What's new

Two for One: Fossil and Artifact

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Friend found this small chunk of shale with notches ground into the sides in order to create a pendant with a 290,000,000 year old fern leaf from the Rhode Island Formation. I've found fossils at campsites that didn't get there by themselves, but I thought this two for one(I collect fossils as well) was pretty cool..........

004.webp
 
Upvote 0
I really like that. I'd guess they thought that would be powerful medicine.
 
I really like that. I'd guess they thought that would be powerful medicine.

Probably something like that. I've always wondered how they interpreted such things, must have seemed like magic!
 
I've always wondered the same thing.. a lot of tools I have made of chert have fossil shell inclusions. I collect fossils as well. Nice find your friend made.
 
Thats a nice artifact there Charl. I havent found any like that.
 
Would that be considered paleontology, paleobotany, or archeology? Great find!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom