone or what we call sandstone at least , is golden in color with gritty black specs in it. North Carolina is really different as far as lithic. we have some pretty stuff, but other states blow us out of the water . You are in Fl. right?

I am thinking rock on the green one unless he was on mushrooms haha Ok am laughing am seeing a broke quartz knife and the rest debitage maybe one or two with some secondary edge work. Now that is what I call a nice lunch break !! Lucky you!!
HH
TnMtns

looks like you have a good place to hunt
i see that nice white piece and also that gray piece looks like a scraper to me
but the rest i would have just left lay, i wouldn't put them in a frame anyway
btw, natch is from NE texas, he has a wonderful collection of personal finds and is a very nice guy with much information to share

larson1951 said:
looks like you have a good place to hunt
i see that nice white piece and also that gray piece looks like a scraper to me
but the rest i would have just left lay, i wouldn't put them in a frame anyway
btw, natch is from NE texas, he has a wonderful collection of personal finds and is a very nice guy with much information to share

What do you think the green piece is Larson? I'm not sure of it. I do think that it was used in the form it is in. Let me know your thoughts!

Tnmountains said:
I am thinking rock on the green one unless he was on mushrooms haha Ok am laughing am seeing a broke quartz knife and the rest debitage maybe one or two with some secondary edge work. Now that is what I call a nice lunch break !! Lucky you!!
HH
TnMtns

No. Their is a time and place for every thing. That place is called college . I'm done with all of that. Thank goodness!! I think the quartz is a guilford base. The pic was a quick snap. Did not position them to show the work off all that well. They are not too great. Why I didn't post until asked to. Thanks for looking any way!!

Nice lunch break NC. The first one I believe is either a Core,Chopper or a large Humpback Scraper. Pick one lol.

rock said:
Nice lunch break NC. The first one I believe is either a Core,Chopper or a large Humpback Scraper. Pick one lol.

Paper rock scissors for what it is.

i don't know what that green piece is
i was thinking a rock at first but i don't know

larson1951 said:
i don't know what that green piece is
i was thinking a rock at first but i don't know

After seeing first hand the artifacts that are found in your area, I can understand why something like this would look like a rock. It is not nice enough to make it to an artifact show. Therefor, with out field experience around here, it would be hard to ID. Most of our tools have large flakes reduced from them, where yall's seem to be very defined. The symmetry of this one is the give away for me. Notice, if one split it down the center, both halves would be pretty close in thickness. I should have cleaned it a bit better before posting also!

Also the material is alot different and in this case thousands of years older. That's worth alot in some peoples eyes. Not just aesthetic value.

Last edited:
GatorBoy said:
Also the material is alot different and in this case thousands of years older. That's worth alot in some peoples eyes. Not just aesthetic value.

According to my studies, what you said is true for the most part. That doesn't make their stuff bogus by any means, just not as old. Our stuff is not even related to tribe names. Their stuff is still great looking !

Absolutely! I just don't compare apples directly to oranges.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back