Un wanted detector

Lynne G. Peck

Dec 14, 2013
Vero Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrtee AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Member; Have only started to metal detecting. Went to a retailer and was talked into a detector that I did not want!!! I am 80 years young and will admit that I have had some sucsess with the detector I purchased. More than 300 coins (Clad) so far but the unit is to damn heavy. Would appreciate any comments on the Garrett AT-Pro. I believe this is the unit I would like to have. I am basically a dirt fisher at this time although I live just 9 miles from the Treasure Coast of Florida so beach hunting is a real factor in the purchase of the Garrett AT Pro. Thanks for any help. LYNNE

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I had an AT GOLD. Same story as yours, went to the detector store to buy a Tesoro and got the AT Gold instead. Got rid of it real fast. It is rather heavy. I got a Tesoro Cibola and can swing it with 2 fingers for hours. My Cibola is great in salt water, just can't put the box under water.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First and foremost, welcome to Treasurenet Lynne. I don't own an AT Pro but I almost bought one a while back. They are very lightweight, weighing only 3 pounds. The are waterproof so you should be good to go at the beach. I'm sure someone that owns one will chime in sooner or later. So what did they talk you into buying that you don't want?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lynne, welcome!! I really like my AT Pro, it is great in the dirt or dry sand. But, it is still a single frequency VLF and therefore not a great machine in the wet salt sand or in the saltwater. It is also fantastic with the 5x8" coil which makes it even lighter. I think if you contact some of the vendors here on TNet like Bart you may be able to get a great deal on one with the 5x8" coil. Good luck!!

JUNKER

Apr 7, 2012
SW FL,Copper Hill VA,Temple ME
Detector(s) used
XLT GrandmastercxIII Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Lynne don't have a atpro but Bart seems to give people that's on this forum a good deal if you tell him your on this forum HH
Hope you get what you want.

Hyper220

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Hollidaysburg,PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I bought my at pro this past spring. have bad shoulder and after swinging awhile it hurt. watched a couple of vids on youtube on a strap called detecting buddy. price if I remember was around twentyfive dollars. I live in Pennsylvania and mostly dig in the dirt , also travel to beaches on East coast The at pro works great. And the strap I will always carry with me because it works. If I can help let me know.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New Member; Have only started to metal detecting. Went to a retailer and was talked into a detector that I did not want!!! I am 80 years young and will admit that I have had some sucsess with the detector I purchased. More than 300 coins (Clad) so far but the unit is to damn heavy. Would appreciate any comments on the Garrett AT-Pro. I believe this is the unit I would like to have. I am basically a dirt fisher at this time although I live just 9 miles from the Treasure Coast of Florida so beach hunting is a real factor in the purchase of the Garrett AT Pro. Thanks for any help. LYNNE

I have a little experience with the AT Pro. I used my buddy's AT for a couple of weeks while I was in between detectors. I know the AT Pro on paper is not a heavy detector but to me it felt heavy because it is not very well balanced. Another negative on the Pro for your situation is that it will not work well in salt water so your trips to the beach may not be the best. I don't know what kind of detector you were talked into but would be interested to find out. There are detectors out there that will be great on land and will still work on the beach.

OP
OP
L

Lynne G. Peck

Dec 14, 2013
Vero Beach Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrtee AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro

I have a little experience with the AT Pro. I used my buddy's AT for a couple of weeks while I was in between detectors. I know the AT Pro on paper is not a heavy detector but to me it felt heavy because it is not very well balanced. Another negative on the Pro for your situation is that it will not work well in salt water so your trips to the beach may not be the best. I don't know what kind of detector you were talked into but would be interested to find out. There are detectors out there that will be great on land and will still work on the beach.

Good Morning; I have a White MXT that comes in at about 6 pounds and when the coil hits salt water it goes crazy. Unable to balance it at all near salt water. It works fine in dry sand. Being 80 years old I hate to admit that I don't have the strength I had 10 years ago. ( damned upsetting too)!!! I have no trouble going down to dig any target so that is a plus. I don't think I will be using a detector on the wet sand and of course not in the water. Here in Florida on the Treasure Coast anything that you find in the water belongs to the state. (salt water) There are bunches of old homesteads around here. I just got permission to hunt one of them that has never been worked before. Be out there this afternoon. Big property so it will take some time to cover it all. I work very slow anyway. Thanks for the "heads up". Maybe we can talk again sometime. Lynne

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, the AT Pro will work well on those old homesteads, and you can hear good targets between the chatter if you have some black sand on your beach. In the panhandle of FL, the sand is mild and the AT Pro performs fine there. You can get a PI for the beach, but you will lose the discrimination capabilities.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread