USPS Box Issue, Looking for some input.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening, gentlemen.

*Edit: So apparently I have been blatantly breaking federal law for some time now, and I should not disguise priority mail boxes. Feel free to continue reading, and I would still love advice on where to find small boxes!*

***This is a long post, so here's a brief summary if you don't want to read the whole thing: My post office will no longer allow me to use the 7x7 priority boxes to ship first class packages, but they said I could disguise them. I'm looking for suggestions on how to do so.***

I have just today run into an issue that has thrown a big wrench into my shipping process, and I was hoping that some of the clever and innovative people on this site might be able to help me out. I sell on both ebay and etsy, and I sell a lot of items that weigh under 13 oz. With Etsy in particular I am shipping out at least a dozen items a week, 9 out of 10 being under 13 oz and therefore shipped first class. I discovered that the 7x7x7 USPS box is perfect for my needs, and I've been going through a 25 pack about every 3 weeks.

So here's my issue: I recently sent an item to someone in Seattle, like I have done hundreds of times in one of these boxes. A week and a half later I get the box back, super beat up, with an unintelligible note and a return to sender notice. I checked the tracking, and it was marked "out for delivery". I was a bit confused, so I messaged the buyer. They had no idea what was going on either, so I went ahead and got out a new box, bought a new shipping label, padded the box extra tight, and sent it back. To my utter bewilderment, It was back on my doorstep yesterday, same unreadable note, same sticker, same tracking info. I took it to my post office, they were as confused as I, and they told me to come back tomorrow.

I returned today, and was met with strange and unfortunate news. The usps box that I used that time, and hundreds of other times, was a priority box. The shipping was first class. Which meant that there is one mail carrier who does this one route in seattle that is a real stickler for rules, checks every package before leaving it, and sends back any that don't match up. Apparently no one else cares, because this is the first time out of hundreds that this has happened.

Here's the kicker: now that my post office knows about this rule, they will no longer accept my boxes, which I bring to them almost every day. They said if I find a way to obscure the priority mail symbols then I will be fine, or I need to get new boxes. The thing is, I am a college student in an urban area with only a bike. My alternative box options are slim to none, and I don't have very much spare time.

So far I've come up with 2 options: either wrap every box with brown paper (cons being time consuming, what if paper falls off in transit, having to buy/find paper) or using house paint and a roller to just paint the boxes white right when i get them, when they are still flat. I have a source of tons of paint, but again painting boxes is annoyingly time consuming. Also its winter, so I would have to paint indoors, which would be interesting.

Sorry about the long post, but I would really love some suggestions from all the shipping experts out there. Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open 'er up flat, turn it inside out and ship it. No writing will be on the outside. Although I only ship priority myself, I have a great track record doing it that way.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Open 'er up flat, turn it inside out and ship it. No writing will be on the outside. Although I only ship priority myself, I have a great track record doing it that way.

That was my first thought, but the lil 7x7s have an all-over print on the inside that says "thank you for using priority mail", which kind of defeats the purpose.

GaryInOhio

Feb 19, 2014
Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a criminal offense to use those Priority Mail boxes for anything but Priority Mail. The Postmaster could have you prosecuted if you are known to misuse them on a large scale regular basis. All local post office clerks should know better than to accept one with a first class label on it. At the very least it will be sent back to you. The Priority Mail boxes are provide for free because the cost of the box is built into the Priority Mail fee...it is not built into the First Class fee.
If you want to ship by First Class then buy your own shipping supplies.
Search online or search ebay.
I have purchased bulk shipping supplies on eBay for quite reasonable prices.
The size you need will probably cost about $.50 each in bulk.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a criminal offense to use those Priority Mail boxes for anything but Priority Mail. The Postmaster could have you prosecuted if you are known to misuse them on a large scale regular basis. All local post office clerks should know better than to accept one with a first class label on it. At the very least it will be sent back to you. The Priority Mail boxes are provide for free because the cost of the box is built into the Priority Mail fee...it is not built into the First Class fee.
If you want to ship by First Class then buy your own shipping supplies.
Search online or search ebay.
I have purchased bulk shipping supplies on eBay for quite reasonable prices.
The size you need will probably cost about $.50 each in bulk.

Wow, that is good to know and a bit of a shock, I had no idea! I'm pretty surprised that they were so nonchalant about me just disguising the boxes and never mentioned the fact that I was not allowed to do this. I walk in there 3-4 times a week, frequently with a large stack of those boxes. Not sure why they didn't mention the fact that I was breaking the law! Also bizarre that it took so long for this to happen, I've been using these boxes regularly for 6 months now. Looks like my shipping cost is going up!

But any other box acquiring ideas are very welcome, especially small boxes. I can never find small ones.

Last edited:

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Not sure if you have any within biking distance, but here in Maine more than one craft store type places their boxes out by the entrance/exit doors for people to pick up and use if they want. I have taken a box or two to a time whenever I have been dragged into such a store with the wife. Hope this helps.

T.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i ask places i frequent to hold any for me
then i peel off or tape over any writing and such and re-use
ive wrapped a box in white duct tape also no problem
ive also spray painted a box once but i didnt like it
i still shipped it and it was taken
good luck
HH

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately where I live businesses are pretty few and far between, and almost all of them lock their dumpsters. There's one art store not too far, but they only put boxes out on thursday night for recycling pick up.

Anyways, so I just looked over one of the boxes, and for the first time discovered a tiny note on one of the bottom flaps that says "This packaging...is provided solely for use in sending priority mail shipments. Misuse may (may?) be a violation of federal law"

I guess this teaches me that I should read the fine print more often! Honestly though, if they don't want people making the same mistake as i did they should just put a big "Use of this carton for shipments other than Priority Mail is a crime" on the side, Milk crate style. I have spent many hours with these and I never noticed that little blurb on the bottom. Did the rest of you know about this? Am I just completely aloof?

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, i did ,but then again i only listen to the little voices in my head, lol

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I feel like an idiot now. I mean, the boxes do say "Priority Mail" in big letters, but i guess I just assumed that as long as I shipped under the umbrella of usps then everything would be fine. Lesson learned.

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I feel like an idiot now. I mean, the boxes do say "Priority Mail" in big letters, but i guess I just assumed that as long as I shipped under the umbrella of usps then everything would be fine. Lesson learned.
do you see BIG bold letters that say the surgeon generals warning on cigarettes or any other product that has the important stuff legible without your glasses and magnifier 5x of course and a bright light to see by and the ultimate clyde the orangatangs long arms for focus.
you arent and shouldnt feel like an idiot
it happens to everyone
we just dont admit it
only kidding,lol

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I have a question. If I decide to use one of my Priority boxes as an actual Priority box, not hiding anything, will the cost be the same compared to going in and getting a new box for the Priority service? Thanks. If so, then I'll let them give me a brand new one next time. martin

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. If I decide to use one of my Priority boxes as an actual Priority box, not hiding anything, will the cost be the same compared to going in and getting a new box for the Priority service? Thanks. If so, then I'll let them give me a brand new one next time. martin

Priority boxes are free for Priority Use Only (No added Costs for Priority service )

@Baltimore
Just buy Boxes in bulk and add a little to shipping and handling to cover the cost.

100 New 7x7x7 Packing Shipping Boxes Cartons $Ave | eBay

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I find a lot of small boxes at the dollar stores ….It seems like every time i go in they are stocking shelves ,… And i just look through there mt boxes for they are always on a cart in the aisle and take the sizes i need… Well you got away with it for a long time so you have nothing to complain about……….. Now you have to do what every one else does find a place to get the size boxes you need …. The right way.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every drugstore around me sells Scotch brand boxes. Approximately 7*7 however they are around $2. I use to sell watches many years ago and the price was worth it for it to come in a nice box. This was before the post office gave them away. I think you might find it cheaper and easier to pay the priority price. Depending on the weight of the items sometimes there is very little difference sometimes its substantial.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason they started printing "Thank you for using Priority Mail" on the inside of the box is because people WERE turning them inside out.

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Baltimore
Just buy Boxes in bulk and add a little to shipping and handling to cover the cost.

100 New 7x7x7 Packing Shipping Boxes Cartons $Ave | eBay

Yea, I think I'm going to have to start buying boxes. My items are usually only 6-8 oz, and I'd feel like I'm ripping someone off if I had to charge like $6.00 to send something to California when first class it only costs $2.75. Thanks for the input everyone!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, I think I'm going to have to start buying boxes. My items are usually only 6-8 oz, and I'd feel like I'm ripping someone off if I had to charge like $6.00 to send something to California when first class it only costs $2.75. Thanks for the input everyone!
You would be surprised at the things i ship in bubble envelopes .. You should try them … And you could charge more for shipping ….

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We order various sizes of boxes from the post office around Nov., then use them for Xmas presents for ourselves, then use them for packing items we sell after the 1st of the year. My post office saves us non USPS boxes, bubble wrap, peanuts, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread