johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that house has real potential. I hope somebody decides to fix it up. Neat finds.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Wow I love to get in places like that. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find there.

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tagging along... awesome house with some great potential!

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Very cool!!!........I can almost guarantee that there are coins underneath the keys of that piano, I once found 4 Barber dimes, 1 Barber quarter, 3 Indian Heads and a handful of Wheats (one beautiful 1912-D) underneath the keys of an old piano in an abandoned house near me......there should be a piece of wood on top of the back of the keys and when pried up all the keys come out with a tray of sorts underneath........good luck!!!

HH all!

Greg

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Not only under the piano keys, but in the piano itself! Also, check behind the mantle of the fireplace(s). You'd be amazed at what often slipped behing there!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1235CE said:
Very cool!!!........I can almost guarantee that there are coins underneath the keys of that piano, I once found 4 Barber dimes, 1 Barber quarter, 3 Indian Heads and a handful of Wheats (one beautiful 1912-D) underneath the keys of an old piano in an abandoned house near me......there should be a piece of wood on top of the back of the keys and when pried up all the keys come out with a tray of sorts underneath........good luck!!!

HH all!

Greg

Thats a nice piano, if fixed up $8,000 - $10,000 or more... :hello2: We have an old piano, I've always wonderd if any coins are in it. :icon_scratch: I've searched under and behind on the inside frame never under the keys. I hope it has at least one coin for me, that would be cool. :laughing7: Its cool you said that about what you found, spiked my intrest again. :o I wish I could take the keys off myself but I don't dare. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH!! ;D :D

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was it a school or reformatorie for women? After a five year permission mission, take your time on the rest. Keep us posted on what you find there. Good luck and thank God for metal roofs. :icon_sunny:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have permission to salvage things from inside the house, take all of the papergoods; not just the newspapers. Many books are collectable because of the printing house. If the sound board in the piano is warped, it's probably not worth restoring.
Check beneath the doorsills for coins; especially the front and back doors. During the years, the sweeping of floors could easily send coins under the sill boards. Also, in some cases, when the homes were built, a "lucky" coin would be put under the sill plate. If there is a slight crack at the edge of the board, use a thin, flexible metal blade to "sweep" beneath the board. Don't pull the board up with a hammer or wrecking bar. Don't leave any signs that you've been there; even though you have permission. If the home was heated by freestanding woodburning stoves, look for the openings in the walls where the flue pipes would go through to the main chimney or outside. There were ornate metal grate-like covers that could be put over the holes to block off the opening and still look "pretty". Those grates looked alot like trivets. Those covers are very collectible.

That facing around the fireplace looks like polished gemstone or petrified wood. Is it?

If you have a copy of Search, by Warnke you already have the best "guidance" for searching the building. Take all the time you need to thouroughly check each room; one room at a time; from top to bottom, literally.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Awesome place! Someone left it with all that in it, I would be checking every nook and cranny in it. May be a jar full of coins somewhere or other nice treasures hidden and never recovered. I once found a wooden box full of very old postcards in an abandoned house. Some of the stamps on them turned out to be pretty valuable.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Shortstack said:
If you have permission to salvage things from inside the house, take all of the papergoods; not just the newspapers. Many books are collectable because of the printing house. If the sound board in the piano is warped, it's probably not worth restoring.
Check beneath the doorsills for coins; especially the front and back doors. During the years, the sweeping of floors could easily send coins under the sill boards. Also, in some cases, when the homes were built, a "lucky" coin would be put under the sill plate. If there is a slight crack at the edge of the board, use a thin, flexible metal blade to "sweep" beneath the board. Don't pull the board up with a hammer or wrecking bar. Don't leave any signs that you've been there; even though you have permission. If the home was heated by freestanding woodburning stoves, look for the openings in the walls where the flue pipes would go through to the main chimney or outside. There were ornate metal grate-like covers that could be put over the holes to block off the opening and still look "pretty". Those grates looked alot like trivets. Those covers are very collectible.

That facing around the fireplace looks like polished gemstone or petrified wood. Is it?

If you have a copy of Search, by Warnke you already have the best "guidance" for searching the building. Take all the time you need to thouroughly check each room; one room at a time; from top to bottom, literally.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
This was my thought as well, that is a beautiful mantlepiece!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Congratulations on your getting to have a look around and detect this old house. It's sad that so many fine old homes like this fall into such disrepair over the years. The home owners, usually after many generations have come and gone and moved out and away from the area end up having to give up the old place eventually due to age or lack of resources or whatever. But boy, if the walls could talk! I'm sure your treasure house could fill volumes on the day to day life that once filled it. Just looking around at what's left you get a bit of a snapshot of other times past, mere shadows to be sure, but glimpses all the same. I dare say that besides the many and varied treasures you may see and find inside the house, you stand a good chance of finding treasures outside the house as well. The age of that house is such that it was surely occupied in weaker economic times past, when common folk didn't hold much trust with the banks of the day. Meager savings would be hoarded away against "hard times". Secreted away in tobacco cans (think Prince Albert) or coffee cans or mason jars and hidden in places that would go unoticted by anyone not looking for them.. or even from those who MIGHT be looking for that "cache". Look around the foundations (metal detecting that is), around cellar doors or old trees near the house, fence lines, or even near or in flower beds. Any clear landmarks, like a large rock or a wall or something , a cystern pump perhaps, places a person might not have too much trouble remembering. It's happened time and time again, these folks stash their hard earned, or hard saved money away and either forget where it was hidden or for whatever reason, they pass on before the secret is revealed to anyone else.
Good luck! I'm hoping you, a fellow Kentuckian, will uncover a treasure of a lifetime, be it coin, collectables, or just good memories of this incredible adventure.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread