What's new

Unknown obect.

Mattkoz

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hi, I need the ID of this item. It was found in a creek near some 1700's houses. It appears to be copper and was once plated with brass or gold. It is also hollow and there are no makers marks on it. Any help would be great. Thanks.
HPIM01703.jpg

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0174.jpg
 
I remember Grandma using something shaped like that when she was making a quilt. Used it to hold one end down while she worked on the other. I think beaks might have got it first. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Being brass makes me think nautical, small spy glass? Look like there ever was any lenses inside?

Nice find anyway, I like it, and thanks for sharing pic.

BW
 
Upvote 0
It will be impossible to guess if we don't see the ends. Is the big end capped closed or does it have a hole?
 
Upvote 0
In my last guess, I said quilt, but I meant Afghan. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Matt, I'm assuming the big cap on the end is attached permanently to the thing? if it is all one piece and there's a bit of rusted metal on the tip, perhaps it is a parasol handle which once had a steel reinforced wooden shaft?
 
Upvote 0
I agree with others that we need to see a pic of the small end. Both ends would be better. Dig the rocks out and see whats inside.

I would like to know if the inside is wood. I think parasol handles and swagger sticks were wood inside.
 
Upvote 0
Well this is really strange but i dug out the black stuff and it was some type of magnetic matal because it stuck to my knife. It seems that the first 2 inches on the small end is filled with it, and the rest is hollow. Not sure this helps but makes it even weirder.
 
Upvote 0
the parasol looks like the best bet. maybe it was just broke off.

i would ask if the metal inside is hollow? and check the diameter against a modern umbrella.

heck great ideas id-ing this object
 
Upvote 0
Here's a few pic of both ends. Maybe this will help with the ID. Thanks for all the replies.
IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg
 
Upvote 0
No, theres no threads but im trying to get the thing on the larger end open because it feels like there is somthing there and not like its hollow.
 
Upvote 0
Mattkoz said:
No, theres no threads but im trying to get the thing on the larger end open because it feels like there is somthing there and not like its hollow.

I wouldn't destroy the relic just to see what's inside it. Sounds like there is a piece of wood still in there, or maybe it is thicker brass up top.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Well all i did was get some of this black, crusty stuff out of the hole on it, It looks like somthing went into it and there is another layer of brass under the layer of the black stuff. I'm going to a big antique shop this week so i'll ask some people at the place to see if they know what it is.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom