mile-ender
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Jun 29, 2009
- Messages
- 472
- Reaction score
- 26
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Lower Canada
- Detector(s) used
- BountyHunter fast tracker
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:Crusader, you dig more of the pewter buttons over there than we do. Ignoring the front for a minute, is the partially buried round shank on a pewter cast button a sign of it being modern? I usually fid the old ones with the full round of the shank showing?
Earliest piece I can date is this sol billon from 1742 - silver copper comp. it was originally supposed to be the money for New France but apparently most of it ended up in the islands. I got mine on river bank - highly corroded when I got it - thought it was garbage but figured I'd clean it and see....Iron Patch said:mile-ender said:Are you familiar with Montreal? - You know the mountain? Mount-Royal? There's actually about three hills, it was on an older path on one of the hills. Considering the history of Montreal.....Iron Patch said:What type of site was it found and what else did you dig?
In other words it was random, so no help.
Have you been able to find anything early French? I'm east of you (Maritimes) and have many early to mid. 18th century Fr. sites.

mile-ender said:Earliest piece I can date is this sol billon from 1742 - silver copper comp. it was originally supposed to be the money for New France but apparently most of it ended up in the islands. I got mine on river bank - highly corroded when I got it - thought it was garbage but figured I'd clean it and see....Iron Patch said:mile-ender said:Are you familiar with Montreal? - You know the mountain? Mount-Royal? There's actually about three hills, it was on an older path on one of the hills. Considering the history of Montreal.....Iron Patch said:What type of site was it found and what else did you dig?
In other words it was random, so no help.
Have you been able to find anything early French? I'm east of you (Maritimes) and have many early to mid. 18th century Fr. sites.
As far as "sites" go, as far as I know any known site is historic and so off limits....Hopefully my research will turn up some of those lost forts![]()

mile-ender said:Earliest piece I can date is this sol billon from 1742 - silver copper comp. it was originally supposed to be the money for New France but apparently most of it ended up in the islands. I got mine on river bank - highly corroded when I got it - thought it was garbage but figured I'd clean it and see....Iron Patch said:mile-ender said:Are you familiar with Montreal? - You know the mountain? Mount-Royal? There's actually about three hills, it was on an older path on one of the hills. Considering the history of Montreal.....Iron Patch said:What type of site was it found and what else did you dig?
In other words it was random, so no help.
Have you been able to find anything early French? I'm east of you (Maritimes) and have many early to mid. 18th century Fr. sites.
As far as "sites" go, as far as I know any known site is historic and so off limits....Hopefully my research will turn up some of those lost forts![]()
johnnyi said:Good id you guys! Here is a link which shows the same kind modern manufaturing; cast, plated, with the shank cast deeper into the mold than an early button. I gues it's the easiest way to make a fake. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,265225.0.html


mile-ender said:Well...I'm gonna check this as solved - but I'm not necessarily convinced - no offence
If you check out this link - http://books.google.ca/books?id=-rH...lt&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=button shanks&f=false - check the shank images on page 52 then read page 64 for the explanation.
I'm just a stickler for proof. So if anything else comes up in the future on this one or my Louis the XIIII - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3206261301/ - and the front - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3207104198/ - I'll let you all know.
The sol has stars - the 104th was found Eastern shore of Montreal - I like to think it was when they made there way up to Kingston. And as far as buttons go... I think I'm gonna invest in a s**t load of reference books, 'cuz from the buttons I dig and see on this site, I'm thinking it would be worth the investmentIron Patch said:mile-ender said:Well...I'm gonna check this as solved - but I'm not necessarily convinced - no offence
If you check out this link - http://books.google.ca/books?id=-rH...lt&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=button shanks&f=false - check the shank images on page 52 then read page 64 for the explanation.
I'm just a stickler for proof. So if anything else comes up in the future on this one or my Louis the XIIII - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3206261301/ - and the front - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3207104198/ - I'll let you all know.
There's one point you may be missing.
You probably agree it is a coat of arms, which means most likely it was a general service button, and general service buttons were always used in great numbers. Having been used in great numbers, they turn up as finds, and are very well documented. Can you now see the conflicting aspects of your find? Eventhough I can't tell you what it is, I can tell you what it's not as far as being Colonial period is concerned. I'm glad you found it though, made for a good thread.
Your 1742 H 2 Sol was very widely counterfeited. (why I asked about the stars)
Seen on your link the 104th... Great find with Incredible history! Was this dug in Montreal? Were they there? I have both a Silver officer cuff size, and a bit larger pewter. I consider myself very lucky to have found both here.
The Roman type button shank looks modern as does the face, I have seen similar buttons.

mile-ender said:The sol has stars - the 104th was found Eastern shore of Montreal - I like to think it was when they made there way up to Kingston. And as far as buttons go... I think I'm gonna invest in a s**t load of reference books, 'cuz from the buttons I dig and see on this site, I'm thinking it would be worth the investmentIron Patch said:mile-ender said:Well...I'm gonna check this as solved - but I'm not necessarily convinced - no offence
If you check out this link - http://books.google.ca/books?id=-rH...lt&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=button shanks&f=false - check the shank images on page 52 then read page 64 for the explanation.
I'm just a stickler for proof. So if anything else comes up in the future on this one or my Louis the XIIII - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3206261301/ - and the front - http://www.flickr.com/photos/71319526@N00/3207104198/ - I'll let you all know.
There's one point you may be missing.
You probably agree it is a coat of arms, which means most likely it was a general service button, and general service buttons were always used in great numbers. Having been used in great numbers, they turn up as finds, and are very well documented. Can you now see the conflicting aspects of your find? Eventhough I can't tell you what it is, I can tell you what it's not as far as being Colonial period is concerned. I'm glad you found it though, made for a good thread.
Your 1742 H 2 Sol was very widely counterfeited. (why I asked about the stars)
Seen on your link the 104th... Great find with Incredible history! Was this dug in Montreal? Were they there? I have both a Silver officer cuff size, and a bit larger pewter. I consider myself very lucky to have found both here.
The Roman type button shank looks modern as does the face, I have seen similar buttons.![]()