What's new

Tried all metal mode with my explorer SE Pro

93vector

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2007
Messages
327
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Ok I had to try it. Went to all metal, switched my sound to ferrous. I stuck with it for an hour and a half or so at a site i have been working and doing well at....(13 silvers and probably 30 wheaties and a couple indians in 3 trips) All I got was a wheat penny and a headache! I did get some other stuff...but nothing good. I really don't know if it is for me at all. I understand the theory behind it, and I am sure targets are missed while the SE is masking unwanted targets....but I just don't know.

Any thoughts, ideas, tips??
 
1 ½ hour is nothing little can be told over such a short time period other then if you like/dislike the method.

I bet you've hit that site multiple times before?
If so, don't expect any magic, the more you hunt a site the harder good targets will be to come by. Common sense.
That goes for most historic sites, modern places like i.e. beaches do get refill every year in the tourist season.

If you get a headache, lower the volume.

Also how much disc do you use normally?

Regards,
Ëu
 
I go over a good spot using both modes. That way I can find targets the other mode misses.
 
by switching to ferrous mode and opening up the screen (nothing blacked out), I'm assuming you meant "dig all ....... including iron"? If so, yeah, you might get something more that was masked previously in disc. by iron. BUT at the cost of digging an aweful lot of iron :P So much so, that at most sites, you'd be tempted to resume discriminating out iron, or simply pick another site ::) Your best bet in sites like that might be to get a detector that is better at averaging out ("seeing through") iron, like various 2-filter machines, or an old all-metal TR machine, like the 77b. Of course, the latter will only work to shallow depths, and have no other form of disc.
 
I hunt with the SE not the SE-Pro, but I think it works the same and I'm referring to trashy sites and demos, not turf.

You are right about hearing all metal Tom, but in Furious tones the iron and deep targets give off a “low pass up” sound. All good targets will have a ringing sound, targets that pop up on the right hand side of the smartscreen. But using AM mode in Furious tones can cause one to miss good target that are deep and or close to iron. This works vise versa.

After that I stay in Furious tones but change to the stock coin and jewelry discrimination mode/pattern so I can go back back over the site “very slowly” to find the good targets that where masked by the AM mode, or targets that where deep or close to iron.

Going back over a productive site using different angles can find targets that another angle missed. This is just my observations.
 
Ant, I think you are confusing "all-metal" with "screen/tones wide-open" where you can still use your ears to reject cr*ppy and/or low tone iron sounds. The minute you can use your ears to reject low iron sounds, then that is NOT true "all-metal", since you have a way of rejecting iron, and/or other unwanted low, cr*ppy, or flitty type sounds. True "all-metal" would be like a pinpointing or VLF all-metal mode where everything sounds the same ...... and you .... DIG ALL with no way to discern highs verses lows.
 
AM on the SE stands for All Metal, and yes, we do discriminate what we do and don’t want to dig using our ears, and the machine is actually helping with that process by changing the tone variation between iron and high and low non magnetic conductors.

It's true AM because we can hear all metal sounds but we use our ears or reject bad targets. You know what I mean Tom?
 
Ant, If you are using your ears to distinguish, and elect to pass iron or low conductors, then you are, in effect, discriminating. That is not true all-metal, despite how a metal detector may title the button or control.

Try this: hit the pinpoint button on your detector, which will have no tones whatsover. THAT would be like the VLF all-metal pinpoint modes of all other machines (albeit with an annoying ratchet pinpoint on the Explorer). Now THAT'S true all-metal ::)

I have never considered ferrous mode with the screen wide-open on the Explorer to be all-metal. Yes, you hear all metals, but you are discriminating by tone.
 
You're just wasting your time making all bad targets sound better, and changing to something you are not used to. Remember going from conductive to ferrous is only a change in the sounds, not the operation of the detector. Anyone who knows how to hunt in conductive is not going to do any better in ferrous, though some people that are new seem to prefer using it in iron. Having used both, and being an explorer user for many years, I can tell you they produce the same, as they should, it's only sounds. Anyone who thinks one is better than the other probably doesn't have enough experience to recognize the detector is reacting the same way. (how masked targets react and what to dig)
 
In my opinion if a site has lots of iron trash I do best hunting in the ferrous tone mode, but if the site is laced with more aluminum I do best using conduct mode. Everyone has their own opinion. Most of the sites I hunt are mostly laced with iron.
 
I have to agree Ant. :thumbsup:

Tom, he never claimed to use TRUE all metal did he?
He said he uses all metal. We've been trough this before. :P

I believe all metal and true all metal aren't the same thing; all metal is accepting all targets, yet using disc of some sort.
True all metal is what you'd use prospecting.
 
It all depends o what I am looking for. Right now am looking for my son girlfriend ring that she lost 2 years ago. So i am hunting in all modesSo I dig everything. I want to make sure I don't miss anything. I still have a lot of area to work and I guess alot more digging. But I sure I will find it.....Matt
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom