valid research applicants ......does this further eliminate the average citizen.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DEPARTMENT OF STATE Division of Historical Resources RULE NO.: RULE TITLE: 1A-32.001: Definitions 1A-32.003: Criteria for Evaluating Research Requests 1A-32.005: Application Requirements for Non-accredited Institutions PURPOSE AND EFFECT: The purpose of the proposed amendment to Rule 1A-32.001, F.A.C., is to replace references to the criteria for registration in the Society of Professional Archaeologists, an organization that no longer exists, with the Secretary of the Interior’s Professional Qualifications Standards for archaeology, and also to replace references to the “Code of Ethics,” “Standards of Research Performance,” and “Institutional Standards” of the defunct Society of Professional Archaeologists with the “Principles of Archaeological Ethics” of the Society for American Archaeology. For Rule 1A-32.003, F.A.C., the proposed rule amendment clarifies that only museums, universities, colleges or other historical, scientific or educational institutions or societies that subscribe to the “Principles of Archaeological Ethics” of the Society for American Archaeology will be considered as valid research applicants for Chapter 1A-32 Archaeological Research Permits issued by the Bureau of Archaeological Research. For Rule 1A-32.005, F.A.C., the proposed amendment incorporates by reference Archaeological Research Permit – 1A-32 Application (Form HRE4404-13), and provides information on where to obtain a copy of this form. SUBJECT AREA TO BE ADDRESSED: Permits to conduct archaeological research. RULEMAKING AUTHORITY: 267.031(1), FS. LAW IMPLEMENTED: 267.12(2), 267.12(3), FS. IF REQUESTED IN WRITING AND NOT DEEMED UNNECESSARY BY THE AGENCY HEAD, A RULE DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOP WILL BE NOTICED IN THE NEXT AVAILABLE FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE REGISTER. THE PERSON TO BE CONTACTED REGARDING THE PROPOSED RULE DEVELOPMENT AND A COPY OF THE PRELIMINARY DRAFT, IF AVAILABLE, IS: Angela E. Tomlinson, Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State, 500 South Bronough Street, Tallahassee, FL 32399, 850-245-6445, or [email protected]
THE PRELIMINARY TEXT OF THE PROPOSED RULE DEVELOPMENT IS AVAILABLE AT NO CHARGE FROM THE CONTACT PERSON LISTED ABOVE.

" the proposed rule amendment clarifies that only museums, universities, colleges or other historical, scientific or educational institutions or societies that subscribe to the “Principles of Archaeological Ethics” of the Society for American Archaeology will be considered as valid research applicants..."

I think it's pretty clear your average citizen isn't included. It's seems pretty much the same old jargon, just clarifying the recognized new order to make things all nice and tidy.

Last edited:
bottom line only request from "DEGREED" PEOPLE WORKING FOR MUSEUMS, UNIVERSITIES , OR COLLEGES OR OTHER STATE RUN TYPE "EGGHEAD" OUTFITS WILL BE HONORED , normal folks need not apply --because your "too dumb" to know what you need to be doing.

That's an easy one to get around "Become an Archaeologist"

Looking at the standard of the ones out there it cannot be very hard, they give out degrees at university like sweets nowadays especially in the soft subjects like Art, Music and Underwater Archaeology, so if you have a few half days to spare sign yourself up and get access to "Your" state owned information

Does this mean that if a dumb folk performs his research and makes a big discovery without a diplomatic scholarly degree that the discovery won't be gratefully recognized and can't really exist? :icon_scratch::laughing7:

Last edited:
yep -- I'm a prime proof of it . did my proper "research" ==found wreck --have documented "historical "proof" even (the state boys went so far as you say my work was "solid, and well done")--but since I am not "papered" no glory or permits for me especially since I will not agree to basically go in with a "non profieit group" to apply for permitting) --too bad , so sad. move along.

Last edited:
That's an easy one to get around "Become an Archaeologist"

It's easier than that, "Become a Pirate." It does not require getting a degree and you get more respect from others.

OMG...so it is ok to certify police, food handlers, hair dressers, dog groomers, pilots, mechanics, .....

but if you create an organization to certify museum workers and archeologists....that is soooooooooooooo uncivilized and infringing on our rights....

So what would you do if the FKNMS won't allow a metal sector in the water, doesn't recognize a Federal arrest , won't issue you a permit, tells you(me) that you are not allowed to hand fan . than asks you (me) to come down on my nickel and show them where ther is possibly the oldest man made structure in the new world and they have to move sand to get at it. Would you hold them hostage till you get a permit? Or would you succumb for the good of all?

There is a reason you don't need a license to buy a shovel..... cause everybody knows how to use one!
I never met an archaeologist that wasn't a nerd... but then the only one I know is my cousin... and he bought a coffee shop.

OMG...so it is ok to certify police, food handlers, hair dressers, dog groomers, pilots, mechanics, .....

but if you create an organization to certify museum workers and archeologists....that is soooooooooooooo uncivilized and infringing on our rights....
You got it.

You got it.

Are you saying that IF someone spends a million dollars to locate and try and salvage a wreck and they have hired a marine archeologist to oversee the artifacts and preserve them. That it is not OK because some pencil neck State Archeologist is not OK with Private Salvage? If so, Please tell me why a Private Marine Archeologist working with the Private Sector is not trained to do the same job as the State Academic Archeologist??

Old Man: you are basically right when you say that archaeologists employed by the state do not like private salvage. Most of them have had years of indoctrination into the evils of treasure hunting and the sale of artifacts regardless of the quality of the archaeology being done. This results in the foot dragging and general attitude of disdain they have for private guys and archaeologists like me that work for them. On the Whydah we haven't sold any artifacts and the traveling show has been seen by over a million people yet the ivory tower types still look down their noses at us.
My solution is to do great work and share it with the public, this goes up the academics butt a mile!

WHYDAH Diver

Good words Whydahdiver....

Thanks, I could go on forever about the hypocrisy of the ivory tower types!

WHYDAH Diver

It's a shame it's gotten to be this way. One can only imagine the progress that could be made if the public/private sector was allowed to pursue the possibilities without the spiny leash around their throats. Sort of ironic when you think about it...Spain dictating with an iron first and taking whatever they want, but find a Spanish ship and, well, pretty much the same type thing takes place. History has obviously taught some very well. Or not.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back