Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found this on the beach today in Washington state. I found the first piece with the eagle, and then 100 feet down the beach I found the next piece. Any idea what I have here?

7F1932A5-0B29-4C40-B426-6E6340F2426B.jpeg

F7CE8727-618F-4678-A09D-09736A81C090.jpeg
6D68600E-6E82-49F0-AA16-E62A6AB0E781.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 19

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding both pieces! You must have been quite happy to find the other half. I would think that the other half usually remains lost, so good for you! Count the stars to date the belt plate would seem like the best way of dating the buckle. :occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
super cool

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bucket is still waiting for one of those . Freakin cool find....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find! :occasion14:

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Coinfetcher, fabulous beyond belief!

I've never seen a T&W Union buckle before. The only one I've ever held in my hands was a Texas artillery
belt that had either been discarded or used as a tourniquet (still had scraps of leather on it). By coincidence
it had the same wear pattern as yours regarding the wear in the mating surfaces. I expect, this man was
lost at sea. It is a little confusing however that the tongue and the wreath are of different alloys, hence
the difference in color. In all likelihood they would have come from the same foundry with the same alloy.

Best wishes, I'm hoping some of the other guys will chime in with some input!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHOOP! Haven't seen a two piece buckle posted in a while. Congrats its a beaut

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is really cool! The only finds I am an expert at identifying are pull tabs, I am certain that is no pull tab so you can scratch that possibility off your list.

OP
OP
CoinFetcher

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Coinfetcher, fabulous beyond belief!

I've never seen a T&W Union buckle before. The only one I've ever held in my hands was a Texas artillery
belt that had either been discarded or used as a tourniquet (still had scraps of leather on it). By coincidence
it had the same wear pattern as yours regarding the wear in the mating surfaces. I expect, this man was
lost at sea. It is a little confusing however that the tongue and the wreath are of different alloys, hence
the difference in color. In all likelihood they would have come from the same foundry with the same alloy.

Best wishes, I'm hoping some of the other guys will chime in with some input!

Hey guys, and gals :-)

The difference in color is because they were found on a very dynamic beach environment. A freshwater lagoon was nearby, and the wreath was found closer to the freshwater part of the beach. That’s why they are colored different. If I went at it real hard with a brush, they would both look the same.

I would like to be able to know if this is a reproduction, or original. It was found in a spot that has been used for piracy commercial fishing and recreation, near a prison labor camp, and just a very pioneer-ee spot on the Puget Sound.

It looks like the stamp used had more detail than some of the other dug examples I have seen on tnet.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You basically found 2 parts of one needle in a haystack that is constantly changing. Seriously good luck to find both parts of an awesome relic!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread