What's new

unknown Native American Artifact

Kristobal

Tenderfoot
Joined
Oct 1, 2014
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20140919_174431_372.webpIMG_20140919_174640_297.webpIMG_20140919_174543_104.webp
Please help me identify this artifact for a friend. He says it was found somewhere in Alabama.
 
Upvote 0
Looks like the grooves were cut with a bench grinder to me.
 
Last edited:
I'd have to agree.
 
Definitely looks a little fishy I'm only looking at a photo but I would be compelled to wipe it with some rubbing alcohol and see if stain comes off
 
It could be something they ground material off of for making paint too. What appears to be grinding marks imho looks like it has to many facets to be from a modern grinding wheel.
 
It could be something they ground material off of for making paint too. What appears to be grinding marks imho looks like it has to many facets to be from a modern grinding wheel.
I side with you Quito. The work looks far more sporadic than that of a modern tool.
 
My initial impression is that it was a recent fabrication which i believe can be duplicated with a bench grinder or a hand held cable grinder...
 
In my opinion, the width of the small grooves and the cross striations suggest a small high speed wheel, such as what "stefen" suggested.
 
What would it be anyway a double bitted half groove celt axe?
 
This is JMO but what I see is tool marks on a artifact, notice where the groove is at ,it is a different color in the photos to me. The marks that make up the groove I think are from a type of grinding tool and it looks sporadic due to the way it was ground down with a small wheel. The bit end and the other end does not show these marks, those parts look real. I think this was a head to a club that someone tried to make look like a axe and this is just what I see from photos and sometime photo on a computer can throw you off. It's odd that's for sure???
 
hey hey kristobal

welcome to the tnet hope you like it

i mean no disrespect but i think like a few others here think.........you have a real artifact but it somehow got modified by something modern.....just my opinion from the images

hard to understand from the picture.......keep hunting my friend
 
It is a hand held tool of some sort for a right hander. I will suggest using thinner to my friend and see if any stain comes off. It looks like a nice original dark patina to me but, I really know nothing about artifacts. He says this was found by someone in the Alabama area of the country.

I was at my friends house and was showing him my Grandpas collection that is up for sale via proxibid and ending this weekend, he pulled out his finds and asked me what I knew about them. I told him I would snap a few photos and upload them to the internet for the experts to look at. I will get some more photos of the rest of his finds he has questions about. He does not want to sell it, he just wants to know what tribe might have made it and what it is called. It fits perfectly in the hand and could be used for a number of things, like cutting wood, a hand held weapon, etc..

Here is a link to my Grandpa's auctions that end this weekend in case anyone would like to see what he accumulated over 30+ years of collecting.
https://www.proxibid.com/asp/catalog.asp?aid=85634&ipp=100&sort=0
My family really did not want to sell them because my Grandpa took great pride in the collection, but it is just to hard to split them up not knowing the actual values so my mom and her siblings decided the best thing to do was sell them at auction. I am hoping to win the clay pipes because I helped him find one of them, I never found an arrow though:( He had an eagle eye when it came to finding them. He was located in a prime area for searching and traveled the state walking many of different fields.
 
Yep I scanned allot of the items for sale and he did buy some. I did see some reproductions mixed in. Just so you know. Its a shame how low the bids were on them. Memories cost more than that IMO
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom