collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
110_0759.JPG 110_0760.JPG 110_0761.JPG 110_0762.JPG Hi,I found this military-medal looking object the other day,while I was metal detecting in Ireland.I think its brass,i have no idea what it is,but it looks military.
Could someone please help me to identify this?
Thanks,

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will try my hand at IDing your wreath. According to Kerksis' book your wreath looks like the US sword belt plate made around 1872. It has a rarity rating of 7. Note how you don't have a space bar between the wreath and the loop. There are very few examples of that. I would consider your find as an excellent catch.

I should have mentioned that the tongue is an eagle with his wings out at 9 and 3 oclock. There is a bunch of stars over his head and he seems to be gripping an ankor in its claw. There may be some other examples but I didn't notice them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will try my hand at IDing your wreath. According to Kerksis' book your wreath looks like the US sword belt plate made around 1872. It has a rarity rating of 7. Note how you don't have a space bar between the wreath and the loop. There are very few examples of that. I would consider your find as an excellent catch.

I should have mentioned that the tongue is an eagle with his wings out at 9 and 3 oclock. There is a bunch of stars over his head and he seems to be gripping an ankor in its claw. There may be some other examples but I didn't notice them.

:icon_thumleft: if you note the back view on the example you describe,it has a slot vs the ears/tabs we see on the one in question,also it resembles the 1855 Navy buckle on the preceeding page,but again,doesnt have the ears/tabs(these are commonly seen on British made pieces)...there actually is an infinate number of tongues that used that motif wreath,without precise measurements of the beltloops and the inside and out,its tough to say for sure what tongue went with it for absolute postive.It being found in another country widens the chances as well,there are a great many of these buckles that were British made that I have never seen in any book

Dug...I laud your ID,and even having Kersis' book,it will help immensly,just look for those minute little details....and then the measurements.....and even then its tough to say,for sure.Many of these cast brass buckles were bench modified/filed to marry two pieces,as the casting process often left a bit to be desired ...for lack of a better word

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were many many two piece buckles made, and they were made from before the civil war right up to and a little after WW1. Many were made for police and fire departments and many more for fraternal organizations. Many were made by the same firms that made them for the military, so without the center piece there is no way of telling what the buckle was. Also note that he found it in Ireland, and the English and other European countries used the two piece buckles as well as here in the U.S. It is a cool piece, but to prove it's origin and use is not really a possible feat.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but there is no marking where a second loop would have went...

Upvote 0

GpSnoopy

Sep 14, 2008
Grande Prairie, AB
Detector(s) used
MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collector, tongue and wreath buckles have 2 parts. You have only one half of the buckle. The 2 pieces interlock to form the actual buckle. Here's an example of the 2 parts.

Attachments

• Tongue and wreath buckle.jpg
    Tongue and wreath buckle.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Collector, tongue and wreath buckles have 2 parts. You have only one half of the buckle. The 2 pieces interlock to form the actual buckle. Here's an example of the 2 parts.
Yes,I thought you realized that.You have whats called the wreath,half of a tongue and wreath buckle.(that is actually my buckle in the picture :icon_thumleft:)They were used by both miltary and civilian's

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

collectorconor

Dec 20, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euroace
Teknetics EuroTek Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks.Maybe ill find the other part some day.

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of a Boys Brigade Belt Clasp/Buckle...cool find 8-)

SS

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I disagree. Do you think this is a US wreath?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. Do you think this is a US wreath?
re-reading my blather,I see it may be a bit confusing.......I do not beleive this is a US piece,although there are some that were "US",that are semi-similar :icon_thumleft:

I have a stamped brass example of this(this one is cast brass),that is "British".Some time ago there was a whole variety of these came up on E-Bay,and I unfortunatly didnt save any of the information

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re-reading my blather,I see it may be a bit confusing.......I do not beleive this is a US piece,although there are some that were "US",that are semi-similar :icon_thumleft:

I have a stamped brass example of this(this one is cast brass),that is "British".Some time ago there was a whole variety of these came up on E-Bay,and I unfortunatly didnt save any of the information

Yep, that was a rhetorical question. ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread