Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Union Soldier's Medallion???? Help!!!

Found this in the vicinity of a Fort in Wyoming. I have never seen anything like it before. It is copper about the size of a nickel. It appears to have a Cabriolet on the front with a house in the background along with a fence.
The back is much harder to see. It appears to have a bird on a branch and some more structures and maybe some teepees. There is no mint mark or date.
Soldiers at some of the Forts here is Wyoming were Buffalo Soldiers. I wonder if the medallion has some kind of plantation significance.
I think it is pretty old. Any ideas? Thanks for looking. HH

Attachments

• soldier medallion side a.jpg
    soldier medallion side a.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 128
  • soldier medallion side b.jpg
    soldier medallion side b.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 134

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One side of the object definitely shows a horse pulling a Sulky, in a scene from Sulky Harness Racing.

Sulky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That very strongly indicates the object is not a "Union Soldier's Medallion" -- and has no Military connection at all.

The building at the bottom on the object's other side looks like a fancy horseracing-track building, such as at Churchill Downs.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is very similar to the horse jumping over the fence token that several members have found. Sorry I cant post a pic because I dont know how.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have done some more research on "Love Tokens" and have found that most of them were a coin with the face smoothed off. After that a person would make their own designs into the surface of the coin by making impressions on it with various instruments or even just a pocket knife.
The front of this particular token has all of the details "raised" on the coin, not "inscribed" as with a pocket knife. This leads me to believe it may have been professionally minted somewhere. It does not have the look of an amateurs "doodling".

As far as what I meant about the token being a "soldiers medallion" is that I believe a soldier possibly wore this around his neck. It is obvious that the scene depicted on the token has absolutely nothing to do with anything Military. The place where I found the token was occupied by Cavalry Soldiers.

But I cannot find another token like or even similar to this one as of yet to be able to date it. Anyone else have any ideas?

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
In my opinion its not amatuer doodling. Its a manufactured token, fob, medaliion or part of a medal.. It dosnt look like a love token and you cant even consider it UNLESS its the exact size of a coin but love tokens are engraved, not stamped.

Nothing to suggest a soldier wore it at this point but we havent IDed it yet and we havent IDed the other ones either. With no monetary value, no way is it a minted coin . Its a neat old item and my guess its part of some kind of horse or farming organization medal like Grange... or a part of a mail order catalog watch fob with a nice country scene.

Like I said it looks very similar to the horse jumping over the fence medallion but I cant seem to post images sorry or I could post one similar.. I tried all different ways. Maybe someone will search. This format does not appear to be user friendly to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is not a house in the background. It is a tower at the sulky racetrack as CBG indicated.

0604000342-l.jpg

Like this... This photo is from the early 20th C.

Can we get a better pic of the "branch" side?

Cool item!

DCMatt

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly an image of the round barn at Red Mile Racetrack in Lexington?

cfiles26235.jpg

1875?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am working on a better pic of the other side of the item.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good catch CBG. I missed that. Looking more like a part of a medal from harness racing or horse/racing club/organization.

Not coin
Not love token
Not Union soldier medallion

But a cool find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sulky Racing Medallion?? New Pic added

Well I have learned a lot while researching this item but still have not identified it. I am adding a new pic of side B as seen in better detail with the assistance of a black light. I definitely see a bird on a branch and two structures at the bottom. Also some things that look like teepees or pyramids?? Very interesting but what the H*LL is it? :unhappysmiley:

Attachments

• finds 2 23 12 001.JPG
    finds 2 23 12 001.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
OP
OP
alderan33

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sulky Racing Medallion?? New Pic added

Well I have learned a lot while researching this item but still have not identified it. I am adding a new pic of side B as seen in better detail with the assistance of a black light. I definitely see a bird on a branch and two structures at the bottom. Also some things that look like teepees or pyramids?? Very interesting but what the H*LL is it?
unhappysmiley.png

Attachments

• finds 2 23 12 001.JPG
    finds 2 23 12 001.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 126
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is very similar to the horse jumping over the fence token that several members have found. Sorry I cant post a pic because I dont know how.

When you reply, you have to hit "Go Advanced" which will open the reply window with more options (like adding photos). Scroll down to "Manage Attachments."

Click that, and a window will pop up. Hit "Browse" and find the file you want to attach (just like the old TreasureNet). When you are done uploading the first 5 files, click "Upload" and then "Close Window." Your files will now be attached to your post.

Then click "Submit Reply."

:thumbsup:

If you need any help with the new layout, please send me a PM my friend. We need your ID skills around here, and I know that learning the new forum can be a headache.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I finally figured it out but I dont know why they choose to use a format so unuser friendly.

There is no way I can send a PM and my mailbox is full and I cant figure out how to delete mine. Like Napoleon said retreating from Waterloo- "There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous." I cant even post a smiley face. Im ready to surrender.

I need some time for personal issues anyway. Im not concentrating anymore. Ill be back and TN will stay on top.. (thumbs up icon) I notice a lot of people are working hard to make it better.
thumb_up.png
Hey I dragged an icon lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Intresting indeed Big cypress, i thoght the same thing about the plow medallions..... apparently posting pics (modzilla spell check) or sharing links dont work in the "new" tnet world. sad...

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally figured it out but I dont know why they choose to use a format so unuser friendly.

There is no way I can send a PM and my mailbox is full and I cant figure out how to delete mine. Like Napoleon said retreating from Waterloo- "There is only one step from the sublime to the ridiculous." I cant even post a smiley face. Im ready to surrender.

I need some time for personal issues anyway. Im not concentrating anymore. Ill be back and TN will stay on top.. (thumbs up icon) I notice a lot of people are working hard to make it better.
thumb_up.png

Click the box on the right of any messages that you'd like to delete so that it has a green check in it. Then scroll to the bottom and click "Selected Messages." On the drop-down menu, select "Delete." Then click "Proceed."

If you want to send a PM, click "Private Messages" on the top to go to your Inbox. Then click "send new message" on the left hand side. Start typing the name of the person you'd like to send to in the "Recipient Users" box at the top, and as you're typing, names will pop up. (This is actually an Improvement on the old site, where you had to visit someone's profile or find a post by them to send them a PM unless you knew the exact spelling of their user name). For example, if I want to send one to you, but don't know if it is Big Cypress Hunter, or BigCypressHunter, or Big CypressHunter, I can start typing, pausing between adding each letter. When I type the first 3 letters ("big") I get lots of names that pop up. When I type the next letter "bigc" I get 8 user names that pop up, including yours. But when I get to "bigcy" then your name is the only user popping up, and I click your name and it loads your complete, correctly-spelled user name into the recipient box. :thumbsup:

If you need any other help, just reply to this thread and I will reply here.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Intresting indeed Big cypress, i thoght the same thing about the plow medallions..... apparently posting pics (modzilla spell check) or sharing links dont work in the "new" tnet world. sad...

They most certainly do work in the new world. Read my reply to BigCy above on how to reply with pics. This works the same way when you add photos to a new topic post. Links can be copied and pasted as always, and youtube links will link with a video just like the old Tnet.

-Buck

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE

thumb_up.png

I feel the same way BigC :( I had to delete all the PMs I wanted to save - you will need to do a mass deletion if you want to be able to send and receive again. I lost my list of large copper finds that I had saved in my profile... such a little thing but it bothers me every time I think about it.

I needed to cut back any way but this makes it so much easier. I am so uncomfortable with this layout!

I'm sorry Buckleboy but I just can't get motivated about this place with all the changes. I come here less and less and threads I would have posted to in the past I just can't seem to make the effort to reply. I have no enthusiasm for this.

I've been to a couple other detecting forums and I like their layout so much better! Simple Machines would have been a much better upgrade here - it is more like the old forum. And I am disappointed that I think the new owners chose V-Bulletin b/c they were more familiar with it and did not take the old membership into consideration.

As far as this very cool find goes ------ I studied early standardbred racing when I was younger. This is a high wheeled sulky and it made me think of the great trotting mare Maud S. Maybe a commemorative of one of her races or another notable horse. That was a high time in harness racing.

6h70uq.jpg

Maud S trotted 2:08:75, a record which will remain forever as the fastest time on a regulation track for any horse in harness to a "high-wheeled sulky." She set the record on July 30, 1885 in Cleveland, OH.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions