mile-ender
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Jun 29, 2009
- Messages
- 472
- Reaction score
- 26
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Lower Canada
- Detector(s) used
- BountyHunter fast tracker
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Mine's not gilded copper, I believe it's pewter. But that's why I'm asking. As for the pick you posted - I can't see the back so I really couldn't say if it's that one. As for the two piece molded seam - I don't know enough about button manufacturing to say yet. Could you show me another example of the same mold seam?bigcypresshunter said:Is this it? I see a 2 piece mold seam.
I realize yours is a one piece pewter or pot metal button. What I posted is NOT your exact button. Im asking if this could be the same design because yours is corroded and I cant see it well. Sorry for not explaining. I am not up on British buttons.mile-ender said:Mine's not gilded copper, I believe it's pewter. But that's why I'm asking. As for the pick you posted - I can't see the back so I really couldn't say if it's that one. As for the two piece molded seam - I don't know enough about button manufacturing to say yet. Could you show me another example of the same mold seam?bigcypresshunter said:Is this it? I see a 2 piece mold seam.
Ahhh, I understand, yes it's the same design.bigcypresshunter said:I realize yours is a one piece pewter or pot metal button. What I posted is NOT your exact button. Im asking if this could be the same design because yours is corroded and I cant see it well. Sorry for not explaining. I am not up on British buttons.mile-ender said:Mine's not gilded copper, I believe it's pewter. But that's why I'm asking. As for the pick you posted - I can't see the back so I really couldn't say if it's that one. As for the two piece molded seam - I don't know enough about button manufacturing to say yet. Could you show me another example of the same mold seam?bigcypresshunter said:Is this it? I see a 2 piece mold seam.
I dont have another example, but it appears to be a mold mark from a two part mold.
Yes I think it may be an indicator of age but I am not an expert so I will wait for other opinions.mile-ender said:Is the molding any indicator of age?

Thanks. Checked it out. Great reference site, but no luck with finding anything similar to mine. The coat of arms has been in use since 1603, so I'm thinking it comes down to design (of the coat of arms( I notice small differences)), and the manufacturing process of the button. My avatar is a similar button in the sense that I've had various proffesionals look at it and not be able to give me any definitive answer.hammered said:Hi mile-ender,
In one of the fields that I get to detect, military and livery buttons pop up all the time, and your button has similarities to the " General Issue" button. The "General Issue" was used for quite a long time so have a look at this link. http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/sh...rpage=40&sort=1&stype=&limit=&cat=217&ppuser= it may be on here, but my pc is having a pc hissy fit at the mo' and when I log on to that site the cow crashes. Time for a new pc. I hope this helps.
hammered
bigcypresshunter said:Is this it? I see a 2 piece mold seam.
Are you familiar with Montreal? - You know the mountain? Mount-Royal? There's actually about three hills, it was on an older path on one of the hills. Considering the history of Montreal.....Iron Patch said:What type of site was it found and what else did you dig?
mile-ender said:Are you familiar with Montreal? - You know the mountain? Mount-Royal? There's actually about three hills, it was on an older path on one of the hills. Considering the history of Montreal.....Iron Patch said:What type of site was it found and what else did you dig?
Here's some more pics. It's tough to give you guys something to work with - even with a magnifying glass I have trouble making out the detail..CRUSADER said:http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/militarynamedregiments.htm
Also its not on this site which posts hundreds of detectorist finds in the Colchester area.
Its not on any site I have seen, never seen anyone else find one.
Only seen 1 on this site previously & from memory it was from the US.
So my hunch is fantasy button, repro blazer type.
mile-ender said:Here's some more pics. It's tough to give you guys something to work with - even with a magnifying glass I have trouble making out the detail..CRUSADER said:http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/militarynamedregiments.htm
Also its not on this site which posts hundreds of detectorist finds in the Colchester area.
Its not on any site I have seen, never seen anyone else find one.
Only seen 1 on this site previously & from memory it was from the US.
So my hunch is fantasy button, repro blazer type.
And just a thought - if it is a repro - wouldn't it be easier to find something on the net?