Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just learning to use computer.These are pics of my treasure beach find last Sept. 2004 days after hurricane. Piece of brass spike could be from 1715 ship, but what is this round, silver medallion? Appears to say: Jo-Ann L. Hall 12-30-43 -- 1-2-44. Of what century? Back side: G-1506 is pictured with spike. Need help.

Attachments

• MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 3,045
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,037
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Noodle said:
You're doing great, Bigcypresshunter. Keep up the search. I'm still going with the 1844 date due to the strokes of penmanship/engraving. The Indian River Colony sounds interesting. Too bad there's not a lot of written history with names of the colonists. I'm still rootin' for ya! :)
The 1850 census shows a little over 100 residents, mostly U.S. Army, in Indian River. There is listed a Michael Hall from Ireland.
CENSUS YR: 1850 STATE or TERRITORY: FL COUNTY: ST LUCIE DIVISION: 18th Division REEL NO: M432-59 PAGE NO: 222b
REFERENCE: Enumerated the 9th day of December 1850 by Geo. J. Zehnbauer
====================================================================================================================
20 HALL Michael 23 M US Army Ireland
REMARKS: This dwelling used as barracks for US Army soldiers.

Note: I dont know if it is the same person, but Corporal Hall scalped and hung the famous Indian Cheif Chekika in the 1840's on a search and destroy mission in the Everglades.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not real sure why but when I searched with the number it took me straight to religion Peter and what ever verse it was I posted...Strange.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Michelle said:
not real sure why but when I searched with the number it took me straight to religion Peter and what ever verse it was I posted...Strange.
You may be on to something. I have always believed the key to identifying this tag/token is the numbers G-1506. They may be in the Bible somewhere. Just need to find my Gideon's Bible. :)

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cypress, start here http://www.preceptaustin.org/greek_word_studies.htm I am not at all sure of it's relevance to your item but It sure would make since if this were a piece of momento or love charm...being they were very religious people. The name Hall...wonder where it originated from.... ??? ??? ??? Be back! English, Scottish, Irish, German, and Scandinavian: from Middle English hall (Old English heall), Middle High German halle, Old Norse holl all meaning ‘hall’ (

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
PimpLenin said:
Did they write the date in the dd-mm-yy format in the 1800's? Might be a stupid question but I always thought it was more of a 20th century thing.
It is NOT a stupid question. After 2 years ,this may ID the century, once and for all. Does anyone know the answer?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This could be a piece of Mourning Jewelry...and as far as being 20 th century ...could be... ???

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Michelle said:
This could be a piece of Mourning Jewelry...and as far as being 20 th century ...could be... ???
The childs name, or anything similar, does not show up on the Florida Death index for 1944. Wouldnt the State keep records of all births and deaths in 1943-44?

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what if the child wasnt born there...this is eery cause my b'day is 01-02- ???

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Steve_Maine said:
Out of curiosity, I did a quick search and found this:
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=pmein&id=I0275

The family was from Virginia. It may, or may not be related. There is an email address on the page that might be worth contacting.

-MD

There may be a connection here. As I recall months ago when I was trying to ID the tag and read some history of where you found it I noticed that many people from Ohio migrated there. The mother on the info provided by Steve_Main shows that mother was from Ohio.

Tony

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
O.K. Big C,
here are my thoughts as to century. The search should consentrate on engraving, which I believe this is. If it is a casting it takes on a different perspective. I think that makes this the 20th Century as I doubt that this technology was available 100 years earlier. I might be wrong but it is a starting point. Determine method of imprinting the medallion.
Regards,
Doc
It is NOT a casting. Even the numbers on back appear to be engraved. You would see if I could enlarge. I have tried but cannot blow up numbers as yet.
Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
diving doc said:
O.K.,
then history of engraving and its development should nail the century, don't you agree?
Regards,
Doc
Thanks for the tip. I will research this.
dg39 said:
Engraving is 100 percent early to mid 1900's. :'(
I dont understand this sentence. ???
diving doc said:
Thanks, DG

There you go and WTG DG.

Doc
How were love tokens made in the mid 1800's?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A Brief History of Engraving

By Eric Margry

Metal engraving started as a decorative technique around the 5th century B.C. It predates acid etching and was often used with techniques such as chasing and repousee. The latter methods employ a shaped metal rod hammered against the metal to make an indentation. Hand engraving utilizes a short, sharpened rod that is pushed by hand along the surface carving out a line in the metal. This results in a much sharper line than any other method.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will not get into convoluted answers. Suffice to say I have seen enough of these tags or tokens and probably had and sold at least a hundred or more over the past 30 years. Style of engraving is early 1900, Ill give you 1875 to 1900 as a gift NO more. I would have to physically examine the object to pinpoint its exact date. The back Numbers are not conducive to an earlier time frame because of style.
I think thats the key.
DG

:D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
dg39 said:
I will not get into convoluted answers. Suffice to say I have seen enough of these tags or tokens and probably had and sold at least a hundred or more over the past 30 years. Style of engraving is early 1900, Ill give you 1875 to 1900 as a gift NO more. I would have to physically examine the object to pinpoint its exact date. The back Numbers are not conducive to an earlier time frame because of style.
I think thats the key.
DG

Maybe the infant in question is not from Florida, since it does not show up in the Florida Death Index for 1944. :-\ I guess I have 49 other states to check, not to mention British colonies. ::) ::) I just cant see anyone vacationing on the Treasure Beaches in 1944, where the Navy practiced beach landings with live ammo, unless the owner lost it while in the Navy, or lost it some years later. Some day I will solve this mystery and return it to the family. I also believe the numbers are key to ID. I wish I knew how to blow them up. :(

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
I think thats the key.
DG

Also, "love token" could be "mourning token"

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Upvote 0

Rowdy

Jun 11, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6
Maybe the infant in question is not from Florida, since it does not show up in the Florida Death Index for 1944. :-\ I guess I have 49 other states to check, not to mention British colonies. ::) ::) I just cant see anyone vacationing on the Treasure Beaches in 1944, where the Navy practiced beach landings with live ammo, unless the owner lost it while in the Navy, or lost it some years later. Some day I will solve this mystery and return it to the family. I also believe the numbers are key to ID. I wish I knew how to blow them up. :(

I'm just a layman at this, but I'm gonna throw my $.02 in here.

The G-1506 on the back is very uniform. From the style of the lettering, it appears to me that it was manufactured with the tag, most likely stamped.

The inscription on the other side looks like engraving.

If I'm right, then the "G" in the number on the back probably stands for Government, as in government issue.

So my theory is, this fellow is in the service during world war two, his wife has a baby that dies, and is buried through government services. He keeps the tag as a memento, and loses it during a landing exercise. Or perhaps throws it into the sea as a way of saying goodbye?

I would contact a local veterans group, and see if thay can help you follow that line of research.

I could be totally wrong, but the lettering of the G-1506 looks modern to me!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread