What's new

Todays Quick Hunt

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it was only in the low 40's today with a brisk wind blowing I had decided yesterday I was hunting today on my day off. I had spent my last 3 Thursdays doing wifey things and was going hell or high water today. I spent the first 45 minutes driving around trying to find a spot to hunt and finally spotted and old spot I hadn't been to in a while. We had a decent storm roll through yesterday but it still need some rain on it. It was washed down enough to find a couple nice pieces though. I found a really nice Hafted Scraper made from Flint Ridge Flint. I also found a nice Thumbscraper made from Cater Cave Flint. I also found what I thought was going to be a old Penny. It looked big and it look like copper until I picked it up and cleaned it up and it ended up being a states quarter.

And I got a nice scare that got my heart pounding. The last two pictures are what I thought for sure was a Pipe when I first spotted it but it turned out to be a metal valve.
 

Attachments

  • 2016-12-01 15.43.39.webp
    2016-12-01 15.43.39.webp
    57.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 2016-12-01 16.10.58.webp
    2016-12-01 16.10.58.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 2016-12-01 16.11.03.webp
    2016-12-01 16.11.03.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 2016-12-01 19.20.12.webp
    2016-12-01 19.20.12.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 2016-12-01 19.20.20.webp
    2016-12-01 19.20.20.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 2016-12-01 19.20.32.webp
    2016-12-01 19.20.32.webp
    20.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 2016-12-01 19.20.58.webp
    2016-12-01 19.20.58.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2016-12-01 19.21.59.webp
    2016-12-01 19.21.59.webp
    16 KB · Views: 85
  • 2016-12-01 15.04.23.webp
    2016-12-01 15.04.23.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 2016-12-01 19.21.37.webp
    2016-12-01 19.21.37.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 2016-12-01 16.03.43.webp
    2016-12-01 16.03.43.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 2016-12-01 16.04.01.webp
    2016-12-01 16.04.01.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Upvote 0
What kind of places do you hunt or look for? Old Fields.... I usually hunt clear cuts since there's so many around
 
Your post makes me want to get out and go hunting. Its always nice to get out. It would be nice to have a little rototiller with dull blades to go over some spots:) Nice scraper.
 
I know the feeling well about the pipe. I was hunting in a river several years ago and saw a small orange in color "trade pipe" laying at the bottom. Turned out to be a rubber spark plug cover off a lawnmower.
 
Pretty good hunt by anyone's standards! Love the Carter Cave material.
 
Wow looks like you are in a great area. That larger scraper is really cool with the colors in it.

A pipe! Oh man that would have freaked me out too.
 
I know the feeling well about the pipe. I was hunting in a river several years ago and saw a small orange in color "trade pipe" laying at the bottom. Turned out to be a rubber spark plug cover off a lawnmower.

I have found several pieces of Trade Pipes in this field since there an old house site on it. We find lots of Clay Marbles, Ceramic Dolls, Utensils, etc so I thought for sure it was the Bowl off of a Trade Pipe. It needs more rain and then it will produce more I'm sure.
 
Well glad there was somebody out there with me yesterday looking (different states) in the freezing wind. So many brokes and a couple of uglies is all I found. At least you found a nice end scraper and tools. Always fun to look.
 
Too bad about the pipe but all the rest are real nice. The one in the top row far right in pic 5 looks like a tip I found a couple years ago and hoping the rest of it will turn up. Is it symmetrical?
 
Steve, I can see how that pipe-wannabe got your heart pounding.


That dry spot looked like pecked green Pipestone from a distance of about 15 feet. I literally let out an audible gasp when I first spotted it. Then a I took a couple of steps closer and I could see the bolts. lol
 
Too bad about the pipe but all the rest are real nice. The one in the top row far right in pic 5 looks like a tip I found a couple years ago and hoping the rest of it will turn up. Is it symmetrical?


That is actually a base off of an Adena. At least that is what I believe it to be.
 
I can't count how many times that a piece of junk or a hunk of discolored clay would make me jump across a creek to get to it , thinking it was something great. Great finds though, I always say any find is better than no find and the stone type is fine.!!!!!!!
 
Nice finds Steve! Don't find many hafted scrapers around here. Only a few over the years. I to have had my heart skip a beat from old parts and junk partially sticking up.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom