Trying to find a camera to record metal detecting trips. Any suggestions or opinions?

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I have been detecting for some three months now and I just can not express how much I like this hobby. I like to take notes of the things I find and how I find them and I recently came to a conclusion that every time when I find something great, for example, centuries old silver coin, I can never recall what ID's it had plus I do not use my phone or any kind of device that I could take pictures of my finds. Which kinda sucks, so I figured I could just buy a camera so that I can record all my metal detecting trips and then just cut out the best parts of the video and/or analyze the ID's and methods I use. Also as mapping the places I detected.

Should be quite simple to find a camera right? Well for some reason I just can't find good camera that would last for at-least 3 hours on one charge and would not cost huge amounts of money. I have found pretty good cameras that would be good enough for me priced at 15$ dollars on eBay, but their battery lasts only for an hour. So any tips? Perhaps some suggestions for a camera I should look at?

Also feel free to post if you use a camera and post your experiences and opinions, those would be great to hear!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many different cameras, from camcorders, to handheld PnS to GoPro and even video glasses. The GoPro has the most mounting options, but handheld PnS cameras that can shoot 1080p video do a good job too. Lots of brands and models that would work, so it depends more on what your budget is.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many different cameras, from camcorders, to handheld PnS to GoPro and even video glasses. The GoPro has the most mounting options, but handheld PnS cameras that can shoot 1080p video do a good job too. Lots of brands and models that would work, so it depends more on what your budget is.
Thanks for the suggestions! I tried one point and shoot camera that I have at home but it is just too big and bulky to attach on a hat or anywhere else that would not interfere with the process of metal detecting.

I searched a bit more and I found this 808 key-chain camera. Tiny camera with quite good resolution that costs just about 15$. Problem once again is the battery life. It is useless if it lasts only for 30 minutes. Anyone knows anything similar with better battery life?

Attachments

• KEY.CHAIN.CAMERA808.1.jpg
    KEY.CHAIN.CAMERA808.1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 190

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a Sony HDR CX240 Full HD Camcorder , has a great macro and records good quality and is very stable for around 200 dollars , its an excellent camera , i also have a gopro hero 3 and use sony more as quality is way better https://youtu.be/rVopTcdqL-Q

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a Sony HDR CX240 Full HD Camcorder , has a great macro and records good quality and is very stable for around 200 dollars , its an excellent camera , i also have a gopro hero 3 and use sony more as quality is way better https://youtu.be/rVopTcdqL-Q
Looks good but that is way over my budget. Thanks for the suggestion though!

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
The primary problem you encounter is resolution/bandwidth vs. battery life. To top that off, many cameras will enforce a limit on how long of a video you can record in one go, especially simpler P&S models (example, both my Kodak digital cameras enforce 25-minute maximum video length.)

As I do some research, there are some older video cameras that might suit you perfectly. Look up the Contour ROAM 1600 model; 8+ hours battery life, multiple mounting options (side-rails, headbands, tripods, etc.) and I found one that comes with what appears to be a water proof case for $75 on an eBay-like site while using Google Shopping.

OP
OP
B

Blitzriuriu

Aug 3, 2015
Latvia
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro 11DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The primary problem you encounter is resolution/bandwidth vs. battery life. To top that off, many cameras will enforce a limit on how long of a video you can record in one go, especially simpler P&S models (example, both my Kodak digital cameras enforce 25-minute maximum video length.)

As I do some research, there are some older video cameras that might suit you perfectly. Look up the Contour ROAM 1600 model; 8+ hours battery life, multiple mounting options (side-rails, headbands, tripods, etc.) and I found one that comes with what appears to be a water proof case for $75 on an eBay-like site while using Google Shopping.
That sounds like really great choice, and I can get it for some 60$ here in Europe. The battery life is perfect and the video quality is much better than I had expected. Thanks for the suggestion! :thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Thanks for the suggestions! I tried one point and shoot camera that I have at home but it is just too big and bulky to attach on a hat or anywhere else that would not interfere with the process of metal detecting.

I searched a bit more and I found this 808 key-chain camera. Tiny camera with quite good resolution that costs just about 15$. Problem once again is the battery life. It is useless if it lasts only for 30 minutes. Anyone knows anything similar with better battery life?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At $15 bucks ! just buy several and number them.

Patrick_Jr

Greenie
May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered the DBPOWER EX5000 Package came ontime, it was just what we were expecting. Was easy to set up and use..
WHAT I LIKED:
• Took fantastic video and photos. I have absolutely zero complaints about image quality.
• Included accessories were tremendously helpful, especially the extra battery.
• Menus were easy to navigate, and on-board features like image stabilization and rotation were very useful.

An Action Camera contains a 14MP Panasonic CMOS Sensor with 170° wide angle lens that enables fast and accurate motion capture, offer a wider field of view and can take in more surroundings! Hope it helps

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered the DBPOWER EX5000 Package came ontime, it was just what we were expecting. Was easy to set up and use..
WHAT I LIKED:
• Took fantastic video and photos. I have absolutely zero complaints about image quality.
• Included accessories were tremendously helpful, especially the extra battery.
• Menus were easy to navigate, and on-board features like image stabilization and rotation were very useful.

An Action Camera contains a 14MP Panasonic CMOS Sensor with 170° wide angle lens that enables fast and accurate motion capture, offer a wider field of view and can take in more surroundings! Hope it helps

Just did some research on it. I realize it's a gopro knockoff, but it appears to be very well loved by those who buy them. For the price, I could buy several and not even cry if one was destroyed by doing too much to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread