Two Lakes, Same Silver and Gold BUT Something NEW!!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I went way down to southern Michigan to look for a ring a lady lost in 6 - 7 foot of water. I used the CZ-21 for the first dive. Got a lot of trash and two pennies but didn't find the ring. So while changing tanks I asked her if by chance the shank was cut. The answer was YES. GRRRRR. So I grabbed the Tiger Shark and tried again. No luck. Just a nickle and the STRANGE guard badge. I have to do some air tests with broken shanks on both my machines. It is possible I just didn't get over it but not likely.

The badge reads: GUARD SERVICES WOLF'S SECURITY SERVICE DETECTIVE AGENCY GUARD 22 You can see where the pin is missing but the clasp is still there. It is quite heavy.

So I head to Vandercook lake in Jackson. That used to have a roller coaster go out over the lake and a huge amusement park. I seem to always find a gold or two there. I found a token in this lake that was good for 5.00 in gold if turned into the Citizens Press (Newspaper) before Aug. 1 1914 a few years back. I found a gold signet and my second gold Mason ring for the year. Also a sterling barrette and a sterling religious medal. Of course I had to find a couple more swim buckles.

Last edited:
Upvote 31

KENTUCKYWONDER

Feb 28, 2016
West Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another day of great finds! I look forward to your (most days:-) daily finds post. You haul in daily some very interesting items that many of us just wish we could find!

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any one of your posts would be impressive. How consistently you post such is just amazing :notworthy:

It would be interesting to see a photo of the trash you bring up sometime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Any one of your posts would be impressive. How consistently you post such is just amazing :notworthy:

It would be interesting to see a photo of the trash you bring up sometime.

I used to post pictures of all the trash. Lately I have just been tossing it in a bucket in the back of my Avalanche. In fact. I tossed a few interesting things in there today that I wanted to take a picture of. One is an old butter knife and a few fishing lures. I will take a picture of all of it tomorrow. At the old beach the only real trash I dig is nails and stupid washers. Thanks for the reminder.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Two Beautiful Gold Rings! I've got so now I just dump the trash at the closest trash can after loading the ski..

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the golden goodies. Your posts are like a sticky for what research and preparation might bring someone. Thank you for sharing once again.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Looks like another day of great finds! I look forward to your (most days:-) daily finds post. You haul in daily some very interesting items that many of us just wish we could find!

Thanks!

Sweet Gold,,
Any lakes you hunt that don't give up Gold?? lol
Congratulations

Two last week didn't give me a thing but new clad. Silver lake in Pinckney Recreation Area and Bishop lake in Brighton Recreation area. However both gave up lots of gold in the past. I hammered them pretty hard. Vandercook is almost 3 hours away so I don't hunt it often.

Congratulations on the golden goodies. Your posts are like a sticky for what research and preparation might bring someone. Thank you for sharing once again.

You hit the nail right on the head. Research. Then be able to go where others can't or won't. This lake has a very silty drop off. If you want to see anything after you touch bottom forget it. You can't get disorientated, nervous or spooked because you can't see a thing. Relax and know nothing is out there to get you. Also go SLOW.

You're consistent with the good finds congrats

When you have places that only you hit that you know of, it is kind of hard not to have spots that you can go back to and know you missed something. I know I can never get it all. These drop- offs are huge.

If any diver wants to try Vandercook, what foundation is left of the roller coaster is in about 7' of water in the right hand corner as you look at the lake from the park. It is loaded with rocks muck and sticks. You have to hunt in the muck between the rocks. Move the sticks and try deeper. That is where the gold and other good finds came from. In fact that is where most the gold and silver has come from in this lake. My largest ring was from here. 29 grams of 14K. The park and shallows gets pounded although silver Barbers are still found in the park. I only tried the land once, but have seen many dirt fishers there in the past.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scuba, that was a great day of dredging, congrats. I think a Security Officer played "Dirty Harry" and tossed his badge in the bay to protest a corrupt system! Sub 8-)

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I'm amazed at how yucky the gold comes out of that lake. Is it because they're alloys and the impurities corrode? Could also be lighting... Just wondering. Your finds are always amazing, and I look forward to coming in to the site and checking out your latest goodie bag!

Skippy

10K gold in ANY fresh water lake I have ever seen comes out black if it has been submerged a very long time. It is 10 parts gold and 14 parts silver. As you can see by all my silver coins, silver gets black. I don't bother cleaning it. It will be scrap one day.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Scuba, regarding your "Please leave a ring after the beep. Thank You.", it looks like they did. And they were good rings, too!

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
285839,xcitefun-congrats-4.gif

stratos

Mar 4, 2012
Southern Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really you went to Vandercook, talk about being in someone's backyard. Did you find the stone pillars that held up the rollercoaster? Haha just messing with you. I grew up there and still live by it. I take the ATP for walks in the park about weekly. Went through all the classes, just got to get the cert. Maybe we will bump into each other underwater. Oh by the way great finds.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Really you went to Vandercook, talk about being in someone's backyard. Did you find the stone pillars that held up the rollercoaster? Haha just messing with you. I grew up there and still live by it. I take the ATP for walks in the park about weekly. Went through all the classes, just got to get the cert. Maybe we will bump into each other underwater. Oh by the way great finds.

LOL, how am I supposed to know where everyone lives? I have known for years where the pillars are. I have a friend there named Jason. I lost contact a few years ago. He dives with a CZ-21 also. I have been to a few lakes in your area. I believe all the water in Michigan has my name on it somewhere!!

One of my favorite finds is from there from your local newspaper. A token worth 5.00 in gold. I was only late in finding it by 100 years!

Yes I have pulled a lot of gold and silver out of Vandercook. There will be a lot more in that corner when you can blow the muck and the sticks out of it and move the rocks around the pillars. And NO the roller coaster is NOT on the bottom!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread