89.3 KB · Views: 2,417
  • DSCF0708.JPG
    DSCF0708.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,415
  • DSCF0710.JPG
    DSCF0710.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 2,415
Upvote 0
a plunder hunters dream --clearly the place was left fairly intact --not cleaned out -- maybe a WW2 vet that died in the war owned it at one time -- clearly that house goes back a good ways into the age of walkers and merc dimes --wheat cents and buffalo and "silver" 35% war nickles --steel / zinc cents

with all that was left behind a stash of cash could easily be cached somewhere there.

wow what a great place, good luck with this one. the sewing machine is almost like the one i have, which was my grandmothers. wheeler n wilson bought out singer in the 1800's. with a little oil and clean up that should work

Thank you all for the advice on searching the inside, those were things I had never thought about, especially the piano (with the sexy girl ;}).

The fireplace inlay is really interesting as some of you noted. I have no idea what the material is but I can best describe it as a brownish mother of pearl. Whatever it is....just absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine how it would have shined with a nice fire roaring in the fireplace.

And books....my goodness, hundreds of them are scattered throughout the house.

I was able to spend about an hour detecting the yard immediately surrounding the house and surprisingly, it is very "clean". As I moved farther away from the home, the signals were more frequent but the digging was tough. Hopefully the rain that we received this week will create favorable conditions.

The home is owned by heirs of the original family that built it but none of them can offer much in terms of when it was built or any history tied to it. It looks to be an early 1800's structure, perhaps 1830's, 1840's. It's looks like a Neo Classical Adamesque type of home but I can't say for sure because there are some variations in the construction, particularly in the way the "main" fireplaces are incorporated. There is a cistern on one side of the home and to the rear of the home, either a well or outhouse. I can only imagine how much it would have cost to build this home back then!

More photos to follow in the near future....the cellar is calling!

Jamie

sometimes old folks would hide money in between the pages of books --- since crooks seldom read --or like books

the books themselves can be valuible depending upon the author , title and subject matter

as can some of the old LPs if still in good shape

keep a sharp eye out theres many "collectible" items from the 40's and 50's that might be laying about
check the sewing machine drawers for old buttons --look underneath any drawers in any dressers --folks often taped money to the bottom of dresser drawers -- also picture frame backs

look for loose floor boards (hidey hole spot)
also look upward "inside" the chimeny

I'm thinking the rain gutters are copper!!!! probably the flashing as well.... If you can salvage that you could buy your next detector.

I have a very similar sewing machine in my formal living room. It is in the exact position my grandmother left it same thread, fabric, needle, etc.

looks like you may have a gold mine in antiques if you can keep any.look in old books for money stashed there and any dry goods boxs such as rice beans cerals etc.also check behind mirrors and pictures good luck

wizzo86 said:
I'm thinking the rain gutters are copper!!!! probably the flashing as well.... If you can salvage that you could buy your next detector.

Oh man, so what's the plan now, rip a house that belongs to someone else apart so NOBODY will ever want to fix it up? :-[
Personally I think this is the stuff that gives treasure hunters a bad name.

This is so cool! How did you discover this site? Your persistence will hopefully pay off. I can't wait to read about what you discover. :notworthy:

That's some cool stuff there. Lov that old paper!

johnnyi said:
wizzo86 said:

Oh man, so what's the plan now, rip a house that belongs to someone else apart so NOBODY will ever want to fix it up? :-[
Personally I think this is the stuff that gives treasure hunters a bad name.

Yes I agree Johnny, The pics show alot of Great History with many of stories and hard work with every piece. I would hope that when we ask for permission to detect a site, that it will always be for Respect of Historical Significance and for preservation.

Nova Treasure

Holy Cow! This site could keep you busy for months and we're not even talking about turning on the MD. Did you check out the basement yet? Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back