What's new

Update from Yesterdays Post...something VERY interesting that made me VERY happy!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
1,677
Reaction score
2,475
Golden Thread
5
Location
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update from Yesterday's Post...something VERY interesting that made me VERY happy!

So yesterday while I posted my finds, I eluded to the silver trade item. Over the last few hours I've had a few folks contact me with interesting news. I suspected that it was a early trade tinkler or perhaps earring. But check these out. The silver one is my find, the bronze ones are roman and the gold is Byzantine...it appears that this is a fairly early and crude design. It is not uncommon for roman items to surface at 1600 sites here in the states (they were collectors among them as well). Not saying that it is for sure Roman, but certainly at least know it is in the style with early earrings. This summer is starting out interesting with the colonial rings and now this.

[UPDATE] Muddyhandz down below had ID'd it as an early native american ear-bob (earring). Guess I was right when I first said trade silver. glad to put a final year or date range on this one (1650s-1700s).

Either way, I am more tickled with this find now than even before.

HH

Dan
 

Attachments

  • 1o.webp
    1o.webp
    92.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 1p.webp
    1p.webp
    122.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Byring2.webp
    Byring2.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 198
  • s-l500.webp
    s-l500.webp
    26.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Bring.webp
    Bring.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Upvote 48
Congratulations on your research Dan, nice to see it's paid off with an I.D. of your relic! :occasion14:

Dave
 
Very unique and interesting find - especially from a early colonial US site. Did you find this the same site that you dug the two silver rings? If so you never know what else might turn up at that site It would seem that the inhabitants of the site were definitely into jewelry. Congrats!
 
That's amazing! Wouldn't that be Banner worthy?
 
Wow, that's amazing! Not real purty, but very awesome! Congratulations!
 
That's amazing! Wouldn't that be Banner worthy?

Thats up to the folks that vote and the folks that choose. It certainly is in the list of one of my better finds for the season thus far.

Thanks for the thought though!

Dan
 
Ooooh... It's ROMAN! Woot!

I would not say 100% Roman as I am sure that style continued into the 15th and 16th centuries, but I have been unable to locate an example more modern than the roman/Byz eras thus far. Either way it is early and cool.
 
Congratulations on finding your first 18th century silver ear-bob that was probably lost by a Native at your site.
I have found several at fur trade sites dating from at least the late 1700's or earlier.
A lot of silver trade items were based on old designs....like trade brooches that were just like the ancient Scottish clan brooches.
The two hands holding the heart, double-barred crosses resembling the medieval designs, etc.
Your earring is a typical trade silver "Ear-bob."
Nice find! :thumbsup:
 
Congratulations on finding your first 18th century silver ear-bob that was probably lost by a Native at your site.
I have found several at fur trade sites dating from at least the late 1700's or earlier.
A lot of silver trade items were based on old designs....like trade brooches that were just like the ancient Scottish clan brooches.
The two hands holding the heart, double-barred crosses resembling the medieval designs, etc.
Your earring is a typical trade silver "Ear-bob."
Nice find! :thumbsup:

Thanks man - that makes much more sense and after looking at some examples online (ear-bob was most helpful) I see the design and you are correct they do look just like the earlier ones. Guess I was correct when i first posted that it was a silver trade piece ha ha.

Thanks for the help.
 
That's a fantastic find. First one of those I've seen dug--and I bet they are more scarce in silver than in brass. Just killer.

Congrats,

Buck
 
Very interesting and cool find! Congratualtions! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom