US downgraded to AA.......silver skyrockets on Monday morning?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
ImpurestStewart said:
The USA has been in worst postions before. We will make it.

I am not sure this is true ImpurestStewart. I know that many look at the time period known as the Great Depression as the worst time in US history, and maybe regarding the citizens' standard of living that is true. But back then the gov did not have the debt level it now has and there was still "hope" in the sense that we later became a great manufacturing nation, etc.

Fast forward to today and we have huge gov debt with lots more on the way, plus we have lost most if not virtually all manufacturing jobs to other countries. Right now the standard of living appears good because for the most part people have roof over their heads and aren't going hungry, but in part that is because it takes a while to evict someone for not paying their mortgage and the government food stamps (refers you back to increasing gov debt). As more jobs are lost more people will lose their homes and ability to buy food (back to more gov assistance = more gov debt that keeps piling up).

I hate to use that term "perfect storm", but it does describe what is coming I believe. We will never get those manufacturing jobs back because workers here refuse to accept the wages third world workers accept, so it will not be in the companies' best interests to move back here. Even service jobs are now in foreign countries (like call centers in India, etc), never to return.

Whenever I read where the US will be great and in shape again (economically speaking) I always ask, "how will that happen?". I have never once seen anyone on the internet or on TV explain how it will happen. Even with democrats, republicans, libertarians, the green party or communists, etc. etc. in power nothing is going to change in my opinion.

In my view what it would take to get us back in the position to be great again (assuming the manufacturing jobs and many service jobs are gone for the near future at least) would also bring about an even Greater Depression, and that is to raise interest rates high, then cut almost all entitlements, end foreign aid, etc. The populace would not stand for this though (at least the taking away of entitlements part), so it will not happen.

What I believe is going to happen is that the debt limit will keep being raised for the near future until it reaches a point where the gov cannot pay the interest payments on gov debt. That would be a real gov default because at that point the gov CANNOT keep printing-- printing means selling more bonds/treasuries, etc, and no country is going to buy them if they are not being paid interest on the ones they already own, even the fed reserve (the so called buyer of last resort) would not want to buy them at that point. If a real gov default happens who knows what that would mean?

What is scary to me is that the average American does not even know or think about any of this. They might know things are getting worse in the economy but cannot tell you why that is.

So back to my original point, I do think we are at or nearing the worst time in US history when it comes to the economic situation. But that is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong about everything I just posted.

Jim

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The majority of our debt is held by the S.S. trust fund. We owe ourselves about 10 trillion. China holds 1.2 trillion. The other 3 trillion is held by Japan,Argentina,Great Britian,and the rest is split among other countries. I hate republicans and democrats alike. They both spend too much of my money. One just likes to spend more than the other. Same pile of turds, one is just sloppier than the other. I am 22 years old and scared to death what it will be like when I am 60.

Call me a Plumber

Dec 17, 2007
Hello all, You know a lot of people out there are scratching their butts and not thinking about how to recover from this nightmare we are calling an econnimy(spelling I know). I'll tell you how and that is to nationalize oil and gas under our soil it belongs to the people /government so why aren't we/ they capitalizing on it. We have 2000 years of oil under Montana,Wyoming and the Dakota's alone and yet only a thousand years left in our sun, yeah dudes that thing that gives us light and life so why are we enriching the lives of a bunch of camel herding thugs and idiots and not our own. Wake UP!!! America. Oil is life a blessing from our maker and just one of the many blessings our forefathers gave to us to enrich our lives not the lives of those who wish to opress us by not paying taxes on it simply because they pumped it out of the ground to sell to some other country and thinking that they even made it. Everytime I think of the time waisted on bull%*&! Politics and the Entitled in Washington just feathering their own nests with Ill gotten gains from the pains of their own people, well I better not say! It just pisses me off.
The Plumber,

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, silver is up $1.83 so far here on Sunday night...or about 4%.....I guess we have our answer!!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is up 40$ as well @ 1691 at least for the initial reaction of AA+ it looks like PM's will be getting alot of action! To bad copper is getting the shaft though :-(

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Although I am a big fan of silver, I am glad the bulk of my PM purchases over the past year have been gold. Seems to keep making new highs while silver gets beat down time and time again.

I am currently thinking of Platinum as the next go to metal if it drops relative to gold. Still not buying any new silver unless it gets to 30 or below.

Jim

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
jim4silver said:
Although I am a big fan of silver, I am glad the bulk of my PM purchases over the past year have been gold. Seems to keep making new highs while silver gets beat down time and time again.

I agree. You would figure that if there was ever a time for silver to rise, it would be now. I'm really disappointed in its performance today.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the hunt brothers tried to show the true folly of the paper silver market in the 1980's --they knew that the actual "on hand silver" was only so much * and that the trading houses were playing with "bogus" worthless "paper silver" --basically promising what they knew ould not be "delivered" but since few silver deals actually went to the "delivery" stage the they could get away with it --so the hunts figgered out a way to really hose them * just keep on buying silver opitions , more and more of them --then when you get enough of them -- you demand "actual' phyiscal delivery of the silver--since there would not be enough silver in the market to satisfy the "demand" of the contracts the contract sellers would have to "rebuy" the first silver shipments sent to the hunts to finish filling the other contracts "owed" to them -- the hunts would set the price for silver that they would have to pay to them to fill the other contracts AND they would still have the "new higher valued" silver as well .

the us govt stepped into to "protect?" the commodity market (ie let the uber wealthy scammers off the hook) --the hunts got hosed in the deal ( thats what you get for trying to "corner the market")

gold is the "rich mans" playground -- there much less of it than silver , and its of higher dollar value compared to silver oz per oz -- its easier to move the gold market than the silver market due to the sheer volume of amount gold vs silver market wize.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I wish the Hunt Brothers would come out of retirement lol.

I'm considering selling all of my silver now. Like I said - if it was ever going to make a jump you would think now would be the time.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:

I am currently thinking of Platinum as the next go to metal if it drops relative to gold. Still not buying any new silver unless it gets to 30 or below.

Jim

I totally agree. I'm not buying any new silver unless it goes significantly below $30. I bought a bunch of gold earlier in the year at $1500. It killed me to do it because a couple of years ago I passed on buying gold at $1100 in order to buy a bunch of silver at $16. In the end my silver did much better than the gold did so I did alright. But long term I may find that I made a mistake. I'm not as bullish on silver in the short term now. I got caught up in the "silver is guaranteed to go to $100 by the end of the year" hype when I first got into the PM market a couple of years ago. Upon further reflection I see how ridiculous it was to assume something like that based solely on the "evidence" that was being slung at the time. I am still bullish on silver for the very long term. But I agree with Jim that we could see silver get slaughtered again like in 2008 if the market takes another major dive. I don't see silver going way up anytime soon. I also don't think gold will go up over $1800 either. I think this rise will be short lived and we will end up back around $1600 in a couple of months.

But as I've said many times... if you want to make money, do the OPPOSITE of what I do. It seems to work every time! ;D

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma
Up or down today folks? Up one day, down the next. If you're in for the short term, don't try to predict. Gold will probably correct the next few days. But silver...well that's anybody's guess what those big silver commodity holders will do.

HH

Bentfork

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the panic lil guys sell (huge drop) --the big corp boys buy -- (big upswing ) surprized me not .--old school stock tactics --scare the little folks into selling and then buy up the the stuff they sold on the cheap -- classic * pump and dump and then pick up on the cheap move -- get the market smoking hot to lure in the "suckers" to make "easy money" in the stock market , then cool off the stock markets (crash the markets to make the lil folks "panic sell" then swoop in picking stocks up on the cheap )--repeat this cycle over and over again * steadily "milkimg the cows fiscally "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread