True and unbelievable, but true!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As is my daily routine for the most part, when family duties are not calling me at home, I visit pawn shops and thrift stores after work. About 3-4 months ago I walked in to a "Re-Store", or also known as "Habitat for Humanity", thrift store, and saw in the front a display of listings that they were selling on ebay. One of the items, I noticed, was a painting! The painting was beautiful, more modern, and it appeared to be a watercolor or lithograph. What really floored me was the fact that they had it priced at $1700-$1900 plus $360 shipping. The painting was hand signed, numbered, and beautifully matted. For weeks that thrift store was one of my targets since it's about a few miles from my house. Every time I went there, the ebay listing was still there, until a couple of weeks when the display with the listings was removed.

Yesterday I came home, but my mind was on going thrift store hunting! After doing some things around the house, I decided to go. My first stop was the GW, but as we all know, that place has its own site in which they post their scores at very, very high prices, so logically I was not able to score there. I quickly got in my car and headed to the HFHumanity. I nonchalantly and in my best depressed, and meek way (I act so that the people that work there not catch on that I'm a treasure hunter) make my way to the art area, but everything is two thumbs down! I circle the building, and after not finding anything of value, I make my way to the door. As I'm leaving, to my amazement, I see the painting that they had listed on ebay. To my disbelief, they had the painting listed for an incredible $50. I quickly paid and brought it home, apparently, I missed it when walking in, as it was not in the art area. It is a beautiful original hand signed piece by world renowned Spanish artist, Sunol Alvar! It is a huge piece, beautifully framed. This is without a doubt my best thrift store score so far. Let me know what you think! :-)

RJA 009.JPG 011.JPG 017.JPG 020.JPG

P.S. Same piece but diff edition number! https://www.artbrokerage.com/Sunol-Alvar/Concierto-De-Fluta-34712

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not know anything about art. What is the value of the painting?

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the link above with the same lithograph being sold at that online art brokerage co. Mine is edition 152/250. Thanks!

RJA

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice piece! As with anything it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Start high and see who bites.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your local Re-Store has an "Art Section"?? Wow.........
Ours has nothing but building materials........I donate to them on a regular basis.......and do some shopping on occasion..........

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful art work. You did score big time. Don't get impatient. There is someone out there who wants it. Let us know how much it goes for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions