Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just learning to use computer.These are pics of my treasure beach find last Sept. 2004 days after hurricane. Piece of brass spike could be from 1715 ship, but what is this round, silver medallion? Appears to say: Jo-Ann L. Hall 12-30-43 -- 1-2-44. Of what century? Back side: G-1506 is pictured with spike. Need help.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,045
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,036

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bigcypresshunter, how large is that medallion? I can't tell because I don't know how long the spike is. What I'm thinking is, and I could be very very wrong, the number on the back is a tracking number and the front is the person in the box about to be buried at sea. Tacked on by the small hole. This would be a 3-day old infant; the style of writing is 1800s. It looks silver and has held up very well in the water. It looks soft enough to have been hand-engraved when the need arose. Just a guess. I thought of a necklace, but why the number on the back?

- Noodle

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
Bigcypresshunter, how large is that medallion?? I can't tell because I don't know how long the spike is.? What I'm thinking is, and I could be very very wrong, the number on the back is a tracking number and the front is the person in the box about to be buried at sea.? Tacked on by the small hole.? This would be a 3-day old infant; the style of writing is 1800s.? It looks silver and has held up very well in the water.? It looks soft enough to have been hand-engraved when the need arose.? Just a guess.? I thought of a necklace, but why the number on the back?

- Noodle

You Beat me to it NOODLE.

I was going to say "TOE TAG"

Jeff

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I bet you're right, Jeff. A toe tag! Oh, gosh. How awful... poor baby. That would be kinda like finding a headstone, wouldn't it? Only more personal. I was more comfortable with it nailed to the coffin than it tied around her toe. :(

Noodle

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Guess She was Cremated.

the Tag was In the Earn, & when they Scatterd the Ashes The Tag went too.

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Unless this was a later burial (1944), I don't think it was cremation. The first modern crematorium wasn't developed until 1870. Besides, to consume a body by fire, temps must be between 1400-2100 degrees F. Silver melts at 1760 degrees F. That tag doesn't look like it's been through a hot fire. Nice try to make me feel better, though, Jeff. In my head, I've still got her wrapped in a blanket, toe tag intact, and sliding overboard. -N :( :( dle

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Could be the same one. Birth year is right, and no further history available. An inquiry to the e-mail to see if there's any family tales floating around about Jo Ann might be profitable. Wouldn't that be a neat gift for a descendant? Yeah, my great-great-great-great aunt's ... toe tag! :o

Good clue, Steve!

- Noodle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thank you for all your help vicki,noodle, jeff, and Steve.. I found this and the spike near Vero, in a ?deep ?shell cut, near the dunes; ?like I said, after hurricane Jeanne. I should have searched more, but I was in a rush to find Corrigan's beach, where I found nothing. The spot now is under 15 feet of sand dune and sea oats. ?The item is the size of a quarter, but thinner.It could be a ?toe tag, but ?I still have questions. Did I disturb a grave- I doubt it. No one lived there in the 1800's, few during WWII. Was it a burial at sea or was it a shipwreck? We know the dates. The name is English. Or was it a cremation-- ashes just tossed in the ocean in 1944? Noodles thinks it is older. Has anyone found anything similar? ? ? ?Well hurricane Katrina is coming here to Fort Lauderdale,FL. ?I may take a drive tomorrow. ? ? Thank you all again, cypresshunter.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks, Jeff. I e-mailed Chiz to see if he recalls the thread he might have posted the info/pic on. He has too many messages to just look through! I've done some other research, but haven't found anything close.

Bigcypresshunter, you take care in that hurricane. I saw where she'd just been upgraded to h. status. If you lose power, come back later and catch up with us.

Thanks all,
NOODLE

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well, me either! ;D Wow, that's strange. Cremation doesn't melt the tag. I'm learning much more than I thought possible or necessary on this forum ::) Yep, nice charm now. Thanks, Jeff!

Noodle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Jake, the spike I found is a brass, square shank nail. Mine is missing the top half with the head. They are also made of iron. Jeff, I would like to read the post by Chiz, but I cannot get the whole message. I read: this bright and shiny disc turned out to be this..... How do I read the rest? I am computer illiterate. The eye of hurricane Katrina is just past. I will probably lose electric soon. Tree branches are breaking and lines are sparking. Will check back later. cypresshunter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice pic. Appears to be stainless steel. How can I test for silver?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The cremation society says that a cremation burns for 2 to 3 hours at 1500 to 2000 degrees F. Dental gold and silver are non-recoverable. A stainless steel hip replacement is recoverable. I found nothing yet on tags. bigcypresshunter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread