Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed a trend...if I have a short hunt (usually limited by my children's attention span, or daylight) I find silver ;) I've been purposely digging nearly all high tones and less mid and low tones to compensate for the short hunts I'm managing to get, so that is probably helping too. I got a new permission a few days ago and decided to spend the last 20 minutes of daylight checking it out, it's a small hayfield, so it isn't bothering anyone if I'm out there at dusk. Got there only to ground balance on a soda can...eek...Got that straightened out and found another can, from the 70's, just under the surface. Next signal a strong mid tone, some sort of horse equipment iron ring type do dad. The last signal, in the high 70's but clean and sweet with no growl, something I am not used to hearing at all...8 inches it says. So I dig. Can barely see but for the pinpointer and... it's the end of a board...huh what is going on? I check the hole only to find two signals, a low and a rarely seen in my iron infested agricultural area 95. So sweet the sound. Like music to my ears. So, the beginner in me was trying to figure out what kind of can would possibly make my machine ring up so high, and at that moment a nice thick coin flips into the hole. Yes! A 1938 Walker, my favorite coin design, and my first big silver! It only took 15 minutes start to finish and 4 holes but I can't think of a better way to end the day! Hope there are more goodies in that hayfield for me to search out, the expectations are a bit higher than they started ;)

Attachments

• received_10210613721403296_kindlephoto-3390036.jpg
    received_10210613721403296_kindlephoto-3390036.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Upvote 32

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice! silver what a sweet sound on the pro .

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY NEW MEMBER NICE FIND .

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The At pro is a Silver / Quarter Magnet Some Gold here Not Much But I Still Love Big Silver HH Chug

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find lots more will come you will learn the very slight sound differences with your AT Thanks for sharing your find. Also you will get a little better depth if you GB with sensitivity one notch down then turn her up again when your done

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice walker. They look great coming from the ground.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with you that's one of the nicest coins. Because of that I have some Silver Eagle Dollars and the proofs will blow you away.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hopefully the 1st of many :thumbsup:

UncleTerry

Aug 29, 2016
Moscow, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra-705
Teknetics T2 classic
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That must have been great seeing that silver piece pop out at the end of the day. I have yet to find a walker, but my 14year old Nephew did earlier this month. I took him out on his first metal detecting hunt ever and a hour and a half later using the T2 classic, he pops out a 1941 half dollar.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find lots more will come you will learn the very slight sound differences with your AT Thanks for sharing your find. Also you will get a little better depth if you GB with sensitivity one notch down then turn her up again when your done

Great tip thanks didn't know that.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the walkers also beautiful coin.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Walker. Only digging the high tones is ok if you are mostly a coin/silver hunter. I dont ignore the mid/low tones, because there are some nice relics and other items out there to find also. Dont forget, Nickels will be a mid tone and I would hate to pass up a nice Shield, V, or Buffalo Nickel. Everyone is different, but I just like to dig everything, so I dont miss anything.

OP
OP
D

DeerHavenDigger

Greenie
Jul 20, 2016
Central NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT ProPointer
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett ProPointer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan to do this particular field a few times as it's very close to my home and I can walk there with no problems, it's basically an extension of my lawn in terms of distance so for a quick test hunt I decided high tones was the way to go! Plus, I've found I'm disappointed to dig iron right now, I need to set up a preservation system before I find anymore great relics that I can't clean well and take care of. I try to dig midtones that seem likely to be nickels. I feel the same way about relics, they are often better than coins, but for a girl who has only found two silver dimes I like finding it a lot and it sure does make for a great treat on a very short hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions