What's new

Two Boxes....UPDATE...

  • Thread starter Thread starter LJ
  • Start date Start date

LJ

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
19
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting my weekly routine all over again.....picked up my Monday boxes from a branch close to home. Found a couple of coins that make you say.....#%@#!!! Oh well.....you know I still had fun.....lol.

2-Franklin's 62-D (can this one cleaned some way..check picture) & 63-D
3-64's
2-65's
3-66's
10-67's
5-68's
5-69's
2-87-D
1-87-S (is this really a keeper?....check the picture)
1-2005-P

34 Keepers
 

Attachments

  • P5070161.webp
    P5070161.webp
    41.3 KB · Views: 506
  • P5070165.webp
    P5070165.webp
    29.9 KB · Views: 500
  • P5070164.webp
    P5070164.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 475
  • P5070163.webp
    P5070163.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 498
  • P5070162.webp
    P5070162.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0
Re: Two Boxes....

Great deal, LJ!!!
No, not keepers, send them to me! LOL!

Low mintage on the 87's if you need a reason.

Congrats!!!
 
Re: Two Boxes....

i wonder how those coins got like that? that is sad that proof is like that. :(
 
Re: Two Boxes....

electrolysis works great but be careful with silver, I have found it doesn't work too well. If I have a silver coin that I know I just want to look better and wont sell it or it wont be worth much I just use baking soda and water, best way to clean it (i've only cleaned like 4).
 
Re: Two Boxes....

Ditto what Tim has said LJ. The low volumes of the 87S make it a keeper.

Very nice finds overall.
 
Re: Two Boxes....

Great finds from your regular sources, like usual! You sure seem to get a lot of different varieties of keepers (87's, proofs, 40%'s, etc.) while I seem to only be stumbling upon 40%s and the occasional 1964. This hobby truly is inspirational!
 
Re: Two Boxes....

I use liquid silver cleaner like for rings and jewelry. Then use a polishing cloth and they come out great. Here is my one and only half I found metal detecting. I used the process above and you can see how it worked. Man I love that find ;)
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_021.webp
    ScreenHunter_021.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 419
  • ScreenHunter_020.webp
    ScreenHunter_020.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 421
  • ScreenHunter_019.webp
    ScreenHunter_019.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 389
  • ScreenHunter_018.webp
    ScreenHunter_018.webp
    17 KB · Views: 413
Re: Two Boxes....

BTW, looks like you scored good.......again...............
 
Re: Two Boxes....

awhitster said:
I use liquid silver cleaner like for rings and jewelry. Then use a polishing cloth and they come out great. Here is my one and only half I found metal detecting. I used the process above and you can see how it worked. Man I love that find ;)

Care to share the brand aw ? That Franklin came out very well.
 
Re: Two Boxes....

Wow AW....that Franklin came out very nice! You obviously did a great job on it. Thanks for the info. My question is the same as Thurm.....what brand please.....

Tim/Thurm - I realize all 87's are low mintage & are keepers, but I was bummed about the 87 proof I found....it was just in such bad I don't know if those found in that condition are worth more than face value, but I will try to clean it up and see how it turns out. It sure can't hurt anything right....lol.

Thanks all.
 
Re: Two Boxes....

You know L J every time you go CRHing or bank hunting I notice
a glitch in the price of silver. 8)
 
Re: Two Boxes....

I hate to say this, but that '62 Franklin looks like it might be bogus - the scraped area reveals copper just under the surface, which is not normal for a .900 silver coin. Secondly, the '87 S you posted is so mutilated it has essentially no value over face. Sorry.
 
Re: Two Boxes....

silverfinder said:
I hate to say this, but that '62 Franklin looks like it might be bogus - the scraped area reveals copper just under the surface, which is not normal for a .900 silver coin. Secondly, the '87 S you posted is so mutilated it has essentially no value over face. Sorry.

I am going to try that process that Bongo posted on the 87-S & 62-D Franklin and see how it turns out......in the current condition of each....sure can't hurt.
 
Re: Two Boxes....

bongo1962 said:
Nice keepers. Are you familiar with electrolysis? http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm

Update - I tried Bongo's suggestion on the electrolysis on the 62-D. I did it exactly like the link he provided....using an old phone charger. I must say this was a fun experiment until my husband got involved...lol. I checked it after 5 minutes....not much result so I let it go a little longer....totaling about 20 minutes.

Now, to my husband's involvement....after I was done, he has this idea that the phone charger wasn't strong enough to clean it completely ....off to the garage he goes....comes back with a heavy duty cord from an old sander he has. He takes the clips off of my set-up...puts it on his old sander cord.

Well, his bright idea was disastrous.....it lasted all of about 2 seconds....lol. The water in the glass was bubbling bigtime....I can't describe the humming sound it made....kinda like when you hear electricity going through wires.....after 2 seconds the electricity went out in the kitchen....blew a braker. My silver spoon turned black....my clip turned black.....we laughed about it a couple hours later but I wasn't laughing right then.....ha! It scared the heck out of me.

Anyway, here are the before and after pictures.....
 

Attachments

  • P5070163.webp
    P5070163.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 316
  • P5070163.webp
    P5070163.webp
    35.7 KB · Views: 290
  • P5110146.webp
    P5110146.webp
    29.4 KB · Views: 305
Re: Two Boxes....

silverfinder said:
I hate to say this, but that '62 Franklin looks like it might be bogus - the scraped area reveals copper just under the surface, which is not normal for a .900 silver coin. Secondly, the '87 S you posted is so mutilated it has essentially no value over face. Sorry.

I think the green stuff is PVC damage. This is caused when the coins were stored in coin flips made out of plastic for long periods of time.

65GT350
 
Re: Two Boxes....

65gt350 said:
silverfinder said:
I hate to say this, but that '62 Franklin looks like it might be bogus - the scraped area reveals copper just under the surface, which is not normal for a .900 silver coin. Secondly, the '87 S you posted is so mutilated it has essentially no value over face. Sorry.

I think the green stuff is PVC damage. This is caused when the coins were stored in coin flips made out of plastic for long periods of time.

65GT350

65GT350-

Are all flips made of PVC? - I've heard of PVC damage. How long would it take to hurt silver in a flip?
 
lejeuene said:
I tried Bongo's suggestion on the electrolysis on the 62-D. I did it exactly like the link he provided....using an old phone charger. I must say this was a fun experiment until my husband got involved...lol. I checked it after 5 minutes....not much result so I let it go a little longer....totaling about 20 minutes.

Now, to my husband's involvement....after I was done, he has this idea that the phone charger wasn't strong enough to clean it completely ....off to the garage he goes....comes back with a heavy duty cord from an old sander he has. He takes the clips off of my set-up...puts it on his old sander cord.

Well, his bright idea was disastrous.....it lasted all of about 2 seconds....lol. The water is the glass was bubbling bigtime....I can't describe the humming sound it made....kinda like when you hear electricity going through wires.....after 2 seconds the electricity went out in the kitchen....blew a braker. My silver spoon turned black....my clip turned black.....we laughed about it a couple hours later but I wasn't laughing right then.....ha! It scared the heck out of me.

Anyway, here are the before and after pictures.....

Holy cow..... as an electrician that makes me cringe. Blew a braker?... you got disks or drums? Thats why its code to have GFIs in kitchens now. The humming sound was the electricty going through the electrolyte with little resistance and 60 cycles a second. if you were the conductor between those wires enough to trip a breaker you would be toast.

Was I half asleep last night or did a post get removed from this thread?
 
Re: Two Boxes....

TXTim said:
65gt350 said:
silverfinder said:
I hate to say this, but that '62 Franklin looks like it might be bogus - the scraped area reveals copper just under the surface, which is not normal for a .900 silver coin. Secondly, the '87 S you posted is so mutilated it has essentially no value over face. Sorry.

I think the green stuff is PVC damage. This is caused when the coins were stored in coin flips made out of plastic for long periods of time.

65GT350

65GT350-

Are all flips made of PVC? - I've heard of PVC damage. How long would it take to hurt silver in a flip?

I think all flips have PVC, some have more than others. As I understand it they need to be in the fiips for years.

65GT350
 
i have an uncirculaed washington dollar in a flip. should i get it out? :o
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom