UNBELIEVABLE FINDS OF A LIFETIME! 1728 SPANISH SILVER & 1722 FRENCH COPPER!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out today down in good old Philadelphia with George. Started out at a 1700s riverfront home hes hit before, I didn't do to hot there but George made a couple of good finds there, I managed a flat button of sorts and the oil lamp part with the wick still attached , I cant quite make out the patent date. 20150623_202453.jpg After that we tried door knocking and let me tell you how very very old and beautiful these homes were. Tried to get permission at 2 different places before George decided to take me to the site of his 8 reale from a few weeks ago. George wanted me to try his CTX3030 all day and see what I thought, I gotta say im impressed with it, its pretty fast compared to my etrac, similar operations/tones/VDI's, etc though. So we get geared up and went down by the pond, within 10 minutes I got a LOUD AND CLEAR 10-41-ish tone, it was 10 40 something, still a blur, I kinda lost focus for a bit when I popped the plug and saw that familiar glimmer of silver, and upon closer inspection I see SPANISH!!!, I carry it over to George, shaking, near puking, lightheaded etc etc etc, and wiped the dirt off it in front of him to reveal the most beautiful coin I have ever dug, the oldest coin I have ever dug, Three hard fought years of wishing/hoping/dreaming brought me to this point, :headbang: 1728 SPANISH SILVER! :headbang: I cant believe it still!! big reale.jpg Untitledsdf.png Untitled.png George was nice enough to get in touch with Bill D and he identified it as a Spanish pistareen. I was so pumped to get this, George gave me a hard time a bit because of HIS machine on HIS site but it was all in good fun lol! I cant believe it was only 5 inches down, I could've easily got that with my etrac!, ok anyway after that I had a hard time focusing, I was haphazardly detecting around until I sat, focused, and slowed down, managed a few more decent finds such as the 1889 IH, and a Silver Roosie, and a fired musketball. we had to leave shortly after that but I was in the mood for a little more so I headed to the school from 2 weeks ago and very first signal was this Mystery copper, 20150623_204940.jpg 20150623_174556.jpg 20150623_202610.jpg I think I see FRAN___ something on the 2nd line of the one side of it. 20150623_202610.jpg its slightly larger than a US quarter, I got 6 wheats after that and left because the sky opened up on me. 20150623_202403.jpg 20150623_204924.jpg I don't know if I can ever top this day, likely not and im OK with that, today was by far the greatest detecting day I have ever had, thank you George!!! super awesome of you to share such a killer site with me, hope I can repay you someday

thanks for looking and hh!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 65
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely appreciated here on T'Net; that's for sure.

Plus, when I see a find like yours I get inspired. If it happened to you than that means it can happen to me or anyone else.

I just hit my one year anniversary in this hobby last Saturday. One year ago I had no clue that I would have a nice jewelry collection going on and have coins in my collection that are over 200 years old, all by just being persistent in going out and digging them up.

So I can definitely imagine what you must be feeling on this one. It's an incredible find. Bask in the glory of it for a while.

But remember, it won't be long at all before you're out looking for the next big find. That's the nature of this crazy addiction.
Thanks a lot, it is a great feeling, kinda like I stepped up to "big boy" detecting lol and as far as keeping at it, absolutely, persistence pays off!, I get a ton of no's when it comes to permission, ya just gotta be willing to keep at it, and of course have good hunting partners that share killer sites with ya!, how in the heck will I ever repay that favor?

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Rick I just looked into that coin.
You are so right!! Thats is Rare.
Maybe only a hand full of them left over here..
That is so a BANNER FIND!!!!
My vote is going in..
You Dog Chris!!!

thanks George! I really like that coin now. Heres a tiny tidbit of education on it if anyones interested in a short read:

France, Louis XV, 9 deniers, 1721-22
By Library and Archives Canada | Monday, 29 March 2004

There was a chronic shortage of currency in New France throughout the French Regime; coins brought out from the mother country returned almost immediately to France. Governor after governor pleaded with the French king to provide distinctive coins that would remain in the colony because they would be unacceptable in France. Finally in 1670 a supply of silver coins was provided, but no copper coins were shipped to meet the need for small change. Consideration was given to copper coins at this time and dies were prepared for a 2-denier piece. (The word "denier'' derives from "denarius" a small Roman coin which is referred to in the Bible as a penny.'') Although a few specimens were struck, there is no evidence that any ever reached Canada. In 1717 (47 years later) a further effort was made to produce copper coins for New France and other overseas French possessions, but again nothing came of it. Finally in 1721 a considerable quantity of 9-deniers pieces in copper were struck and shipped to Quebec and a further supply arrived in 1722.

For some reason they proved to be unpopular with the inhabitants of New France and several years later the bulk of them still lay in a warehouse—perhaps the early settlers had grown accustomed to doing without small change. In any event no further shipments of copper coins were made to New France

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW... a half pistareen... and its whole! I found my first cut pistareen a few week ago and was lucky enough to get the slice with the date 1722. I had no clue what I was holding and also fired off a field email to Bill! It was unreal to find silver that old... awesome feeling digging that up.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW... a half pistareen... and its whole! I found my first cut pistareen a few week ago and was lucky enough to get the slice with the date 1722. I had no clue what I was holding and also fired off a field email to Bill! It was unreal to find silver that old... awesome feeling digging that up.
thank you!, what made it cooler is how fast it happened, it literally was the 1st target I dug at that site, totally unexpected, blew my mind, I'm so pumped to have it too!

Woo-hoo! Congrats! :occasion16::wav::occasion16: Andi
lol, thanks!!!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post a new thread with copper by itself.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post a new thread with copper by itself.

Yeah apparently this copper is a pretty big deal, I had no idea, this site teaches me new things almost everyday!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting to find an old silver like that. Of course silver always gets our adrenaline pumping. But that is a nice copper you found as well. I have found two of the one real pistereens in SW Pennsylvania, and half a dozen that were cut from one or two reale pistereens, but I've never found that French copper. Living in Pennsylvania, you have a good chance of finding another if you get on the right spot.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah education of me and others will make this Banner
thanks a lot Tyler that means a lot!

Very exciting to find an old silver like that. Of course silver always gets our adrenaline pumping. But that is a nice copper you found as well. I have found two of the one real pistereens in SW Pennsylvania, and half a dozen that were cut from one or two reale pistereens, but I've never found that French copper. Living in Pennsylvania, you have a good chance of finding another if you get on the right spot.
thanks Steve it's nice to get good words from a hunter like yourself, my two oldest coins ever came into short hunts, I'm thrilled to have em!!

Thanks again! !

Chestdiesel

Jul 26, 2014
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unreal!! An E Trac out with a 3030, on Colonial sites, you guys can, and did, do some serious damage! Congrats! And thanks for sharing! That silver is so sick!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unreal!! An E Trac out with a 3030, on Colonial sites, you guys can, and did, do some serious damage! Congrats! And thanks for sharing! That silver is so sick!

Thanks alot CD!, I own an etrac, but was using vinos ctx, he was using his deus, so yeah thay site didn't stand a chance lol!!!!

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely one of those occasions where you hope you packed the butt wipes. Just in case you shat yourself.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely one of those occasions where you hope you packed the butt wipes. Just in case you shat yourself.

LOL!!! thanks will, but I thought it was gonna come out the other end, I literally felt like I was gonna puke I was so nerved up!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read about you finding your first silver half then read this post, WOW!! Your KILLING IT!!

Congrats on the Spanish silver and that French copper, Amazing day!!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Chris!!! Next time get George's Deus so you can get the good ones he is trying to keep for himself! LOL and just kiddie' of course. :)

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading more of those posts in this thread and understanding the nature of your copper, I nominated it for the banner!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you did it!!!
No modern silver will ever compare to the feeling you got today..If it was not 95 degrees out today I would of thought you were freezing, because how much you were shaking??? Lol.
Boy im sure glad I pulled that 8reale out of there the other week, before you got there! I might have thrown you in the pound. Lol.
Congrats Chris..That is a awsome coin. Glad I could see that coming out..
I post tomorrow, I have a great video of it.
George

That's it I'm moving to the NE!!!

Congratz on the Awesome Finds.
Davers

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just read about you finding your first silver half then read this post, WOW!! Your KILLING IT!

Congrats on the Spanish silver and that French copper, Amazing day!!
thanks deershed, it's been a phenomenal past few hunts, I appreciate it!

After reading more of those posts in this thread and understanding the nature of your copper, I nominated it for the banner!
Thanks alot keith, although I was using the ctx for the spanish, I could have easily gotten it w my machine, really loving this etrac!

Thanks again!

metalfun

Jun 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Makes my oldest 1832 half dime sound alot newer.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions