What's new

"Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
14,018
Reaction score
10,343
Golden Thread
2
Location
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
"Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

In recent years, some people have started doing rings in "Tungsten Carbide". Even wedding rings, for pete's sake! :icon_scratch: I've never found any of this material (to my knowledge). Does anyone know where they TID at? Of course, I realize there will be a range, based on the size of the ring, so let's say, comparitive TID's, to say .... a gold ring of similar size.

And another question: Is there any melt value in the metal?

thanx for any info on this subject!
 
Upvote 0
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

only one I've ever found was in the bottom of a lazy river in Disney. No detector needed.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

I actually just found one a few days ago withe the Excal II equipped w/ the 10" coil. I nulled out on me in disc mode, probably because of how deep it was, and just barely changed my threshold in pp. Kind of gave me a little "hop" No clue as to the melt value of it. Havn't had the chance to look it up.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

If there is any value let me know, have a lunch baggie full of them. Titanium also.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

No melt value at all.... Most can be bought brand new at $50 to $100 bucks... Hard to destroy, but cheap.. I have found two, and I thought they were platinum until the weight said otherwise on one, the other was marked as tungsten... Snooksion found one too the other day..
How dare those cheap people lose worthless rings!!!! LOL..
 
should read as: 100% j u n k

they do sound really g r e a t tooooo............pieces of crap
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

grave-digger-max and Silver surfer, thanx for the info!! Just wanted to make sure they didn't read down into the iron range (and would thus be disc.'d out with ANY disc. usage). Sounds like they'll come up in the conductive range no problem. And as for value, bummer. But in this case, I'm being commissioned for a lost ring posse hunt, so I just wanted to know what I'll be listening for. Thanx for the great info!
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

No problem.... I guess I should have mentioned also that on my MXT, they VDI'd in the Nickel range like most rings I have found with it.. I havent found one yet with either my Excal or PI Dual...
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

well, in the last three years i have found over 60 of these pieces of junk. Don't waste your time worrying about the TID as they are worth about as much as a flip top.

It is the price we hunters pay for the increase in the price of Gold. people now purchase junk.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

It isn't the price of gold that drives up the price of jewelry but the greedy Jewelers. They talk stupid people into buying these Tungsten rings so they can make a bigger profit off a worthless ring. But after people lose a $200 dollar ring they want it back. :laughing7:

Copper pennies are worth more I think for melt value.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

The reason so many titanium and tungsten rings are found (I have a box full) is because they cannot be resized and since they usually come in full sizes they are bought larger than the finger and are very easily lost in the water when the fingers shrink-they are also INEXPENSISVE
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

Sandman said:
It isn't the price of gold that drives up the price of jewelry but the greedy Jewelers. They talk stupid people into buying these Tungsten rings so they can make a bigger profit off a worthless ring. But after people lose a $200 dollar ring they want it back. :laughing7:

Copper pennies are worth more I think for melt value.
Copper pennies are worth 2.3 cents today. Its now illegal to melt them but before it was You could collect 200.00 a day with a sorting machine that sorts the zinks out is seconds.
The SS/tungsten rings sell at the flea market and Ebay for 20 to 40 bucks depends on there style. Some of these new go for 3 to 4 hundred bucks.People just want to replace them.
 
Re: "Tungsten Carbide", where does it TID at?

About the same as gold is where they ID. They are worthless got a bunch I would love to get $20 each for.

Jason
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom