What's new

Treasure Hunters Cookout/Fundraiser

aquanut

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,584
Golden Thread
0
Location
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
We are planning a cookout, just like the one we've been having the past 4 years in the Spring. This one however, is not only for treasure hunter's and enthusiasts but for everyone. This time it's not just for fun, this will be a fund raiser to cure Mad4wrecks (Tom Gidus') cancer. Unfortunately Tom, like a lot of treasure hunter's has no medical insurance and this will be a very expensive ordeal. I am looking to you guys to show up and support this fundraiser. Most of you know who Tom is and if you are unfortunate enough not to, I'll tell you....He's one hell of a nice guy who helps everybody that he can and deserves our support! The cookout/fundraiser will be at the Pennwood Motor Lodge in Wabasso, just like last April and will be held on Saturday, November 3rd. Whoever would like to help put this on, PM me or get hold of someone who knows my phone number/email. Most everybody out there already knows it! LOL.
You can follow the progress on the Shipwreck forum.
 
Upvote 0
Great job. Good luck.
 
I will round up as many of the West coasters as I can and let everyone know about this.
 
I came up with an idea and ran it by aquanut today. The Pennwood has quite a history. It was built by Kip Wagner (he was a contractor) of the Reale Eight fame. He built it as a place for treasure hunters to stay while diving the wrecks. Years ago they used to have treasure hunting/metal detecting competitions there. They made up one ounce gold coins with the Reale Eight logo on them and hid them around the property. A good friend of mine spent 25 years hanging out with John Durham. John won a lot of these competitions. The metal detecting companies would bring their latest, greatest detectors for everyone to try out.

I won't go into details at this point but there is good reason to believe that some of these gold coins are still left to be found and there is very likely other treasure still buried on the property waiting to be found. I would like to arrange for some sort of competition to see whose detector can detect the deepest. Also a competition to see if any of these dowsers can find anything. I propose that anything found at this event go to help Tom. I truly believe that the spirit's of the old long gone treasure hunter's would help anybody using their abilities to help someone in need.

Maybe we could get some of the metal detecting companies to get involved. Perhaps they would like to show off some of their detectors. I will be glad to help in anyway I can. I will go over before the event and bury some metal at certain specified depths. I have a nine foot post hole digger that works great for digging a small diameter, deep hole. It would interesting to be able to actually test out our own and other's detectors to see how they really perform. Maybe we can turn this into a challenge.

I am going to work with the dowser's forum to see what I can come up with as far as photo dowsing the site and maybe getting some dowser's to come. I have already gotten a new aquaintenance that has his own hybrid metal/element detector to agree to bring it to help find any possible treasure on the site. I really do think there may be multiple treasures within the property. John is going to get this OK'd with the property owners.

This is not going to be some free for all with everybody digging all over. I will bring flags that each person participating can put in the ground if they think they have located something. We can then as a group try out multiple detectors to see what they signal and then we can use my long shovel to make a small diameter deep hole that can be filled in easily and won't make much of a mess.

I am just getting started on this as I just thought of it last night. I don't want to make it into such a huge production that we won't have time to do it all, but I will fine tune the activities with everyone's input as to what would work best. I am going to post this on different threads to get as much interest as possible. This just a start. I believe that when you do things to help other's you get help in many ways and things have a way of working out.
 
email letter

Would you all be so kind as to send out this note to anyone you think would be interested...
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
My name is John Redman and I'm having a cookout like the one I throw every Spring for the Treasure Hunters. However, this is special, for one of our friends has contracted Colon Cancer and needs our help. His name is Tom Gidus (AKA Mad4wrecks) on the treasure hunting forums. Tom is a long time diver/treasure hunter on the Treasure coast and is well known among our community. So, to help out, unlike the free ones I've thrown in the past, this one will include an Auction and Raffle, along with donations and possibly a cover to raise money to aid in curing Tom's cancer. I'd like to see you there with any and all that you can bring or pass this note on to...


I'm having the cookout on Saturday, November 3rd, at :
The Pennwood Motor Lodge
9295 N. U.S. Highway 1
Sebastion, FL (actually Wabasso)
the manager's name there is Virginia and her phone # is 772-589-3855


All details can be found on the treasurenet forum here:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/314706-cookout-benefit-mad4wrecks.html


Please let me know if you plan on attending.
You can respond online or call me directly:
386-801-9242


Thanks,
John Redman
 
i have contacted rtg scoops and first texas metal detectors to see what they might be able to donate.
chuck.
 
if you have contacted anyone and asked for donations please post it and let us know their response.
chuck.
 
Does anyone personally have an in with Kellyco?
Aquanut
 
For all you guys that are going to donate items to the benefit, It would help if you both took a picture and posted a description so I can list the stuff and generate more interest.
Thanks,
Aquanut
 
Hey everybody!
At the very least we'll have BBQ ribs, Fried Chicken, Beeerrr, Cheeseburgers, Hotdogs and bunches of other foodstuffs. Island Music, maybe not live this time, but at least you'll be able to hear it...Maybe SCUBA lessons, and a Treasure Hunt.
There will be cobs, shipwreck treasures, and a whole lot more available as raffle items and auctions.
And last, but not least, all you interesting characters!
BTW, this is a family affair, so don't be afraid to bring the children unless you fear they may grow up to be PIRATES!
Aquanut
 
There are a lot of you metal detecting guys in Florida who should come to this event. You don't know what you're missing. Some of you guys that have been to past cookouts might want to tell them about it here.
Aquanut
 
Last edited:
If there are any suggestions out there that you would like to see me incorporate into this event, please let me know.
Aquanut
 
Flyer

Here's the flyer i'm going to go place around Sebastian and Vero.
 

Attachments

  • Cookout Flyer.webp
    Cookout Flyer.webp
    105.8 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Hi,Aquanut
I'm still new to this forum and have seen some posts by Mad4wreck,wish I could be there :icon_thumright:Our prayers are sent his way,I did send a card along with a check to his address,,Tom Gidus,praying upon his surgery and all the entire team and for a speedy recovery:headbang:Also God bless You and everyone who is envolved with this ,that day I have my own Charity to do ,but know our best wishes are with all of you,,HH:hello:photo-111.webp
 
Thanks Kiana7, It seems like a good day to have a benefit. I hope God is listening.
Aquanut
 
Hey Guys. There is also something you might be interested in.The place we're having this cookout used to be owned by the guy that discovered the 1715 Plate fleet.n Kip Wagner was his name and apparently he buried treasure all over this property! Wanna come help us locate it? Then come to the cookout and join the fun!
Aquanut
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom