Cleveland OH
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II
Fisher F2
BH Landstar
Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Class is way cheaper than Priority Mail, but only allows up to 13oz and does not come with tracking or insurance. For over 13oz Priority is the way to go, especially now that they include free insurance. Parcel Select (formerly Parcel Post) is only a little cheaper than Priority and you don't get a box or free ins...don't know who uses it anymore.
I agree with other posters that many small items can also be safely shipped in bubblewrap or padded envelopes. I buy things from China that arrive safely in padded envelopes.
Envelopes must be more than .25" thick if you use computer printed First Class Package postage labels (like you print from Ebay), otherwise you must use stamps.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can track and insure First Class Packages
https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class.htm

Agreed Bubble mailers are good for many items

Parcel can actually be more expensive than Priority on some items
It really depends on how heavy and how far

I use Parcel Post or UPS for Heavy Items
OR FLAT RATE PRIORITY (IF IT FITS)

Priority for Small and medium Items

First Class for Small / Tiny items Under 13OZ

Media Rate for Books

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can track and insure First Class Packages
https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class.htm

Agreed Bubble mailers are good for many items

Parcel can actually be more expensive than Priority on some items
It really depends on how heavy and how far

I use Parcel Post or UPS for Heavy Items
OR FLAT RATE PRIORITY (IF IT FITS)

Priority for Small and medium Items

First Class for Small / Tiny items Under 13OZ

Media Rate for Books
I'm glad someone gets it. When it comes to bubble mailers, I use the cheap (unpadded) manila envelopes that you get at the dollar store for like 6 or 10 for a dollar depending on the size, and I wrap the item in my own bubble wrap. That is the cheapest method for me personally. All my boxes are free, too many shopping centers close by not to be. Most of them from the local Subway's restaurant. They use a lot of small and medium sized boxes.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI, Uline Inc. sells 7x7x7 boxes for .36. Min.order of 25.
I get alot of boxes from them. It's easier than burning gas chasing down free boxes.
Their shipping time is fast as well.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, Uline Inc. sells 7x7x7 boxes for .36. Min.order of 25.
I get alot of boxes from them. It's easier than burning gas chasing down free boxes.
Their shipping time is fast as well.
lol, I know all about Uline. They are okay. I only stated what works best for me, that's all. Chasing down and burning gas doesn't come into play since it's literally around the corner and across the street from me. Also, you didn't mention shipping costs either for that 9 pound bundle of 25 boxes.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Class is way cheaper than Priority Mail, but only allows up to 13oz and does not come with tracking or insurance. For over 13oz Priority is the way to go, especially now that they include free insurance. Parcel Select (formerly Parcel Post) is only a little cheaper than Priority and you don't get a box or free ins...don't know who uses it anymore.
I agree with other posters that many small items can also be safely shipped in bubblewrap or padded envelopes. I buy things from China that arrive safely in padded envelopes.
Envelopes must be more than .25" thick if you use computer printed First Class Package postage labels (like you print from Ebay), otherwise you must use stamps.

If you purchase postage online, via eBay or Paypal, not only is it cheaper (10-15% off), but tracking is FREE for first class packages. Also I want to point out that ifrst class packages to Canada and other parts of the world get FREE tracking as well online. This makes a huge difference for shipping to Canada. The first package I ever sent to Canada I went to a physical post office. They said the only way to track for a Canadian package is using registered mail. It cost me $20 to ship a 3 oz package. After that I tried online.... $8 and free tracking and the only additional work is signing and dating the postage. I will now ship to Canada without a second thought.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Flip the boxes inside out..but about 4 years ago they started printing it on the Inside.

Just in the last 3 months..I they have "LOST" My sons Xmas gift...3 coins I ordered ( All Seperate) and a Book.

Also, I recieved a Shovel from SaskHunter...which was COMPLELTEY Ripped Open, and retaped.

The USPS is the biggest Piece of SHIII System this country has right now...and I wish nothing more to see them completly fizzle away.

I curretly order thier boxes and get them from the shipping places to use in fires...Bundles of boxes make for a good 20 mins of flame :thumbsup:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Flip the boxes inside out..but about 4 years ago they started printing it on the Inside.

Just in the last 3 months..I they have "LOST" My sons Xmas gift...3 coins I ordered ( All Seperate) and a Book.

Also, I recieved a Shovel from SaskHunter...which was COMPLELTEY Ripped Open, and retaped.

The USPS is the biggest Piece of SHIII System this country has right now...and I wish nothing more to see them completly fizzle away.

I curretly order thier boxes and get them from the shipping places to use in fires...Bundles of boxes make for a good 20 mins of flame :thumbsup:

Maybe your carrier does not like you. :tongue3: I have good luck with USPS . Very rarely do I have any problems and my local post office is excellent.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I curretly order thier boxes and get them from the shipping places to use in fires...Bundles of boxes make for a good 20 mins of flame
thumbsup.gif
Considering the volume they handle on a daily basis, they do a pretty good job in my area. Nothing and no one is perfect. I know some areas of the country have more problems than others. That may have something to do with the quality of person they hire nowadays. I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to pass a civil service exam. Any government run agency is a joke anyway. Their track record speaks volumes. Many gov. run agencies should be privatized, but that's another topic.

PS- Specifically ordering bundles of priority boxes just to burn doesn't make too much sense either. Just saying...

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

You do realize that the alternative shipping methods (FedEx & UPS) generally cost more. In fact, it's a fairly common practice for both of those companies to take in a package & send it to USPS for delivery to another of their locations, at which point they handle the last few miles. If it was cheaper for them to handle it the whole way they would do so. Get rid of the USPS & you will see rate increases.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uline.com. Order as many as you need. 4 x 4 by 4 or 6 by 4 x 4 whatever. Whatever you need and you don't have to worry about using priority mailboxes.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to disagree - I have had nothing but good luck with the USPS. My only complaint is I wish there was a lane at the post office for people who have prepaid as I never leave without a receipt. I have saved a ton of money compared to the alternatives.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree with Joe777Cool. Had great service with usps and only lost one package in t he USA since 1999, over 7000 items shipped. If usps goes the way of the dodo, rates for their competitors will go through the roof.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can almost set my clock by my mail carrier. Even after we had over a foot of snow she was on time delivering my packages.
UPS on the other hand was two days late because of the weather.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually had maybe one problem with usps, and that was a tore up box in the mail shipped parcel post. UPS has torn up a few things, and when I get their boxes, they are always beat up badly. USPS is the way to go. I don't know why you have had problems with them digginindumps. As far as the first class issue, I always use bubble mailers for first class. I know some things won't fit in them, but most things will fine. I guess you will have to buy the boxes in bulk as mentioned above.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mail just about everything in boxes. I can make boxes that only weigh 2 to 3 ounces. A 3 ounce box only costs $1.93 to mail.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use bubble mailers for lots of items also. Walmart has small. Boxes for .50 a piece and up to 2 bucks for a huge box.

I get a lot of my boxes on recyclable day, and stocked up around Christmas. Just broken down and they store great.

Also you could make your own smaller ones out of a big one. If I have a weird sizes item I cut one down or cut a large flat piece and fold it into the square size I need. Some Elmer's then wrap in tape 2 ways like a cross and good to go.

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found the use of a large paper grocery bag, cut and turned inside out makes a good box cover for mailing, and generally can be free for the asking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions