What's new

Unknown obect.

Mattkoz

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2009
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeastern, PA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Hi, I need the ID of this item. It was found in a creek near some 1700's houses. It appears to be copper and was once plated with brass or gold. It is also hollow and there are no makers marks on it. Any help would be great. Thanks.
HPIM01703.jpg

HPIM0171.jpg

HPIM0174.jpg
 
Mattkoz said:
Well all i did was get some of this black, crusty stuff out of the hole on it, It looks like somthing went into it and there is another layer of brass under the layer of the black stuff. I'm going to a big antique shop this week so i'll ask some people at the place to see if they know what it is.

:thumbsup:


This is a tough one to figure out. I was certain it was a swagger stick and should've paid more attention to the size of the item. To bad it's not smaller, it would be correctly ID'ed by now. :D


Regards,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Mattkoz said:
Well, it looks like the thing was a sheet of copper that was bent into the shape and then the oval thing at the end was a seperate piece and the smaller edge has the copper kind of rolled up.
Thanks for the new pics. It sounds like thin copper rolled over wood with an end piece all soldered together just like you described. In the end may be whats left of an old steel piece that attached to something else. I still think it could be a parasol.

Save the black magnetic stuff. It may be a key to the ID.
 
Upvote 0
I would lean towards the mans umbrella handle, it's too big around to be held by a lady. vintage golf club handles were made of leather
 
Upvote 0
Matt's dad here. Just throwing in my opinion as to what I think it is. My guess is that it's an umbrella handle. I have to expertise to back it up, but it just seems to fit what it could be.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • umbrella handle.webp
    umbrella handle.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
no exact matches but real close as far as shape and size.

its a good place to start
 
Upvote 0
beaks said:
no exact matches but real close as far as shape and size.

its a good place to start
Ive been looking at parasals for some time now since several members mentioned it and I looked at all of yours and I cant find a match. But I agree with you that I think its possible to be a thin copper covered wooden parasol handle.
 
Upvote 0
Well, i just went to the antique shop yesterday and they said they did,nt know what it was but were kid of leaning towards an umbrella handle, but i still dont know for sure what it is.
 
Upvote 0
The black stuff you dug out makes me think carbon. The brass or copper lining make me thing conductivity. Some kind of electrial conductor? Lightening rod? Probably a parasol handle but thinking outside the box? Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom