Trip to the creek :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait'n for the pics.... TTC

OP
OP
F

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay TTC, here are the photos LOL Took them with my phone so might not be the best.
This is one part of the creek. Not as much water as I was expecting after the storms we got a couple days ago.
061.jpg

Here are the layers on the side of the creek. Not sure where to dig here. Any advise?
071.jpg

This is not a boulder, it's actually very heavy clay.
063.jpg

No color found on this trip. But I did a little exploring and found about 7 of these on the property
044.jpg

The hole is about the size of a quarter. Haven't caught any of these in a while so I may go back and pick up one or two.
Ended up being a beautiful evening. Had a great time and can't wait to do it again :)
421370_3443165765667_1466307147_33184352_744643094_n.jpg

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Forhorsmn, Have you sampled where the rock and clay layers meet?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pics! Thanks. TTC

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice place there.
Yes, check the layers on the eroded bank.
What are the holes and how can you take some home?
Grey

Chrystal

Apr 5, 2012
Pauls Valley, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crayfish, a tiny cousin to the lobster. At least i think, thats what makes holes by the ponds and creeks here in oklahoma, they are really good eating as well.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, you mean crawdads.
Used to tie an old chicken bone to a line and throw it into the creek.
Wait a bit and slowly pull in a bunch.
Yup - freshwater shrimp. Yum.
Grey

OP
OP
F

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No color found on this trip. But I did a little exploring and found about 7 of these on the property
044.jpg

The hole is about the size of a quarter. Haven't caught any of these in a while so I may go back and pick up one or two.

Actually these are tarantula burrows :) I've gotten 2 from this property in the past. Most of them will be about 2.5 to 3 inches. They could get up to 5in. when full grown.
GrayCloud and greydigger: I'll be checking that layer the next time I go. Thanks for the advise :)

oragonads

Jan 27, 2011
Actually these are tarantula burrows :) I've gotten 2 from this property in the past. Most of them will be about 2.5 to 3 inches. They could get up to 5in. when full grown.
GrayCloud and greydigger: I'll be checking that layer the next time I go. Thanks for the advise :)

Ha! I knew it was gonna be a tarantula hole. I used to catch them all the time when i was a kid an arizona. Best time to find them is right after a fresh rain. They come out and walk around. Or you can take a small stick or blade of grass and poke around a couple inches into the hole. They will come out and grab it to defend there hole or eat it (they think its a bug or something), then you can usually coax them out.

As far as crawdads. Bacon is the best bait. My dad and a couple of his buddies, back when i was a kid, got drunk and took one of the bulldozers home from work and damed up the creek in the wash back behind where we lived. Built a pond that became loaded with crawdads. We just tied a piece of Bacon to the line of a fishing rod, cast it out for about a minute, then reel em in. Usually had 3-6 of em hanging on each cast.

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now im old and lazy and just toss a trap in with some Bacon and let it sit for a while.

That's exactly what I do too.

Every year in late summer I put out 8 baskets in different creeks. What I use is the wire mesh "minnow baskets". The kind that have two funnel openings, one on each end. You can buy these at most any hardware store or store that sells fishing bait for less than $10 apiece. I cut the hole in the end of the funnel out some to make it a little bigger.

I usually bait with meal cake or cat food that I put into a piece of panty hose and tie it off. I've never thought about using bacon but I will try that in one of my baskets this year and see how well it does.

I'll wire the bait inside the baskets, then using a long piece of wire I tie one end to the basket and the other to a tree root along the creek bank. Around here if you don't anchor them a coon or snapping turtle will drag the basket off trying to get at the bait.

After I tie one end of the wire to a root I then simply drop the basket into a deep pothole in the creek. I'll leave it for about 3 days before I check it again. Those 8 baskets usually catch enough crawfish (mud bugs) that along with ½ dozen ears of corn-on-the-cob and some coleslaw makes for one good tasty meal for me, my wife and my 2 grandsons.

Eureka

Greenie
Apr 23, 2012
Greensboro NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yea the layers are Prime hardpack I would have to dig it out some. But if there is anything in it it should also have showed up around it as well from the floods that break it down. Was there much magnitite in the area?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a test pan or two from the bottom of each layer especially wherever you see a dark streak of hemitite or magnatite (black sand) Once you find a layer where the most color is then that's where you concentrate your efforts. Forget digging down into the clay, gold will be on top of it or under it next to the bedrock.

Also always sample as close to bedrock as you can whenever possible.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea the layers are Prime hardpack I would have to dig it out some. But if there is anything in it it should also have showed up around it as well from the floods that break it down. Was there much magnitite in the area?
Still haven't seen very much. Most of the heavies are really light colored. A lot of heavy clay around though.

OP
OP
F

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a test pan or two from the bottom of each layer especially wherever you see a dark streak of hemitite or magnatite (black sand) Once you find a layer where the most color is then that's where you concentrate your efforts. Forget digging down into the clay, gold will be on top of it or under it next to the bedrock.

Also always sample as close to bedrock as you can whenever possible.

GG~
I'll be doing that here in the next few days. Thanks for all the advise everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread