UNREAL!!! Exactly One Week Later...Another SILVER from the 1600s!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title almost says it all! Exactly one week ago I found my first silver dating to the 1600s...a 1691 or 1692 French 4 Sol. Today I went back to that field and had just finished hunting for a couple hours and found nothing but a small flat button and a decent quartz arrowhead. I promised the wife that I would be back home at 3pm to take the evening baby shift so at 2:45 I started heading back to the car. Yep, this is yet another one of those "I was on my way back to the car" finds!! Got a decent signal on the F75 and actually thought "Could it be another?" Yep!!! Unlike the first one I found this one is perfectly struck. Luckily the date side is clear but the other side is well worn. Gave it a quick non-intrusive cleaning and done! No doubt about the date on this one...1691!

Officially my oldest coin...again! ;D

Attachments

• more french silver 008.jpg
    more french silver 008.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • more french silver 006.jpg
    more french silver 006.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,228
Upvote 0
What an unvelievable fall season you've had. You have managed to find 2 1600s silvers in a place where you thought you'd only find some good points. Their has got to be a site somewhere in the area, and a good one to. I'd say that becomming a daddy has given you some good luck.....not that you needed it (i'm referring to your beltplate of course). All I can say is well done.

James
HomesteadHunter.

HomesteadHunter said:
What an unvelievable fall season you've had. You have managed to find 2 1600s silvers in a place where you thought you'd only find some good points. Their has got to be a site somewhere in the area, and a good one to. I'd say that becomming a daddy has given you some good luck.....not that you needed it (i'm referring to your beltplate of course). All I can say is well done.

James
HomesteadHunter.

ahhh the belt plate, a trip down Memory lane. (Inside joke) :D

Romeo-1, that field is proving to be quite good!! Like the others said, there's an early site nearby. You need to get out there again and find it!!

Congrats on an even better find than last time!

Rusted_Iron said:
Romeo-1, that field is proving to be quite good!! Like the others said, there's an early site nearby. You need to get out there again and find it!!

I would think that there has to be a site but I have been all over this area countless times...it's one of my back up sites. The difference is that the area where I am finding these silvers has just been plowed for the first time since I've started hunting the area. The area is most known as a native camp thus all of the arrowheads and relics...I'll keep looking though!

romeo-1 said:
Rusted_Iron said:

I would think that there has to be a site but I have been all over this area countless times...it's one of my back up sites. The difference is that the area where I am finding these silvers has just been plowed for the first time since I've started hunting the area. The area is most known as a native camp thus all of the arrowheads and relics...I'll keep looking though!

Did you find any metal at all with in 50' of the coins?

Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Rusted_Iron said:

Copper scraps...lots of copper scraps. Very little iron in the area though. I have no idea what the copper is from but 8 out of 10 targets is this copper scrap.

romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Rusted_Iron said:

Copper scraps...lots of copper scraps. Very little iron in the area though. I have no idea what the copper is from but 8 out of 10 targets is this copper scrap.

If thin doesn't sound like it's as early as where the coin came from. Really weird finding two coins like that and nothing else. Starting to seem like a random drop, both at the same time. (maybe there will be another)

Copper scraps are actually more like melted copper slag. The area where I found these two silvers is still relatively unsearched. Both coins were found at the end of the hunts so I still haven't effectively gridded the area...would not be surprised to find more...

romeo-1 said:
I still haven't effectively gridded the area

So can you tell us what's wrong with you? :icon_scratch: Guess I'll have to tune in next Saturday!

Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
I still haven't effectively gridded the area

So can you tell us what's wrong with you? :icon_scratch: Guess I'll have to tune in next Saturday!

My hunting time is limited. I'll get to it...probably before next Saturday...

Not only is it a 1600s find, but it is Silver--and it isn't worn flat... quite a find you made today.

Congratulations,

Buckles

Quick ! Somebody get a bucket of water. This man is ON FIRE. I'm sure you pinched yourself to see if you were dreaming. I don't even think this would happen in a dream. Keep showing us all how it's done. :thumbsup:
Chris

That is the difference between you and Iron Patch. You dig those high hits and end up with 300 year old silver coins. He digs low hits and ends up with a button that is crumbly. You are definitely showing him that coins are the diggity dog. :laughing9: :headbang:

Kirk

Really a tremendous looking coin! Congratulations you lucky dog! The Hogge

Nice silver coin! That is just some cruddy patina build up, the reverse would clean up nicely if you dare. That kind of crud just might flake off of a silver coin. HH, Mike

always the same people!! ;D nice one Romeo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but me thinks you should send some nitro to IP :laughing7:

Bavaria Mike said:
Nice silver coin! That is just some cruddy patina build up, the reverse would clean up nicely if you dare. That kind of crud just might flake off of a silver coin. HH, Mike

I dare! Working on it now!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back