What's new

*"Updated Video "* CACHE or A Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill!!!???

SilverFox167

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*"Updated Video "* CACHE or A Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill!!!???

The day started like any other day, beautiful with birds chirping in the woods and just the smell of nature everywhere, did I mention it was starting to get hot and muggy.
My buddy Todd (makton) and I agreed to hunt along the Illinois I&M Canal (Actually it was Todd's idea). It’s no secret to think that in the canal construction process someone, somewhere along the line had to set down and take a lunch break, or had a hole in their pocket. Well that’s was our thoughts anyway. Those are the kind of thoughts that compel you to go deep into the woods where you know your headphone or your search coil is going to get caught on some little twig or branch. I am sure most of you can relate. It can be frustrating when you have to duck and crawl your way through some areas because of how thick the brush is especially when you are 6’2”.

Well it was getting close to noon and things were starting to heat up and I had enough of the woods. You have heard this story time and again; it was that moment that defined our hunt when I started heading out of the woods to hunt open ground… of course I was still swinging my coil. I knew I only had about maybe 100’ and I was out of the woods. I came across an open space in the woods where it looked like the rocks were piled really high. I got a silver sounding signal and thought to myself; oh it’s just another one of those metal objects I had been finding that sounded like silver. I chose to dig it anyway… To my surprise the object was round and silver looking. I thought no-way! I picked it up and it was a coin. I was so excited I could not tell if it was a silver dollar or a half dollar because of my excitement. All I knew when I washed some of the dirt off, it was a silver coin.

I yelled out to Todd to see if he was in ear shot to come and see the coin I had found. Turned out to be a 1906-D Barber Half. My first one ever and another coin I could strike off my list of finds. I told Todd to rescan the hole and he could have the next coin that came out, because I knew there was at least another signal in the hole. Todd did and he pulled out a 1900 Barber half, he then rescanned again and found a 1906 Barber Quarter. I thought oh man that was on my list of finds also. I said to him ok it’s my turn. I then pulled out a 1900 Barber Quarter, yes another first for me and one more coin to strike off my list.

Todd then began to hunt the area while I rescanned the hole again; and to my amazement another silver signal. I then found a 1908-D and a 1911-D Barber Dimes. Then scanned again and was getting a nickle sounding signal and to my amazement again I pulled out a 1901, 1905, and a 1910 V-Nickles.

In all total there were 9 coins pulled and two of which Todd was able to claim as keepers.

We both knew one thing for sure we are coming back in the fall and hopefully we will have more stories like this to share.

Happy Hunting and Happy Father’s day to all you Dad’s out there.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Pocket Spill.webp

Group Shot Front.webp

Group ShoT Rear.webp

MY Four Barbers.webp

Four Barbers 2 Front.webp

MY Four Barbers Rear.webp

V-Knickles Front.webp

V-Knickles Rear.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

What a great way to spend fathers day! Great find.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

That is a great pocket spill...congrats. Let us know how you do when you get back there.

NJ
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

I dream your reality nightly. You are not in the dream, however. Amazing day you had. Kudos!
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Nice Finds WTG
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Great finds. You had better check out the reverse of that 1912 V-Nickel, it is either a "D" or a "S" Mintmark. Let's us know. HH...Jesse.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Congrats on the excellent finds. And I commend you on your generosity toward your partner. :icon_thumleft:
That's gotta be a real heart pumper to keep getting signals and just keep pulling old coins. 8)
Thanks for sharing and HH.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Rob,
Great finds!!!!!!!!!! I bet that satisfied your itch for a couple of days... Hopefully you are already planning your next trip out to that spot. Lostlake and I may have to pull a road trip.
Jon
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Wow, excellent finds! :hello2: That'll keep you heading back into those woods...

HH
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

extremely awesome coins!
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

All The rock piled up, might be an old rock bran or foundation?
this might have been buried, not a pocket spill.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

zaxfire69 said:
That is a great story and great looking coins. I just wish you would have had the camera rolling on this pocket spill.

Well I did have my cell phone camera and although I did not film the actual digging of the finds I did film the location and the hole where the coins came from.
When I find some time this week I will post the video on YouTube and embed the link on this post.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Magil said:
What detector were you using? I've almost got myself convinced to buy a Minelab.
I see you have one.

Minelab E-Trac
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

manorman said:
All The rock piled up, might be an old rock bran or foundation?
this might have been buried, not a pocket spill.

Rock piles are usually signs of a foundation and that is one of the things I thought myself.
The funny thing is that all the Silver coins were only about 3" down and the nickles were about 4-5". They were definitely deeper than the other coins. Makes you wonder doesn't it?
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Michiganne said:
Wow, excellent finds! :hello2: That'll keep you heading back into those woods...

HH

Yes I was thinking about waiting until the fall, but Todd and I haven't really discussed this yet, but I think a trip will be in order before fall arrives. Will post more as we have our next hunt there.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Michiganne said:
Wow, excellent finds! :hello2: That'll keep you heading back into those woods...

HH

For sure there are other trips in the future.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

pointdlr said:
Rob,
Great finds!!!!!!!!!! I bet that satisfied your itch for a couple of days... Hopefully you are already planning your next trip out to that spot. Lostlake and I may have to pull a road trip.
Jon

John,
Call me up Brett has my number and I would love to take you guys there and also some of the old parks in Chicago to get some silver time.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Nighthunter said:
Congrats on the excellent finds. And I commend you on your generosity toward your partner. :icon_thumleft:
That's gotta be a real heart pumper to keep getting signals and just keep pulling old coins. 8)
Thanks for sharing and HH.

I thought the signals were never going to stop.
Very exciting to dig that many coins.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

coinhunter53 said:
Great finds. You had better check out the reverse of that 1912 V-Nickel, it is either a "D" or a "S" Mintmark. Let's us know. HH...Jesse.

None of the nickles had mint marks.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

lostlake88 said:
Way to go Rob! Many people never find single one of those coins you found in that hole. Those are tough coins to find individually!

Brett that is a find of a lifetime and I have spoken to other people who find it quite uncommon to find those coins in the same hole.
Hey I hope to meet up with you in John sometime in the near future, if not in Ohio, then in Chicago area.
HH Bud and nice find on those agate stones.
 
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Moonshadow said:
Very, Very cool coins!! :o Isn't it amazing what we find going back to our vehicles. It's almost like it was meant to be! Thanks for sharing your story and great pics! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

I know I hear so many stories how a person found some lost treasure at the last leg of the trip or on their way back to their car. One of my buddies did the same thing on the way back to his car he found a Large Cent. Just to think that all of those hundreds of miles, not really sure how long the Illinois Canal is, but I came over the right spot at the right time.
HH
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom