jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least I still got my back up hobby...fishing...wait, fishing shows didn't ruin that hobby...detecting may not be over after all.

Yea I disagree Also.

If they were pulling big ticket items on a regular bases the Archies would get Jealous & complain,
but finding a Barber dime or quarter here or there isn't going to get their greed going.
and in spite of what the archies say about wanting everything from nails to other rusted items,
so they can piece the story together, they already know the story they are sticking to.
So in reality the Archies are only after the Gold, The Cannon & other items they can sell. so they may watch diggers, but I doubt their finds rarely interest them

Last edited:

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got started through a few youtubers such as Treasurefiend seeing people pull old coins out of the ground sparked my interest.. I have been bottle hunting for many years on the other hand.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got started through a few youtubers such as Treasurefiend seeing people pull old coins out of the ground sparked my interest.. I have been bottle hunting for many years on the other hand.

Yea, I actually started from this website...which lead me to NuggetNoggin...Even thou he didnt find awesome stuff all the time...he was dedicated and very passionate about what he likes..plus having his dad filming made it all the better, I did make a few youtube videos, but they never really capture the whole experiance...ive actually backed out of watching videos on Youtube, becuase there are so freakin many of them now, every once in a while i will look thru it, but i still get more thrill from reading posts on Treasurenet

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well actually they kinda did. They turned ever yahoo with a fishing pole into a expert bass fishermen. Now the lakes are more crowded then ever with guys in there 20 thousands dollar boats that creep within 5 feet of you to get into your hole. Or troll around you then troll in front of you. Just like bowhunting or hunting in general. When those show became popular everyone came shooting out of the woodwork buying up private land leases and shutting their land off. Use to be you couldn't buy camp anywhere now you have hole stores dedicated to it. We've been hunting and fishing in my family for 100 years and in 98 when them shows starting getting bigger gramps said there goes hunting, he was right.

You want a good perfect example, bowling, in the 80-90 when TV bowling got huge the lanes at the local alley went from a few leaguers to packed every night!

But I bet if the admin was to check the join stats for this site and the MD logins it would show when these shows started coming on the members shot up. It's the same as everything. Populize the item the people jump on.

Look at the kardashins and jersey shore. Now most jackass kids act and want to be a do nothing bar bimbo. Now it's vampires, now it turned into emissions, what's next? Whatever the TV says!
Have a great day sorry bout kinda jacking the thread.
They only make TV shows about something because it is already getting popular and mainstream. The shows make it even more popular but there would never have been a show if it didn't already have interest. The show doesn't create the hobby, the hobby creates the show.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They only make TV shows about something because it is already getting popular and mainstream. The shows make it even more popular but there would never have been a show if it didn't already have interest. The show doesn't create the hobby, the hobby creates the show.

Agree 100%. Well said, lookindown!

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
My wife and I do the coupon thing, we actually buy 4 papers each Sunday. Yes we save lots of money still, but we used to save a lot more. It's all in the timing of using them when the item is on sale.........EXTREME COUPONERS DESTROYED it for those of use who had small stock ups, NOT whole rooms full of crap, it is SLOWLY coming back now that the craze is done, This will happen with our hobby too.....it will pass by and there will be many many great detectors and equipment on ebay in the next few years for very little.....lol

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say .. Is if I ever start to abbreviate the world gold with the letter G .. Just shoot me :)

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I remember right, Guvner stated that he would stand for no more threads about diggers. I think he didn't like the show. Anyway not to get to much into it but my boys are making a fricken awesome living doing what they love. They have always acted this way as long as I've known them (10 years or so) nothing is planted for the show although there may be some (act excited about a bullet going on) anyway it seems that they are gaining at least a little more respect among the hobby. Although it never really bothered them much. T.O. Out!

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My bad, lol that was f------l that didn't want any discussion about diggers.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy the show but why do they have to act like 10 year olds every time they find something, drives me crazy. Lol

I feel the same but after wathing that last 2 shows, I realized, I'm getting used to the overating. I did have to stop watching a few minutes early, because or their
little games or bets, whatever, I honestly can't say, As I said, I stopped watching
right after the recap of Finds, to avoid watching them play war games or ride a bike into
a pond again like the early shows. I had hoped they were over the side bets.
but Yes , Rather then watch & complain about what I don't like,
I just don't watch those parts. ( record, Review, Fast Forward,delete)

My bad, lol that was f------l that didn't want any discussion about diggers.

no problem with discussions on "Diggers"* or any other show here.
even the one I can't stand.
However Discussions of f------l and other internet forums are out 8-)

* it is odd though, there are probably a few dozen threads on diggers,
but instead of responding to them, everyone starts their own. :laughing7:
and it usually starts with , did you hear about the new show diggers ?
:tongue3:

Ah, no, Diggers ? :o When, Where ? do they yell "what the frick baby" ?
" It's CIV ! "

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
The "potential value" on absolute garbage is what gets me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "potential value" on absolute garbage is what gets me.

:laughing7: Thing is if they show a 1917 Merc that's nearly worn out & Environmentally damaged,
and the words underneath it Potential Value $170.00 , most uninformed think someone
may actually pay that, However
You & I know that means If it was in MS-65 Condition, And never handled by human hands
some sucker millionaire will pay it at a Christies auction :tongue3:

to them "potential value" means one in mint condition

Clayton Bardwell

Aug 17, 2013
Eastern Sierra
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the show! It has reinvigorated my interest in metal detecting.

It's nice to see how much enjoyment they get from the hunt and that not every dig has to result in a valuable find. It's the adventure that makes the effort worthwhile.

I must add that it's nice to see that they don't bad-mouth and nit-pick other treasure hunters.

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just don't like the fact that they get to hunt these sites that no one else is allowed to hunt, kinda like watching these so called great deer hunters hunt these ranches where the deer are tame and the stands are baited and ready to go before they ever get there. Who couldn't do that in a set up situation. I would rather watch the diggers go to public areas and so forth and find stuff that anyone would be allowed to look for. So I really don't get to enthused about any of their finds.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't like the fact that they get to hunt these sites that no one else is allowed to hunt, kinda like watching these so called great deer hunters hunt these ranches where the deer are tame and the stands are baited and ready to go before they ever get there. Who couldn't do that in a set up situation. I would rather watch the diggers go to public areas and so forth and find stuff that anyone would be allowed to look for. So I really don't get to enthused about any of their finds.

yea Same here with 90% or better of their finds.
perhaps this is why when the hoot & hollar I think Why ?

But if someone here digs something cool at a well hammered site It's noteworthy.

I must say I really don't get excited over Bullets like they do.
Seriously, How many bullets were fired & Lost during the Civil War ?
and how many 2012 Zink pennies this Year ?
which is more rare in the ground at a protected civil war site ?
as I said earlier, If I could tie them to someone or place that is infamous, yes,
but otherwise . eh :dontknow:

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive said it before...its a show, nothing more, nothing less...even the most popular show on tv has people that don't like it...I don't like Diggers, I love it.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really? AX men and Swamp Loggers must be an anomaly then....the tree hugger crowd pretty much killed that in the 90's waaaaay before reality TV..They started out as pretty cool shows too, but soon everyone had to be fighting every week, seems like that's the trend....With the already mounting pressure to close down public lands for most everything except picture taking, I may be off base, but expect that these types of shows will end up negatively impacting our hobby. Try digging for Gold in Calif. and Oregon today...soon as that hobby took off (along with the prerequisite reality tv shows) the rules came raining down. Hope i am wrong, but the producers just can't seem to overlook big drama to sell their programs and the enviro-wackos don't seem to miss a trick when it comes to getting things curtailed..just show em where you're having fun and they will be on ya like stink on dog doo...IMHO

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the 1917 merc was a nice lil find --but no way it was worth 170 in the shape it was in ( G 4 at best )

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the 1917 merc was a nice lil find --but no way it was worth 170 in the shape it was in ( G 4 at best )

Yea I don't know if or what they actually valued it at for the show, But I'm sure if they did,
they named a price it could be worth if Mint.

I only saw the reverse fast, But it looked like if there was a Mint mark it may have been worn off.

of all last nights Finds, The CSA Plate , the Purse & The Merc were my Favorites
I would have valued the Plate at $200, the Purse, Priceless (because I would have kept that) & the Merc $2.00
even though it's only worth about $1.60 in silver

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread