MVC-006F.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,037

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Bigcypresshunter, how large is that medallion? I can't tell because I don't know how long the spike is. What I'm thinking is, and I could be very very wrong, the number on the back is a tracking number and the front is the person in the box about to be buried at sea. Tacked on by the small hole. This would be a 3-day old infant; the style of writing is 1800s. It looks silver and has held up very well in the water. It looks soft enough to have been hand-engraved when the need arose. Just a guess. I thought of a necklace, but why the number on the back?

- Noodle

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Noodle said:
Bigcypresshunter, how large is that medallion?? I can't tell because I don't know how long the spike is.? What I'm thinking is, and I could be very very wrong, the number on the back is a tracking number and the front is the person in the box about to be buried at sea.? Tacked on by the small hole.? This would be a 3-day old infant; the style of writing is 1800s.? It looks silver and has held up very well in the water.? It looks soft enough to have been hand-engraved when the need arose.? Just a guess.? I thought of a necklace, but why the number on the back?

- Noodle

You Beat me to it NOODLE.

I was going to say "TOE TAG"

Jeff

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I bet you're right, Jeff. A toe tag! Oh, gosh. How awful... poor baby. That would be kinda like finding a headstone, wouldn't it? Only more personal. I was more comfortable with it nailed to the coffin than it tied around her toe. :(

Noodle

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Guess She was Cremated.

the Tag was In the Earn, & when they Scatterd the Ashes The Tag went too.

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Unless this was a later burial (1944), I don't think it was cremation. The first modern crematorium wasn't developed until 1870. Besides, to consume a body by fire, temps must be between 1400-2100 degrees F. Silver melts at 1760 degrees F. That tag doesn't look like it's been through a hot fire. Nice try to make me feel better, though, Jeff. In my head, I've still got her wrapped in a blanket, toe tag intact, and sliding overboard. -N :( :( dle

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Could be the same one. Birth year is right, and no further history available. An inquiry to the e-mail to see if there's any family tales floating around about Jo Ann might be profitable. Wouldn't that be a neat gift for a descendant? Yeah, my great-great-great-great aunt's ... toe tag! :o

Good clue, Steve!

- Noodle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thank you for all your help vicki,noodle, jeff, and Steve.. I found this and the spike near Vero, in a ?deep ?shell cut, near the dunes; ?like I said, after hurricane Jeanne. I should have searched more, but I was in a rush to find Corrigan's beach, where I found nothing. The spot now is under 15 feet of sand dune and sea oats. ?The item is the size of a quarter, but thinner.It could be a ?toe tag, but ?I still have questions. Did I disturb a grave- I doubt it. No one lived there in the 1800's, few during WWII. Was it a burial at sea or was it a shipwreck? We know the dates. The name is English. Or was it a cremation-- ashes just tossed in the ocean in 1944? Noodles thinks it is older. Has anyone found anything similar? ? ? ?Well hurricane Katrina is coming here to Fort Lauderdale,FL. ?I may take a drive tomorrow. ? ? Thank you all again, cypresshunter.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks, Jeff. I e-mailed Chiz to see if he recalls the thread he might have posted the info/pic on. He has too many messages to just look through! I've done some other research, but haven't found anything close.

Bigcypresshunter, you take care in that hurricane. I saw where she'd just been upgraded to h. status. If you lose power, come back later and catch up with us.

Thanks all,
NOODLE

Upvote 0

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well, me either! ;D Wow, that's strange. Cremation doesn't melt the tag. I'm learning much more than I thought possible or necessary on this forum ::) Yep, nice charm now. Thanks, Jeff!

Noodle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Jake, the spike I found is a brass, square shank nail. Mine is missing the top half with the head. They are also made of iron. Jeff, I would like to read the post by Chiz, but I cannot get the whole message. I read: this bright and shiny disc turned out to be this..... How do I read the rest? I am computer illiterate. The eye of hurricane Katrina is just past. I will probably lose electric soon. Tree branches are breaking and lines are sparking. Will check back later. cypresshunter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Nice pic. Appears to be stainless steel. How can I test for silver?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The cremation society says that a cremation burns for 2 to 3 hours at 1500 to 2000 degrees F. Dental gold and silver are non-recoverable. A stainless steel hip replacement is recoverable. I found nothing yet on tags. bigcypresshunter.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread