Union Depot Station, Pueblo, Colorado. Planning the hunt.

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have worked for the owners of the Depot in Pueblo since 2014. I have been metal detecting for a week, and already have the fever to hunt. Today I plan on asking permission to metal detect the property.
My family lived in Pueblo since the 1800's. In 1943 my grandfather left for WWII from this station, and post war my family rode to California on the same rails. I moved here for the affordable living, but also the family history.
In 1921, Pueblo suffered a catastrophic flood. The Depot itself was in about 10' of water, and left with 18" of silt once the water receded. I don't anticipate permission being an issue, even still this site is but part of my greater search area.
I want to video some of the hunts, but I am waiting to sweep some areas first.
Wish me luck, stay tuned...
If you were to search such a place, where would YOU start? 20180126_044551.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere I could swing a coil around there. Yes sir.

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Permission was granted. Darn it now I am going to have to video it :)

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! I have often wondered where the early rendezvous were held. Pueblo has a lot of history. It would be fun for me just to hunt the old ally’s of the older parts of town. Congratulations on your permission! I hope you get into an older layer!

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going crazy with anticipation. Next Tuesday or Wednesday I will have the time to explore. The suspense is killer.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of Luck to you in your search of Pueblo. Now you have us anticipating posted pic's of your finds. Go get em'.

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will take pictures and videos no matter what I find, it should be interesting to crawl around under a building built in 1889.
As far as the pants... over rated. It's all about the overalls.

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fourth target in a small corner area of the front lawn. Literally took 30 minutes in a 3x3 area I started with...that still has targets....
I think this is going to be an awesome spot!
20180128_063404.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Coins will usually find the bottom sooner than being sweap very far. I would start anywhere I could get signal over hotrock.Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The soil was interesting. It was dark at 5am, but I had a bright street light. At any rate, the lawn raises above the side walk by 2" or so, and at the 4"-5" depth the soil gets darker with small river cobble medium to heavily mixed. The button was a bit over an inch above that division.
This leads me to suspect the river cobble as possible flood debris, as it is different from the native soil in similar strata. I will work outwards from that point more in the morning

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A slight disappointment this morning. The deepest target yet, at almost 6" was foil of some kind. Modern looking enough to now question the soil layers.
Still finding sand river cobble starting at 3" down. It becomes hard to dig. Best target so far today was a memorial cent at 4-5" that is heavily degraded. Judging by the look of it, at least it is copper.
Still lots of targets, and I am still working on mastering discrimination and notch. Mostly I am on all metal mode, as I plan to dig every target anyhow.
Any hints or tips are always welcome, until then, happy hunting!

OP
OP
B

Bashroo

Jan 25, 2018
Colorado/Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From 3am to 5am today, I explored the basement. I found a ridiculous amount of nails, and a couple other interesting things. I have video, working on putting them together! Stay tuned, the YouTube channel is: The Dysfunctional Detectorist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread