What's new

Unusual Unknown Naval button

Don in SJ

Silver Member
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
4,938
Reaction score
859
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posting for a friend this photo of a button he found a few years back in Virginia near the coastline. He has had it looked at by some knowledgeable people but no answer on it so far. He is leaning towards it being French, I am sure that with the arrow, sun and anchor that enough clues are there to help narrow down this button.

By the wreath design I somewhat see on the back side and the appearance of the shank, believe it to be early 1800s.

Don
 

Attachments

  • BillDNavyUnk.webp
    BillDNavyUnk.webp
    60 KB · Views: 350
Truly fascinating button Don. I wonder if the symbols incorporated into the design (an anchor, arrow, and sun) could have had to do with lighthouse service? (piloting)
 
Upvote 0
John, I was just done googling things like Merchant Marines and such and came up empty, but I think with the era of the button, too many options out there, but without a doubt the 3 objects will be all telling for ID in the end. I have this gut feeling I have seen this design before, now to search the memory bank, need that light bulb to turn on. :tongue3:

Don
 
Upvote 0
I have no idea really, but just thought I would think out loud......

I don't think its British although it may have been British Manufacture (as it has that feel/look about it).

Could be some sort of early Merchant Navy?

Might even be very late 1700s, ie. 1790s (if not your early 1800s guess is likely)
 
Upvote 0
I'm almost sure I posted an ID for that way back when, but don't remember where I got it.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom