What's new

Utilized flake? Preform? Anything?

-=METAL=-

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2013
Messages
295
Reaction score
183
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, sorry to do this to you all again. Does this look like anything to anyone? Looks worked, I think...

20140930_203305.webp20140930_203652.webp
 
Upvote 0
It looks worked to me and it's either a small Triangle Arrowpoint or a Scraper. Definitely an artifact though.
 
Yeah its a keeper. Hard to determine with quartz on the points sometimes. But it is something
 
It appears to be worked. In the second photo, is the underside flat, if so it may be a thumb-scraper.
 
I am with digger.

I'd say it is a thumb scraper too judging from the only flaking that is evident.
 
Little knife looks like to me nice find!!!!
 
My first thought was that it's the tip of a broken point where the break was knapped to make a thumbnail scraper. Here's one that I found many years ago. Battery went dead right as I was about to take a picture of the other side, but it is bifacial.

scraper2.webpscraper3.webp
 
A lot of points from South Carolina look about like that.
 
Here is one small quartz point I found this year. Kinda crude but all there and probably Woodland Period for mine.
 

Attachments

  • SDC10724.webp
    SDC10724.webp
    361.4 KB · Views: 140
I'd call that a small knife rock.. The one in the original photo looks like a quick made tool like a scraper or to be used as a knife
 
Interesting, I wasn't sure if it was anything because the back does not appear to be worked like the front. I'm on my break from work right now, but when I get home I will post pics of the other side.
 
Many little scrapers and quick made cutting tools are unifaced
 
Uni-face thumb scraper, just like I thought.
 
Here's the other side, thanks for commenting everyone. Just curious, what were they scraping with thumb scrapers?

20141001_180350.webp20141001_180434.webp
 
Mostly muscle and connective tissue from bone and fat and other tissue from the back of hides.
But use your imagination I mean if someone needed to remove a layer of wood fiber from just behind tree bark to create a nest to catch an ember from a spindle to start a fire I'm sure one would have worked also.
They were used so often to clean bone that often little Spurs were chip into them to score the same bone to separate it to make tools with
 
Last edited:
The best part is you found something worked. Now go back to that area and have another look around. GL and I hope you find more, rock
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom