Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hit the nail on the head.

I also always thought our Gov was "ready" and equipped to get an immediate "handle" on something like this.

Sheesh what if this was an intentional act... what if this was a more serious biological problem than this... a more rapid spread... more deadly ?

I think I am not alone when I say that the level of confidence in "readiness" is nil... and what we have all been feeling all along has been... a false sense of security.

Yes and I don’t think it matters who has been running the show.
At least this will be a wake up call (for those in charge and everyone else). People might realize they need to maintain their own “stragetic stockpile” (and not just TP).

However warranted, the sense of being prepared will be engrained into these generations.

I think A LOT of people are learning/relearning how to cook their own food.
A good chunk of the the US will probably plant their first garden this year.
Parents will actually be spending time with their kids.
There will be some good that comes out of this.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny.
Been there done that.

I have had great luck growing potato plants...not so much actual potatoes.

I didn’t know people in Florida actually had septic tanks...isn’t the whole state pretty much sitting on top of the water table?
There's a few of us out west, our properties are so old,
we're basically grandfathered in, and there's no city septic lines
we can connect to, anyways. :dontknow:

I'm sure, they'll attempt to make us all up the $10K to pay
to tie into their eventually subpar septic service, then have to pay monthly,
then back everyone elses chit up, into our toilets, tubs, & bathrooms... :-\
My drain field is better than Ft. Lauderdale septic system,
any day of the week! :laughing7:
The can't seem to stop the rotten sewage lines from busting,
& sewage from drowning all the millionaire homes, down around Las Olas.
I'd be a fool to allow them to do that to me, wouldn't I... :icon_scratch:

All the neighbors are good, too.
Husband had some time off one winter, many years back,
and one neighbor needed a new drain field, so he dug it.
Since the neighbor already had the little bobcat,
he ended up digging everyone around us a new drain field. :laughing7:

He loves his machinery... He'd do dishes,
if I could get a track-ho in the kitchen. :laughing7:

eta: yeah, we sit on top of fresh water, then further down, salt.
The Mr. used to dig pits out in the middle of the Everglades.
Got to know not to punch thru that coral barrier
He's brought home million year old fossils, from out there, too.
We hold a lot of drinking water in our wetlands, out west, as well.

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also always thought our Gov was "ready" and equipped to get an immediate "handle" on something like this.

Sheesh what if this was an intentional act... what if this was a more serious biological problem than this... a more rapid spread... more deadly ?

I think I am not alone when I say that the level of confidence in "readiness" is nil... and what we have all been feeling all along has been... a false sense of security.
No offence AARC, regardless of what the gov't does or doesn't do,
you're security & well being are on you, no one else!
Never wait for someone to protect you from idiots!

And if this was intentional, we need to be portraying,
ppl & this country falling apart, can't get it together, melting like little snowflakes?
Our Military would NEVER be broadcasting their moves.... like geraldo would...
And none of us, truly know, what they are doing, protecting, intercepting, arresting...
That stuff ain't making "headlines" nowadays...

Imho, we're learning, what we should have & should not have,
been paying attention to.
Does no one remember Aesop?
Even Joseph, could interpret the Pharaoh's dreams.
Be wise. Knowledge may be all we have.
But it also depends on, how we use it.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few of us out west, our properties are so old,
we're basically grandfathered in, and there's no city septic lines
we can connect to, anyways. :dontknow:

I'm sure, they'll attempt to make us all up the $10K to pay
to tie into their eventually subpar septic service, then have to pay monthly,
then back everyone elses chit up, into our toilets, tubs, & bathrooms... :-\
My drain field is better than Ft. Lauderdale septic system,
any day of the week! :laughing7:
The can't seem to stop the rotten sewage lines from busting,
& sewage from drowning all the millionaire homes, down around Las Olas.
I'd be a fool to allow them to do that to me, wouldn't I... :icon_scratch:

All the neighbors are good, too.
Husband had some time off one winter, many years back,
and one neighbor needed a new drain field, so he dug it.
Since the neighbor already had the little bobcat,
he ended up digging everyone around us a new drain field. :laughing7:

He loves his machinery... He'd do dishes,
if I could get a track-ho in the kitchen. :laughing7:

eta: yeah, we sit on top of fresh water, then further down, salt.
The Mr. used to dig pits out in the middle of the Everglades.
Got to know not to punch thru that coral barrier
He's brought home million year old fossils, from out there, too.
We hold a lot of drinking water in our wetlands, out west, as well.

So everyone has septic systems and a well AND the water table is shallow..how does your water taste? ; )

What man wouldn’t be doing dishes if there was a track ho in the kitchen?

Last edited:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So everyone has septic systems and a well AND the water table is shallow..how does your water taste? ; )

What man wouldn’t be doing dishes if there was a track ho in the kitchen?
Bwahahahahahaha :laughing7:

We have city treated water.
The neighbor did have a well, it's been capped off for a decade or more.
Water smells & taste like sulfur! Can't drink it, unless it's heavily treated.
Stop in the middle of the Reservation rest stop on Alligator Alley, between Naples & Ft. Laud,
when you go into the bathrooms/showers, you'll smell what I mean. :laughing7:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Many insurance policies do not cover acts of God or civil unrest.
While I doubt all underwriters have faith in God , I believe they do have faith that the government s ,local state and federal are not responsible for all citizens...

Meaning as ever , we are on our own hook for taking care of ourselves more than many assume.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bwahahahahahaha :laughing7:

We have city treated water.
The neighbor did have a well, it's been capped off for a decade or more.
Water smells & taste like sulfur! Can't drink it, unless it's heavily treated.
Stop in the middle of the Reservation rest stop on Alligator Alley, between Naples & Ft. Laud,
when you go into the bathrooms/showers, you'll smell what I mean. :laughing7:

I’ve never been east of Montana...but you paint a convincing enough picture.

For a spell, I worked with an older man that lived in Florida. He and his son hunted alligators for bounty. He made it sound like it was very miserable conditions. Heat, humidity, stench, biting insects..but they enjoyed doing it anyway.

My grandfather lived in Florida as a boy. Then in 8th grade he ran away to upstate New York to become a man. Hitch hiked his way up there.
I probably have family in Florida.

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and I don’t think it matters who has been running the show.
At least this will be a wake up call (for those in charge and everyone else). People might realize they need to maintain their own “stragetic stockpile” (and not just TP).

However warranted, the sense of being prepared will be engrained into these generations.

I think A LOT of people are learning/relearning how to cook their own food.
A good chunk of the the US will probably plant their first garden this year.
Parents will actually be spending time with their kids.
There will be some good that comes out of this.

I partially agree... some good will come from this.

However, I gotta disagree with another part of what you said... No matter how “perfectly” we act to contain this, the models are predicting that we’re going to lose at least 100,000 of our family members, friends, and neighbors. People are dying as I type this. I feel that “who has been running the show” matters more in times like this than any other time. Half measures and delay will only cause more of our family members, our friends and neighbors to die. We know that avoiding contact is a very effective way to slow this thing down to prevent our healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Slowing it down so that the peak loads on hospitals are lower and the timing comes later will save lives, by ensuring that hospitals don’t run out of PPE and equipment, and so that the sickest can get adequate treatment. Government officials who aren’t doing everything in their power to slow it down are failing us (e.g. Missouri, Florida, et al.).

There are a lot of things that I feel that we could and should (in my opinion) be doing. Our military men and women are experts in logistics. Depending on what a situation requires, they’re prepared to move qualified people and equipment (e.g. tanks, vehicles, food, doctors, engineers, etc.) to where it’s needed and they’re trained to do it quickly and efficiently. They have planes and trucks to move stuff. They could easily be put to good use moving ventilators and medical professionals to where they’re needed most. They can set up field hospitals. I’m happy to see that the USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy are being put to use, but our military could be doing much more. President Xi Jinping of China offered to help us, now that their cases are apparently fairly well tamped down. When the virus was raging in Wuhan, the Chinese government brought in ~40,000 doctors and healthcare professionals from all over China to Wuhan to help. Now that those doctors have been sent back to their homes and the US has the most cases of any country in the world, we could definitely use their experience and assistance. I would say, “Thank you for the offer. Send those doctors here as quickly as you can and if you’ve got some translators who have already been infected, please send them too.” Many of those doctors and healthcare workers would have been infected and now have resistance to the virus. They could use their experience and expertise to help alleviate the burden on our healthcare professionals, as they become overwhelmed. Instead, as I type this, FEMA is moving refrigerated trucks to New York to store the dead, because the refrigerators at morgues will not be able to hold them all. There’s much more that I could say but I’ve got to bite my tongue or I’d probably get into the realm of politics…

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to put it in perspective.

(More than 100,000 people a year die from stress, worrying about Covid19 is more likely to kill someone than the virus would.

A 100,000 deaths would be a death rate of 0.0305810397554%, less than 1/3 of 1 percent, 200,000 deaths would be less than 2/3 of 1 percent.

From the Center For Disease National Health Center

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

(More than 100,000 people a year die from stress, worrying about Covid19 is more likely to kill someone than the virus would.

A 100,000 deaths would be a death rate of 0.0305810397554%, less than 1/3 of 1 percent, 200,000 deaths would be less than 2/3 of 1 percent.

Where is Alcohol / drug abuse in this ? ? ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offence AARC, regardless of what the gov't does or doesn't do,
you're security & well being are on you, no one else!
Never wait for someone to protect you from idiots!

And if this was intentional, we need to be portraying,
ppl & this country falling apart, can't get it together, melting like little snowflakes?
Our Military would NEVER be broadcasting their moves.... like geraldo would...
And none of us, truly know, what they are doing, protecting, intercepting, arresting...
That stuff ain't making "headlines" nowadays...

Imho, we're learning, what we should have & should not have,
been paying attention to.
Does no one remember Aesop?
Even Joseph, could interpret the Pharaoh's dreams.
Be wise. Knowledge may be all we have.
But it also depends on, how we use it.

I am not saying it was... I am saying WHAT IF at SOME POINT it was...

As you know there are many out there who do not like us.

I am just thinking that you would have thought we were "better prepared" as a whole.

And as far as myself... well lets just say.. I own three types of FULL masks... All milli's :)

Last edited:

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm not sure that I follow what you're getting at... The estimation of 100,000 deaths in the US is low-end. Even if we could keep it down to 100,000 deaths, are you saying that 100,000 deaths is not that bad? Or that we should throw up our hands and let it run through the entire population like wildfire, so that our healthcare systems and healthcare providers are overwhelmed, which would cause additional needless deaths?

The current US fatality rate from COVID-19 seems to be around 2%. The US population is around 330M. If that rate holds steady, we can plan to lose 200,000 for every 10M people who get infected. We'd lose 6.6M people if all 330M Americans got infected. Now I'm not saying that's going to happen. What I'm saying is that we need to slow the spread as much as possible and we should do what we can to help our healthcare workers to prevent additional needless deaths.

TO ALL OF OUR HEALTHCARE WORKERS WHO ARE RISKING YOUR LIVES TO HELP SAVE OURS.... THANK YOU!!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure that I follow what you're getting at... The estimation of 100,000 deaths in the US is low-end. Even if we could keep it down to 100,000 deaths, are you saying that 100,000 deaths is not that bad? Or that we should throw up our hands and let it run through the entire population like wildfire, so that our healthcare systems and healthcare providers are overwhelmed, which would cause additional needless deaths?

The current US fatality rate from COVID-19 seems to be around 2%. The US population is around 330M. If that rate holds steady, we can plan to lose 200,000 for every 10M people who get infected. We'd lose 6.6M people if all 330M Americans got infected. Now I'm not saying that's going to happen. What I'm saying is that we need to slow the spread as much as possible and we should do what we can to help our healthcare workers to prevent additional needless deaths.

TO ALL OF OUR HEALTHCARE WORKERS WHO ARE RISKING YOUR LIVES TO HELP SAVE OURS.... THANK YOU!!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

I never said it's not bad, I said odds of being one of 327 million Americans to die from covid-19 is low.

As of today Total cases in USA: 163,539. Total deaths: 2,860, current odds of death if infected is 0.01748818324681%

Life is too short to sit around and worry about dying from covid.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never said it's not bad, I said odds of being one of 327 million Americans to die from covid-19 is low.

As of today Total cases in USA: 163,539. Total deaths: 2,860, current odds of death if infected is 0.01748818324681%

Life is too short to sit around and worry about dying from covid.

But it might be shorter yet if you don't.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But it might be shorter yet if you don't.

More worried about cancer or heart disease. I take the advised safety precautions but I'm not going to sit around and worry about it killing me. Not going to buy into the conspiracy theories on the net either.

Last edited:

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELL those odds don't seem so bad , unless you're the one who can't breath, then they are bad . too many people from all walks of life catching covid 19 for me.
I truly wish the best for all of you in the coming weeks.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Prepare for the worst, plan for the best. We've all heard that but how many of us really do? I'm guilty of being on cruise control like most people. We do need to be concerned, freaking out helps nothing. If you think the government will be there for you, I think you will be disappointed.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life is a gamble, I flew on B52s that had Sam missiles shot at us during Nam, worked on the road for 15 years average driving over 50,000 miles a year for 15 years, 10s of thousands of those miles were on icy, snowy roads in North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri, driven round trip from Nebraska to Florida and back over dozen times, 8-9 times nonstop from Columbia Missouri to Yellowstone NP and back on vacations. Once nonstop Denver to Tampa through 2 sunsets and close to 200,000 in air miles.

Then there all the times I did stupid crap that should have bit me in the butt and didn't. LOL

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life is a gamble, I flew on B52s that had Sam missiles shot at us during Nam, worked on the road for 15 years average driving over 50,000 miles a year for 15 years, 10s of thousands of those miles were on icy, snowy roads in North Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri, driven round trip from Nebraska to Florida and back over dozen times, 8-9 times nonstop from Columbia Missouri to Yellowstone NP and back on vacations. Once nonstop Denver to Tampa through 2 sunsets and close to 200,000 in air miles.

Then there all the times I did stupid crap that should have bit me in the butt and didn't. LOL

Well I hope it continues.

I remember the story of Steve Irwin... (Crocodile Hunter)...

Spent a life of taking extreme risks daring massive creatures that could have ended his life...

yet the least likely... least deadly of all overall... did it.

Who woulda thunk ?

Now... I can safely say I will not die on climbing Mt. Everest...

I will not die from a hang gliding accident.

I will not die parachuting for fun.

ONE... Because I don't like heights... true... but because I don't take that chance.

NOW... ask me how many nail water incidents I have notched into my belt.

Let alone a lifetime of things that I walked away from... that you wouldn't believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread