UNBELIEVABLE FINDS OF A LIFETIME! 1728 SPANISH SILVER & 1722 FRENCH COPPER!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got out today down in good old Philadelphia with George. Started out at a 1700s riverfront home hes hit before, I didn't do to hot there but George made a couple of good finds there, I managed a flat button of sorts and the oil lamp part with the wick still attached , I cant quite make out the patent date. 20150623_202453.jpg After that we tried door knocking and let me tell you how very very old and beautiful these homes were. Tried to get permission at 2 different places before George decided to take me to the site of his 8 reale from a few weeks ago. George wanted me to try his CTX3030 all day and see what I thought, I gotta say im impressed with it, its pretty fast compared to my etrac, similar operations/tones/VDI's, etc though. So we get geared up and went down by the pond, within 10 minutes I got a LOUD AND CLEAR 10-41-ish tone, it was 10 40 something, still a blur, I kinda lost focus for a bit when I popped the plug and saw that familiar glimmer of silver, and upon closer inspection I see SPANISH!!!, I carry it over to George, shaking, near puking, lightheaded etc etc etc, and wiped the dirt off it in front of him to reveal the most beautiful coin I have ever dug, the oldest coin I have ever dug, Three hard fought years of wishing/hoping/dreaming brought me to this point, :headbang: 1728 SPANISH SILVER! :headbang: I cant believe it still!! big reale.jpg Untitledsdf.png Untitled.png George was nice enough to get in touch with Bill D and he identified it as a Spanish pistareen. I was so pumped to get this, George gave me a hard time a bit because of HIS machine on HIS site but it was all in good fun lol! I cant believe it was only 5 inches down, I could've easily got that with my etrac!, ok anyway after that I had a hard time focusing, I was haphazardly detecting around until I sat, focused, and slowed down, managed a few more decent finds such as the 1889 IH, and a Silver Roosie, and a fired musketball. we had to leave shortly after that but I was in the mood for a little more so I headed to the school from 2 weeks ago and very first signal was this Mystery copper, 20150623_204940.jpg 20150623_174556.jpg 20150623_202610.jpg I think I see FRAN___ something on the 2nd line of the one side of it. 20150623_202610.jpg its slightly larger than a US quarter, I got 6 wheats after that and left because the sky opened up on me. 20150623_202403.jpg 20150623_204924.jpg I don't know if I can ever top this day, likely not and im OK with that, today was by far the greatest detecting day I have ever had, thank you George!!! super awesome of you to share such a killer site with me, hope I can repay you someday

thanks for looking and hh!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 65
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Makes my oldest 1832 half dime sound alot newer.HH

Now that's a coin I'd LOVE to get, I want a half dime in the worst way!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Happy Hunting to you too! What a fantastic day. Good friends good sites and good finds!
HH

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Happy Hunting to you too! What a fantastic day. Good friends good sites and good finds!
HH
Thanks TNM, the fact that I was lucky enough to get the coil over such old coins is awesome!, add in the fact that I was able to share the excitement with a fellow hunter right there with me, even better!, that's why I love hunting with others, ya just never know!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just thinking about this awesome coin again. Just had to relive the moment with you again. It reminds me of how we all have special coins we're all dreaming about finding. We almost figure it will never happen when something like this pops out of the past! I have one special coin I've had my heart set on finding ever since I started over 40 years ago. It's not all that valuable or rare, just haven't found one yet. (And it's not gold! LOL ) But, even though I'm not superstitious, I won't tell anyone what it is until I find one. :)

In the meantime, seeing something as special as yours keeps me forever hopeful. That I'll get this bucket list find before I kick that bucket.

Congrats again on a wonderful save!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just thinking about this awesome coin again. Just had to relive the moment with you again. It reminds me of how we all have special coins we're all dreaming about finding. We almost figure it will never happen when something like this pops out of the past! I have one special coin I've had my heart set on finding ever since I started over 40 years ago. It's not all that valuable or rare, just haven't found one yet. (And it's not gold! LOL ) But, even though I'm not superstitious, I won't tell anyone what it is until I find one. :)

In the meantime, seeing something as special as yours keeps me forever hopeful. That I'll get this bucket list find before I kick that bucket.

Congrats again on a wonderful save!

Thanks so much Gary, I cant say that when I started detecting 3 years ago I had a specific goal of finding a 1728 Spanish pistareen. In fact, I only had goals of "treasure hunting" with my boys. Joining treasurenet and seeing how cool a lot of the finds members were making of course made me want to experience those same feelings. So with each upgraded detector, and knocking a new "first" or "bucket list coin" off my list, this hobby became more ingrained in my mind, ive become obsessed if you will lol. I clearly remember our first wheat cent, we thought we hit the jackpot!, then of course came the first silver coin, my 44 mercury dime which is still in its 2x2 holder, first silver quarter, first, SLQ, first indian, etc. etc. Some of the best memories came in my cornfield with my son (then 11 yrs old) stumbling upon the old homesite and nailing our first Large cent was probably the coolest feeling yet, my son grabbed it out of my hand and sprinted back and forth across the field, yes like the guys on "diggers" lol. I was blessed that he got to experience that with me, along with a 2 center, which before joining tnet I had no clue even existed. As expected, he got a bit older, hes become "too cool" for detecting and I understand, hes chasing a different treasure at the moment (girls lol) cant say I didn't either at almost 15 yrs old. My 8 yr old is starting to get interested so I will have a new hunting buddy soon.

So that brings me to current day, like I said, a 1728 Spanish wasn't on my list, I just wanted 1700 something silver, I wanted old Spanish silver, I wanted something significant that I can post on treasurenet and have all you people enjoy as much as I did, and quite honestly, the replies and responses are great and are what keep me going, if I had posted it and got like 2 or 3 replies without meaning like "good job" or "attaboy" it wouldn't keep my drive going. Of course we like to post our goods and show off a bit, that's what we come here for right? Best part was having someone there to witness it as it unfolded. A coin from that day that seemed to go by the wayside (my fault because I didn't know its significance) is that 1722 French 9 deniers. That is the oldest coin I have ever found, and its significant in the fact that it has a strong possibility of being carried by a revolutionary war soldier because of the location it was found at. Its slowly becoming my most favorite coin.

this thread is almost 1 week old, I cant stop looking at those coins, what a special day for me, only wish my son would have been there to share the excitement. I still cant get the grin off my face, finding those coins and getting the response I got from it has put me in a nice mood that's going to be hard
to shake, so thanks again, to you and all the others that have taken the time to read the post and reply and enjoy it as much as I did!!

hope for more soon!!!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any day you find Spanish Silver is a good one !
I remember my first one, a 2R and even caught it on "live" video as it popped out of the clump of dirt.
Find of a lifetime...I think so, but not for the Spanish, the French copper of 1721-22 IMO is the find of a lifetime, and here is why I think so. Only 8,000 stayed in the colonies, most of the issue was returned to France.

The last one I recall seeing posted was BuckleBoy about three years ago, consider where he lives you might expect to maybe find one there. anyway BuckleBoy, Bill D., Steve of PA, to name a couple all have found lots of Spanish, but only one, other than yours has showed up for that French Copper, in at least three years. I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it's rarity.

Anyway you did have a great day in the dirt.

PS again that copper is more rare than a CS plate or 8 Reale, at least to dig, and "IT" is the find of the day. You will find more Spanish I can almost guarantee it, but another 9 deniers...not bloddy likely. If you were lucky enough to get just a bit more condition on it it would be banner...and maybe it is anyway.

You should PM Buckleboy for his opinion, if you don't like / believe what I'm saying.

Rick

Rick is absolutely right. These coins are very rare to dig. The reason is because they were minted by France for French possessions and colonies in the new world, and because they were under weight in copper content, most of the ones that came to port in French Canada stayed on the boat until they were sent BACK to France. These did not circulate in France, because they were way under weight, so your theory about a French soldier carrying one is not very likely, unfortunately. To my knowledge, the only place these circulated in the New World was Louisiana. So to me it is much more likely that the copper you dug was accepted in Louisiana as coinage, circulated there, and made its way up north through trade, as opposed to coming in through the closer port in Canada. The one I found had a hole right in the center, dug at a colonial era tavern site in Louisiana. In other words, it was found to be underweight and was cancelled very primitively. My hunch is that these coins didn't circulate for very long before they were replaced by better coppers that were of the correct weight. I was absolutely thrilled to dig one of these interesting coins, and for you I'd say that it was certainly the find of the hunt. To date there are only four members of Treasurenet to dig one since the forum was started ten years ago. That will give you a sense of how hard it is to find one. Welcome to the club!

-Buck

P.S.--here is the link to the one I dug (the worst of the 4 examples on Tnet): http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...al-copper-double-spanish-silver-military.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick is absolutely right. These coins are very rare to dig. The reason is because they were minted by France for French possessions and colonies in the new world, and because they were under weight in copper content, most of the ones that came to port in French Canada stayed on the boat until they were sent BACK to France. These did not circulate in France, because they were way under weight, so your theory about a French soldier carrying one is not very likely, unfortunately. To my knowledge, the only place these circulated in the New World was Louisiana. So to me it is much more likely that the copper you dug was accepted in Louisiana as coinage, circulated there, and made its way up north through trade, as opposed to coming in through the closer port in Canada. The one I found had a hole right in the center, dug at a colonial era tavern site in Louisiana. In other words, it was found to be underweight and was cancelled very primitively. My hunch is that these coins didn't circulate for very long before they were replaced by better coppers that were of the correct weight. I was absolutely thrilled to dig one of these interesting coins, and for you I'd say that it was certainly the find of the hunt. To date there are only four members of Treasurenet to dig one since the forum was started ten years ago. That will give you a sense of how hard it is to find one. Welcome to the club!

-Buck

P.S.--here is the link to the one I dug (the worst of the 4 examples on Tnet): http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...al-copper-double-spanish-silver-military.html
wow!, I had no idea so little have been posted, I understand the french soldier idea was a long shot but it was cool to think maybe just maybe. It's still a cool story on how most were shipped back to france!, I would've never thought in a million years I'd get lucky enough to find one myself, I'm glad to be a part of that club. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it!

Chris
Those are simply an amazing finds !
Gary
thanks alot gary, it was such a blast, that vino is a good guy for sharing such a great spot with me, and that French coin was a total shock, in my haste I just threw it in my pouch for a bit, expecting it to be a half cent until a bit later I sat down and investigated it further, totally unexpected!

Thanks again!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris it should be Banner. With all new info and education of us less informed on such a coin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm late posting, but see the French is getting some discussion, as I think it should because it's the better find of the two. :)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely nice finds of a lifetime. It's one beautiful pile of treasure.

Congrats on a great hunt.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris it should be Banner. With all new info and education of us less informed on such a coin.
Thanks again tyler, its neat learning new stuff from others here, I had NO clue what that was until some others informed me!

I'm late posting, but see the French is getting some discussion, as I think it should because it's the better find of the two. :)
Thanks IP, I just wish I can get the date off of it, almost certain its 1721 or 22 though

Definitely nice finds of a lifetime. It's one beautiful pile of treasure.

Congrats on a great hunt.
Thanks a lot, over a week later I still cant believe that day!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, as I said, ;) And WELL you should!! This could be one of those that the memory
never gets replaced.
Yes sir, man if you could've heard me shout out to George "SPANISH!!!!!" lol, couldn't believe it, and that French copper I just stuffed in my pocket thinking it was another half cent, to my surprise once I got home and saw what It was, I knew I had something special!

Congrats on the colonial finds!!! :occasion14:
Thanks for commenting McDig, its an 11 day old post that keeps popping up, im glad people are enjoying this thread, check out the video if you already haven't, kind of catches the moment!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, can't believe I'm just now seeing your post of two amazing coins cjon, I must be loosing it lol, I read thru every post this is such a great thread! And while it's been said the French copper may be the "better" of both finds, I LOVE silver coins (gold too of course but they're probably out of the question for me lol), there is nothing like that shiney gleam of a freshly dug silver coin seeing the light of day for in who knows how long, but to suddenly realize that what you're looking at is an OLD spanish coin!!! I can't imagine how you felt, but I'll watch the video next to see!

My "oldest" coin, and I put oldest in quotes because it is not old at all by comparison, is 186 years newer than yours lol! It's a 1914 (yup, in 3 years I haven't managed to get any coin in the 1800's!) Barber dime. NOTHING in comparison to the colonial coins you guys an gals back East dig, but remembering back to that day I dug my 1st Barber coin, to me it was the most exciting coin I've ever found, well, that and the 1915 barber dime I dug a week later.

So in coming from my perspectin of coins only in the early 1900's, I can't begin to fathom the excitement and enjoyment you got from finding those coins, and of having your friend there with you to share it with, what an amazing hunt to have experienced! I know you will relive that moment for years, and those of the great experiences you were able to share with your son. So huge congratulations to you! I've really enjoyed reading all of the posts in your thread and agree that both are BANNER finds!

With a little luck, maybe when I go back to Maryland to visit my wife's family who knows, I might get lucky yet!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, can't believe I'm just now seeing your post of two amazing coins cjon, I must be loosing it lol, I read thru every post this is such a great thread! And while it's been said the French copper may be the "better" of both finds, I LOVE silver coins (gold too of course but they're probably out of the question for me lol), there is nothing like that shiney gleam of a freshly dug silver coin seeing the light of day for in who knows how long, but to suddenly realize that what you're looking at is an OLD spanish coin!!! I can't imagine how you felt, but I'll watch the video next to see!

My "oldest" coin, and I put oldest in quotes because it is not old at all by comparison, is 186 years newer than yours lol! It's a 1914 (yup, in 3 years I haven't managed to get any coin in the 1800's!) Barber dime. NOTHING in comparison to the colonial coins you guys an gals back East dig, but remembering back to that day I dug my 1st Barber coin, to me it was the most exciting coin I've ever found, well, that and the 1915 barber dime I dug a week later.

So in coming from my perspectin of coins only in the early 1900's, I can't begin to fathom the excitement and enjoyment you got from finding those coins, and of having your friend there with you to share it with, what an amazing hunt to have experienced! I know you will relive that moment for years, and those of the great experiences you were able to share with your son. So huge congratulations to you! I've really enjoyed reading all of the posts in your thread and agree that both are BANNER finds!

With a little luck, maybe when I go back to Maryland to visit my wife's family who knows, I might get lucky yet!
thanks McClod!, ya know your comments are the reason I love posting on this site, a thread almost 2 weeks old still manages to catch the attention of people, and yes in was beyond excited, I was shaking like a leaf, I couldn't focus to keep detecting after that, took a while to calm down!!

I had a 2 hr drive home to kinda cool down and collect my thoughts, I wish I could've captured the moment on camera of when I flipped the plug, and popped some more dirt out to reveal that coin, all I did was yell SPANISH!, I've found a 1794 1/2 reale and I knew this one was better because of its size, so thank you very much, I'm glad people are still enjoying this thread!

Thanks!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer