What's new

Unidentified "Clay" snake/fish head found while sifting in Summerville, SC Creek

skimfizz

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 11, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unidentified "Clay" snake/fish head found while sifting in Summerville, SC Creek

It was recommended that I post this to the "Native American Artifacts" forum for possible identification. I do hope that someone has an idea of what it is, even if it's not Native American. It's still a neat little piece. Please read below for details...


ORIGINAL POST:

Hello, I found this while searching a creek in Summerville, SC. It's 1.5" x 1.5" or so. I cleaned it up, and it resembles the head of a snake or fish. Scales, eyes, bottom mouth, but the "back" is open and flat, and does not appear to have been broken off a larger piece.

Any ideas??

Thanks for looking!!
 

Attachments

  • SAM_7950 (1280x929).webp
    SAM_7950 (1280x929).webp
    55.4 KB · Views: 480
  • SAM_7949 (1280x889).webp
    SAM_7949 (1280x889).webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 325
  • SAM_7948 (1280x1198).webp
    SAM_7948 (1280x1198).webp
    96.9 KB · Views: 387
  • SAM_7946 (1280x1015).webp
    SAM_7946 (1280x1015).webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 314
  • SAM_7945 (1280x1048).webp
    SAM_7945 (1280x1048).webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0
Hello Skimfizz...
I realize this post is from 2012, however I have found the same artifact in SE Arkansas this morning. I was searching the web and this is the only one I've seen so far!!! Please contact me by email if you get this message... Bama_vet_girl@yahoo.com
Thanks! Happy hunting!!!
 
Show us pictures of your please Point princess.

The first piece looks natural to me. Very cool, but natural.
 
Pretty sure that's an otolith. Inner ear bone from a seagoing mammal. That knurled look sure looks familiar. Never seen the shape though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom